Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Speed

• Please log in to reply

ajn1960

ajn1960

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a desktop and lap top, the desk has the router connected to it and running laptop with wirless card to the desk top. whenever the desktop is being used especially downloads or watching movies the lap top is 50 times slower than dial up!!....can i run this lap top directly off the router so i dont need to share with desk top?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hello ajn1960 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

It sounds like you have an Ad Hoc network setup. An Ad Hoc network essentially means that you have a desktop PC (Host PC) with a wired connection to the Internet and all other devices request service from this host. I'm honestly not surprised by the speed issue you have experienced. The Host PC can be "supercharged" with RAM and processing speed and still provide a slow connection to the client PCs such as laptops and other wireless devices.

Here is a visual of what I imagine you have right now:

Ad_Hoc.png
(Click on image to enlarge)

I take it you have a wired router, meaning that the router lacks wireless capabilities. If this is so, it can be fixed very easily.

Please provide me with the make and model for this router. I want to research it first so that I can provide you with the best solution.

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

ajn1960

ajn1960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for the quick response, i will get you the info that you need tomorrow......thanks again

ajn1960

ajn1960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a westel 327w...let me know if you can do something for me....thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I did some quick research on that model.

Does it look something like this? Does yours have an antenna?

Westell.jpg

If so, you already have wireless capabilities. This is also a modem/router combo which makes it even simpler. Let me know if I found the right device.

ajn1960

ajn1960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes, that is the one...talked to an IT guy here at work and i mentioned to him about running a connection from the router right to my laptop...is this an easy fix or do you have something better?....thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If your modem/router combination supports wireless (which is what the antenna is for) then yes. Sad part is that I don't know the menu buttons to hit so you can accomplish that. You might want to call the Internet Service Provider (ISP) to see if they'll help you get started because it's their equipment. The wireless modem/router was designed for this so it should not be very difficult.