Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply

ashforbes

ashforbes

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello

So i upgraded my XP to Vista Business 32bit and when i installed Kaspersky it jacked everything up. Thats my first issue. I uninstalled it and it fixed the problems but i want Kaspersky without the issues. I had no problem with it on my laptop with Vista 64bit. Second, did i lose all the programs i had with the XP OS? All the desktop icons are gone. I know there is a old windows folder somewhere in my C drive. Finally i updated and installed new drivers for Vista32 bit but there is a one i downloaded but havent installed called a RAID F6 Floppy. How do i install this one?

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Edited by ashforbes, 31 March 2009 - 10:23 AM.

Advertisements

aLemmer

aLemmer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
All of your profile data (e.g., start menu items, desktop icons) are contained within your old user directory. You should be looking for a directory similar to: "\Documents and Settings\Username\", wherein your profile data will be located.

What exactly happens with Kaspersky that "jacks everything up"?

Edited by aLemmer, 31 March 2009 - 10:53 AM.

ashforbes

ashforbes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
And all that stuff is still usable and compatible with Vista?

Well when i installed it i updated it right after and it said everything was ok. But when i rebooted vista looked like xp, the screen was black, only a recycle bin icon and lots of options were missing from the computer over all. Explorer would not even start. I had some windows pop up saying something wasnt there. It doesnt do it anymore as i uninstalled it but i fear if i try to install kaspersky again it will mess something up.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Upgrading from XP to Vista has been a source of frustration for many users. Oftentimes it's easier to bite the bullet, wipe the hard drive, and start over. I suspect that this comes from Vista trying to import everything that it can from the XP installation - and that minor incompatibilities may sneak in.

I'd suspect that the Kaspersky has issues with some of your imported XP drivers (just a guess on my part). I'd suggest updating all of your drivers to the latest available Vista version. Then ensure that Windows is fully updated. Then try the Kaspersky again.

That being said, the RAID F6 Floppy probably isn't needed as the system is functioning now.
There's several methods to access the driver to see if it's needed.

First, go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Look for any red x's or yellow ?'s - are there any? And, if so, what do they say?

If not, then you can extract the drivers from the installation package and see what versions they are. Then you can compare them with the Controller drivers listed in Device Management. If they're newer, then you can right click on the Controller device and select Update Drivers. When the Hardware Wizard opens, you can point the program at the driver files located wherever you extracted the new one's to.

The easiest method requires that you have a floppy drive (and a blank disk). A USB floppy drive will work for this purpose. Execute the driver that you downloaded and it should ask for a blank floppy. Extract the files to the floppy, and then use the above procedure to point the device installer at the files on the floppy.

Edited by usasma, 02 April 2009 - 07:27 AM.