Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new install of Ubuntu 8.10 boots up to mouse and wallpaper only

• Please log in to reply

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i use k3b for burning iso's, cd's and films

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
this is soo simple.. everythng is already on mandriva... there is no need to go download anything off the internet.... whoa

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
no command stuff as well - apart from removing your extra kernel - which may become a little difficult the more you install stuff

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Im of the opinion that learning to do things by the command line is integral to deepening your understanding of linux. I try to do as much as possible using it rather than the gui. My next step on the linux learning curve is arch. Going to install that once i get some free time on my hands.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i agree, but unfortunatly - or not, as the case may be - linux needs to become more user friendly if it is to seriously compete with you-know-who,
i know it does, and you do, chamber, but what about joe blogs ?

chamber

chamber

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
I totally agree with what your saying, and thats why ubuntu and mandriva are so good at introducing new users. However i do think that some experimentation with the command line will encourage more learning and more forays into the wonderful world that is linux! :)

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
sorry to interrupt.... im big on security and all that.... so i downloaded avg for linux... i tried to update it and it says update process failed. Reason: Sorry, you do not have permission to execute avgupdate.

Also, why when I run a test it tests no objects??

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you really don't need an anti-virus,

for something to infect you it needs to be downloaded - the repositories are managed - if you get it then so do i
a lot of things are .exe's - .exe's will not run on linux

you can get a rootkit, but it will need your root password - and in anycase you are downloading from the repositories - which are fully checked before release,

chkrootkit and rkhunter are rootkit detectors - if you only download from the repositories and not from other sites then there is a slim to nil chance of getting a rootkit

http://en.wikipedia....omputer_viruses

The use of software repositories significantly reduces any threat of installation of malware, as the software repositories are checked by maintainers, who try to ensure that their repository is malware-free. Subsequently, to ensure safe distribution of the software, md5 checksums are made available. Careful use of these digital signatures (which reveal possible modifications by e.g. hijacking of communications using a man-in-the-middle attack or via a redirection attack such as ARP or DNS poisoning), provides an additional line of defense, which limits the scope of attacks to include only the original authors, package and release maintainers and possibly others with suitable administrative access, depending on how the keys and checksums are handled.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok I have yet another question and I am sorry for all the questions.

Im trying to understand KDiskFree

ok im seeing

/dev/sda1 ? 7.7GIB / 42gib 44%
/dev/sda6 ? 61.8gib /home 58.3gib 5.6%

Ok i really didnt know I had two partitions...and one thing i am realising is when i am installing the packages it is being installed onto the small partition which only has 7.7 gigs. I really didnt know it was going to be like this. Is there anyone to choose where I install things or is there anyway to merge both partitions.

Correct me if i am wrong. WHen i first installed mandriva, it set up two paritions... one for the all the updates or a system settings partition and another partion for general use?

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
it is a little confusing - but don't worry,

you have 3 partitions actualy sda1 is called /, sda5 is your swap partition for your virtual memory and sda6 is your /home partition,

if you open dolphin (your file manager) you will see down the left at least 4 icons, the top one is called home and is sda6, the next one down is network, then root which is sda1 and finally wastebin,

/ (or root or sda1) is where your system files are, all software is installed here, you can only change these by being root,
for example, have you installed rkhunter ?

open a terminal and type
rkhunter -c
- you will not be able to run it

now try again but this time its su and enter in the terminal, then your root password, then type
rkhunter -c
this time it will run

rkhunter writes to a file in / so it needs to be root (basically)

your home partition (/home or sda6) is where all your daily files are kept, a bit like documents and settings in windows

your swap partition (or sda5) can be viewed by K > applications > tools > system tools > info centre > memory

as you can see by the piccy, i have 2gb physical ram - but 4gb swap space, giving a total of 6gb ram (roughly)

Attached Thumbnails

• files.jpeg
  • memory.jpeg

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Hey its me again. I am trying to install a microsoft lfecam lx-1000..

i installed some webcam softrware from the reposotories and i ran lsusb and the cam was detected. Any assistance with this one?? WHat exactly will you need from me?

chamber

chamber

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
What software did you install?

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Sorry for the non-clarity....camorama I believe

chamber

chamber

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Try cheese, i never had much luck with camorama. Cant really add much more because im answering from my phone.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
its ok.. im at work right now, so i cant really explain what really I did... ill get to the explaining later on tonight.. thanks again though