Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xbox live connection help needed

• Please log in to reply

Rory5000

Rory5000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have comcast as my ISP, and I am pretty much retarded when it comes to hooking things up,

I wanted to know if I can hook up my xbox live through an ethernet cable directly to my comcast cable box...

and if there might be anything I need to know so the process runs smoothly?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...ial-t98770.html give that a read

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Unfortunately the guide DSenette referred to helps you network the Xbox to a computer for media sharing so that won't help you.

Yes you could connect directly to your cable modem if you wanted, however if you also have a computer you may want a router which will allow both the Xbox and computer a simultaneous connection to the internet. Most routers work with Xbox LIVE, but some don't. Most nowadays do -- you're best off with a brand-name router, such as D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Cicso, and so forth. :)

Edited by Belinrahs, 17 April 2009 - 08:41 AM.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Yes, you should be able to directly connect the xbox to a cable modem box. you may need settings corrected on your modem which a quick call to comcast will do this. Just tell them you are trying to run your xbox on the internet and they should be able to walk you through any steps to set your connection up for xbox live.