Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition - Hal.dll missing.

• Please log in to reply

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Uh, when I run chkdsk /r, all I'm getting so far is the normal recovery console chkdsk /r thing, y'know? CHKDSK is checking the volume, CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery... etc.

Are the blue bands going to come up later? Just wondering.

Advertisements

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Uh.. Help please?
C:\WINDOWS>fixmbr

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record. (Uh oh.)

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

Help? >_>

Edit: This is following Happyrock's instructions.

Edited by LittleWerido, 17 July 2009 - 05:57 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you get to this part

say yes

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

when you get to this part

say yes

Writing new master boot record on physical drive
\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0.

The new master boot record has been successfully written.

I'm doing fixboot now.

Edit: Create new bootsector? I'm assuming yes.
Edit2: New bootsector successfully written.

Doing last step now.

Edit3: Completed all steps, rebooting now.
Edit4: whoa!! Thank the lord, I'm able to get to the login screen! Hopefully if I restart this doesn't change - logging in right now..

Edit5: Wow, I'm so thankful to all the help Geeks to Go has offered me, all of you people who helped me out were so good.

I'm just wondering - is there anything I should to to prevent this from ever happening again? I haven't restarted my computer yet so I'm kinda worried that if I do I'll be hit by another hal.dll error. >.<

Edited by LittleWerido, 17 July 2009 - 06:18 PM.

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello, my problem has happened once again.

After following happyrock's directions, I was able to login, but I was curious if it was fully fixed or not.
I restarted the computer, and lo and behold, 'Hal.dll error' AGAIN.

HONESTLY!!

What is the problem here? I would really appreciate a final solution to this problem, and I don't mean a clean install of XP again - I don't have a good back up of the other important things I have on my hard drive due to the fact that I don't have enough external space (Flash drive full after the Knoppix experience, I backed up as much as I could.).

Like I said, my hard drive is fine, all the components are fine, I did the Diagnostics in the boot menu, etc, etc.

I really want to get rid of this error.. If I have to get an External HDD.. I guess I will have to, just to back up my data so I can be reassured that if I format, I'll be fine.

Edit: I've found out that if I do the same steps Happyrock told me to do (starting with fixmbr) I can login again.

Again - SOS. This Hal.Dll missing error is driving me nuts.. -_-

Forget it, I'm reformatting my hard drive. Somehow the drivers got messed up, so its no use bothering to fix it anymore. I'm just going to back it up and reformat. Thanks for all the help, tips, and advice you all have given me.

Thanks again.

Edited by LittleWerido, 17 July 2009 - 07:36 PM.