Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to clean quarantined disk after WinPC Defender

• Please log in to reply

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
rshaffer61 helped me out with a WinXP re-install problem and referred me over to malware for more help. For the entire thread, see this link:

http://www.geekstogo...ir-t236103.html

The attack:
- had been using McAffee and SuperAntiSpyware for protection.
- McAffee reported infection with "WinPC Defender"
- after this, McAffee disabled, could not be re-enabled
- on restart, SuperAntiSpyware and some Viewpoint something? always crash
(I guess the Viewpoint thing is also malware?)
- network did not work, not able to uninistall/reinstall TCP/IP protocol

The aftermath:
- probably jumped to this before exhausting other possibilities, but decided to reinstall WinXP
- ran into BAD_POOL_CALLER problem described on other thread
- HD, mem OK, so was faced with reformatting, but I still want to recover some files
- Purchased new 500Gb disk, set the existing 80Gb aside for now.
- Have re-installed WinXP, working my way through drivers and SPs. Going OK, but tedious..

Soo... next thing I will want to do is tackle the problem of recovering files from the 80Gb drive without propagating any infections. Is there anything special I should do in this situation? or just proceed with the regular steps outlined in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide?

thanks!

Advertisements