Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google vs Bing

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I like Bing. It makes Google's search results appear very dated. The 1990's called and want their blue hyperlinks back. Google still looks designed for dial-up. Both are very fast in today's broadband world. I find the relevancy is equal.

Here's a blind test you can use to see who offers the best results Bing, Google, or Yahoo. Without knowing which search engine they are from until you chose a result: http://blindsearch.fejus.com/ Try it, you may be surprised.

I changed my default engine to Bing, and I've had no reason to change it. I still use Google. Competition is good.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I think there are some tough times ahead for Google. I've never understood the market cap of Google ($129B today). It doesn't take much for someone to change their default search engine. I've done it many times. Anybody remember search.com, dogpile.com, altavista.com? Despite their efforts into many beta applications, nothing makes money for Google like search. If Microsoft continues to improve, and Google sees their search share start to contract, they are going to have a difficult time keeping talent, and innovating.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Interesting test.
I put my name, which is not that common, and word "computer" into the search (Broni+computer), and I must say, Bing came first, Yahoo 2nd, and Google 3rd in accuracy test.
I have to say, I was pretty surprised.

Next I put my first name, and my last name (very uncommon) into the search, and Bing came first again, Yahoo, and Google pretty equal, but well behind Bing.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
I like BING too, but I just haven't gotten around to using it. I have cuil.com as my IE8 homepage, so if I use IE I use that. If I use any of my other browser (chrome mostly) the default search is google so I use that. All in all, I haven't had much time to experiment with bing. From what I have seen, the interface is awesome and the search results are relevant as any. I think the image search is such an upgrade over google though. There is no doubt that I would use bing images ever google. All in all, a search engine is a search engine and as long as I get the quick search I need I am fine no matter what company made it. Haha..... Maybe I'll start using mywebsearch.com. :)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
For those of you, who use FireFox, you need to check the addon
CustomizeGoogle

Now try a search on Google, and a host of alternative engines will be presented at the top of the Google page. No need to enter a new search, they will use the same words you used on Google.

Also, check out the options for the addon. Some nice stuff there also :)

And more on-topic:

I like Bing, but hangs on to Google. As long one doesn't have the edge over the other by larger margins, I see no reason to shift.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Looks like the ads don't have WOT ratings yet.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
I am hoping for that next WOT update. In the mean time I'll use adblock plus.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Here's a blind test you can use to see who offers the best results Bing, Google, or Yahoo. Without knowing which search engine they are from until you chose a result: http://blindsearch.fejus.com/ Try it, you may be surprised.

Sounds strange but I got different results for google when I checked from here and when I actually did a google search...

I searched for my name and it showed that for Bing and Yahoo my facebook profile was the first result and for google it started from the fifth link that was in my actual google search.. Is it something against google?? :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Maybe the guys is a cheater...

DISCLAIMER: I work for Microsoft.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Sounds strange but I got different results for google when I checked from here and when I actually did a google search...

I searched for my name and it showed that for Bing and Yahoo my facebook profile was the first result and for google it started from the fifth link that was in my actual google search.. Is it something against google?? :)

No, it's normal. Google's search results depending on where you're located geograpically (determined from your IP address), and even which Google servers you hit. Try it yourself. Have a friend located in a different country, or different part of the country, do a Google search and compare the results to yours. They will be different, by design.

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

No, it's normal. Google's search results depending on where you're located geograpically (determined from your IP address), and even which Google servers you hit. Try it yourself. Have a friend located in a different country, different part of the country do a Google search, and compare the results to yours. They will be different, by design.

Ask does that too.

Advertisements

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Okay, but maybe :)