Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD No Longer Working, Internet Wont Connect

• Please log in to reply

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
some time around mothers day my computer started freezing in the middle of writing data to a cd. since then it only got worse. now it wont read a cd/dvd when i insert it but the computer still recognizes the drive. i called gateway tech support they ran me through a few steps that didnt work and they told me i would have to send them the tower. im hoping someone here can help me out please!

i tried deleting the lower and upper filters and doing system restore to a few other dates still nothing.

my other problem is the internet. i tried to reboot vista completely disconnected everything but the mouse and keyboard and it told me i needed a backup disc, which i cannot create because the burner drive does not work, my only option was to cancel reboot and shut down or load vista normally.

when i turned it back on, i tried to reconnect to the internet and it just did not work anymore. i called my isp and after trying a few things out they said it was a problem with the computer and i need to call the manufacturer. they eventually told me i would have to send the tower in.

the modem connects to Local Only and when i right click on the icon on the bottom right and diagnose the problem it says Limited or No Connectivity, but the modem says its connected. internet explorer and firefox as well come up with Page Cannot Be Displayed.

somebody please tell me i can fix this without going through the hassle of sending out my computer and not having it for 1-2 weeks! i ran antivirus scans and no potential threats were found so i dont know what else it could be.

Advertisements

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
as for trying to reboot i typed "bcdedit" after running cmd as administrator n came up with:

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {global settings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
toolsdiplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {ff20a115-a9e4-11dd-970f-a17cb6a06a8a}
nx OptIn

Edited by NorthsideChi, 19 May 2009 - 01:28 PM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking. To do this, rapidly tap the F8 key after the Gateway screen goes away during boot.

If you're able to get in, try this website to diagnose your CD/DVD drive: http://support.micro..._drive_problems
It will install several programs on your system (but I don't know if it works in Safe Mode).

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well i cant get online im usin somebody else's apple laptop 2 log on 2 these forums. there isnt any other way?

i already tried the tutorials and how-to section

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
can anybody help me with this? i cant download anything from online cuz i cant connect. i restarted in safe mode with network connections and it still wont go. if i can get this internet back working i wont ship out the tower and ill try to figure out whats going on with the cd drive.

nothin seems to help. i just dont see how the internet can literally go out completely after trying (and not being able ) to reboot the system.

one minute i got internet, next minute its impossible 2 get, theres gotta be somethin 2 it.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Let's focus on your internet connection, first...

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i tried and all i got was "Ping request can not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again."

i tried like 4 more times typing it over and over and i did not forget to connect the ethernet cable from this laptop to the computer to try it.

that computer gets no connection thats why im using this seperate lap top to reply to u guys but the connection icon on the bottom-right says im connected to an unidentified network with local access. and when i open the network and sharing center window, it shows the Home PC connected to the Internet but from the Internet to the Network theres a red X and even when i try to diagnose the problem none of em help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm just checking things, step by step.

One more time, with slightly different command...

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping 209.85.171.99>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i got:

"Pinging 209.85.171.99 with 32 bytes of data:
PING: transmit failed, error code 1231

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),"

noticed theres nothin else after that last comma, dont know if that means anything but i can see whatever the problem is my cpu is [bleep]ed lol

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Any errors in Device Manager, especially regarding network adapter?
Is it desktop, or laptop? Wired, or wireless connection?

Advertisements

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
no errors whatsoever in device manager everything says device is working properly. its a desktop computer with wired connection.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK, let try some basics. Some downloads may be needed, so use good computer/USB stick (for transfer).

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF):
http://wiki.lunarsof...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
lol interestingly enough, the internet went out in my area for the last few hours so....

i did the first thing u told me starting with the flushdns and it seemed to have been working normally and said i need to restart so i did....still no internet.

i did the next one with the reset.log and reset.catalog and it seemed to be working...i cant remember exactly but i think after doing the reset catalog it said media disconnected for everything...im assuming thats what it was supposed to do tho. restarted the computer....lol still no internet.

im gonna try the 2 download links u told me and see if that helps

Edited by NorthsideChi, 20 May 2009 - 02:30 AM.

NorthsideChi

NorthsideChi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i tried the winsock-fix and it said "Run-time error '53': file not found"...still no internet i have vista tho i think that may be the reason.

i tried dial-a-fix, got 2 winrar files. dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip said archive is either in unknown format or damaged.

the other one leads to secedit.exe and dial-a-fix.exe.

secedit.exe tells me cannot open file: secedit.chm

dialafix.exe tells me dialafix is not ready for vista (yet). there are many changes that prevent the normal operation of dialafix. check the dialafix website after vista has been released in the retail market.

also could it be a problem that im downloading these on an apple lap top and thats whats corrupting the file??

Edited by NorthsideChi, 20 May 2009 - 02:37 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, Apple has nothing to do here.
However, I suspect, your ethernet card is busted. New one ~$15.