Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont stop freezing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "msnmsgr"
+ "Yahoo! Pager"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem with the File Not Found as I see none in the Autoruns
We will deal with them in the next steps.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok i did all of the above tasks you mentioned to do, i made a list of all the Files not found in Autoruns maby that will help let you know what there is and if they are important and if they are safe to delete ..I'm ready for the next step

files_not_found_Autoruns.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hows the system running now? Wait on the next steps until you have responded to this question.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
just 1 question before i start unchecking the start up , how would that affect my comp freezing when im on a web site and make it lagg? im just trying anything to get this working faster and not freeze anymore

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first I'm dealing with system problem as that was what I thought the problem was.
How is the system itself running now after the steps we have done?
If we are going to move onto to the internet then please let me know what browser you are using and what version of that browser.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok my broweser im using is Explorer 8. basically what is going on is my comp is freezing , lagging , cant watch stuff on youtube, cant watch movies, cant use applications on facebook , cant listen to music while basically doing anything inc talking on yahoo , i cant use my web cam while looking at somebody elses , an it will lagg while typing on yahoo messenger, i have programs that i cant upgrade because they are stuck basically and it says they can not be found to uninstall them so i can d/l them again like windows messenger for example, my hd is only half full i dont know if my comps doing this cuz of memory issues , or what the last person who was helping me had me d/l space monger and a whole bunch of other progs , my system is running a bit better but i cant stand the freezeing and lagging anymore

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to run IE without add ons enabled?
If not then try this.
Did you just recently update to IE8 and was this happening before then?

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok here's what comes up when i looked in Ad ons im assuming alot of these aint suppost to be running cuz i dont even no what half them are
so i added pix for u

enabled_1.JPG
_2.JPG
_3.JPG
_4.JPG
_5.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you recently upgrade to IE8?
Was freezing problem happening before that update?

Advertisements

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i updated i belive a couple months ago cuz when i went on some sites it would say i need explorer 8 upgrade cuz i was still running 7 and im pretty sure it was freezing cuz this has been going on for quite sometime

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest uninstalling IE8 and then trying it. If it works then reinstall IE8,
Do this by going to
Add\Remove Programs
Then click on the little box at the top of the window that says Show Updates
Then scroll down till you find the IE8 updates and remove them.
You may be prompted to reboot and if so do so.

The other option is to continue with the instructions on disabling addons and see if the problem exist then.
If it doesn't then its a addon problem.
The last option is to install FireFox and see if it does it with that.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i cant uninstall IE8

and these are the updates it shows i have on my com
at the top thats what comes up when i want to delete the updates it says a bunch of progs might not run properly, so should I get rid of the updates anyway? and i tryed getting IE7 back but it wont install cuz it says i have the IE8 because before when i had IE7 it barley froze im sorry about all the pix im sending i just want to make sure im not gonna mess anything up
jjjj.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you have to find is the Original IE8 update. From the picture it looks like it was sometime around July.
The updates to IE8 will uninstall at the same time.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
this may sound dumb but where do i find it? cuz all i have for IE8 is what ive showed you ....and if i cant find it what should i do