Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing Security Updates in Vista

• Please log in to reply

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey a_to_z,

I have my own professional opinions about Norton's software, but the most recent version is certainly much better than the last several years... Regardless, no matter how good the security software, it can still cause some pretty bizarre issues at times--and that's because it's so deeply integrated with the OS. Sometimes when you hit a brick wall, the best thing to do is try running the computer without the antimalware and firewall software (in fact, I'm helping another user in a different thread at the moment and we're attempting precisely the same thing just to try and pinpoint a cause).

As for reinstallation, your steps are correct; the only issue might be if you do not have access to the original installation executable. I personally am not sure whether it's possible to download a trial version of Norton from any number of download sites out there and then enter a serial number to register it, but I would assume it is since nearly every security suite works that way. If you aren't comfortable doing this you absolutely do not have to, but there are few other things that seem necessary to check at the moment.

Plus, here's the thing: even if we get to the point where this doesn't work, it's probably a good idea to uninstall it before performing a repair install (in-place upgrade) on the Vista installation anyway. Since you currently have access to Windows, it's always a good idea to remove security software before performing such intensive repairs on a system, just to eliminate possible hang-ups during the install.

I know most others who have taken part in our four-page discussion here now agree that a repair install seems to be the only truly logical next step, but short of speaking on their behalf, I would think most techs would suggest the same step I am here regarding Norton (and any security software for that matter) if repairing the OS is not yet an option at our disposal. It isn't the end of the world if we end up stuck without Norton post-uninstall anyhow; you can always take that up with their support team at a later date, and in the meantime, as we try to get this situation corrected, you can go back with any of several free solutions which happen to offer statistically superior protection anyhow.

I hope this makes sense. I am not by any means suggesting that I am confident that removing Norton will fix anything, or that you will experience any sort of problems trying to reinstall it. But all I can do is offer suggestions from an experiential standpoint as a technician. :)

~os

Advertisements

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
os,
Thanks for your very thoughtful answer. After I posted my last reply, I thought, who cares if I can't get Norton back? I'll either buy a new subscription for my husband or go with one of the other programs you referenced (which is what I had my kids put on their systems anyways---free is good, and as you said, often better).

I won't be able to do this til later tonight or early tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Oh--if you're worried about having to purchase a new subscription, don't; as long as you've got your license key, you're golden. Worst-case scenario, you may need to contact Norton to acquire an install file, but that's unlikely.

~os

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one last chance...try creating a new user account...give it admin rights...reboot and see if the problem goes away...

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Oh yes, I think that's a great idea as well.

Although, in the face of both our suggestions, it still troubles me that the sfc was not able to repair files from the recovery command prompt... something that, to me, seems to suggest we have a much larger problem on our hands :)

Edit: I also have another potentially very effective idea now, but please try my above solution and happyrock's as well before we attempt it.

It is to download and attempt a standalone install of Windows Vista Service Pack 2. If the install is successful, it could very well solve most of these problems on its own. This might end up being the only alternative to acquiring a copy of the Vista install media.

I never like giving up. I hope we can solve this.

~os

Edited by othersteve, 21 November 2009 - 07:15 PM.

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
os,

I created a new admin user account but haven't done anything with it yet.
I uninstalled Norton. Windows Defender and Firewall are disabled. I have Malwarebytes installed as well.

What's our next step? Feeling very vulnerable here, lol!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try updating...

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey a_to_z,

After you try that, give me just a few. I'm working on something to try...

~os

Edited by othersteve, 22 November 2009 - 11:25 AM.

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
happyrock,

Using the new admin account, I tried a few different updates including IE8 through the Windows Update service.

Unfortunately, same old same old.

Edited by a_to_z, 22 November 2009 - 11:43 AM.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, I think once more we ought to attempt the more basic repairs before we go any further with more intensive repairs:

We first might try a permissions reset once more just to ensure the System has access to everything it needs.

1. Click Start > Run > type cmd and click OK
2. In the cmd prompt, type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to open Notepad.exe and create a new text file named reset.cmd
3. Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd:
cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
4. Save and close reset.cmd.
5. In the cmd prompt, type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool. This will take several minutes to complete.

Once that is finished, we can try re-registering some of the critical system DLLs that could possibly be causing this problem:

1. Click Start > Run > type cmd and click OK
2. In the cmd prompt, type notepad sfcdlls.cmd and click yes to open Notepad.exe and create a new text file named sfcdlls.cmd
3. Copy and paste the following contents into sfcdlls.cmd:
cd %systemroot%\system32
regsvr32 /i /s ADVAPI32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s CFGMGR32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s CLBCatQ.DLL
regsvr32 /i /s CRYPTBASE.dll
regsvr32 /i /s CRYPTSP.dll
regsvr32 /i /s DEVOBJ.dll
regsvr32 /i /s GDI32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s IMM32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s kernel32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s KERNELBASE.dll
regsvr32 /i /s LPK.dll
regsvr32 /i /s MSCTF.dll
regsvr32 /i /s msvcrt.dll
regsvr32 /i /s ntdll.dll
regsvr32 /i /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s OLEAUT32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s POWRPROF.dll
regsvr32 /i /s RPCRT4.dll
regsvr32 /i /s RpcRtRemote.dll
regsvr32 /i /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /i /s sechost.dll
regsvr32 /i /s SETUPAPI.dll
regsvr32 /i /s USER32.dll
regsvr32 /i /s USP10.dll
regsvr32 /i /s uxtheme.dll
regsvr32 /i /s VERSION.dll
regsvr32 /i /s wrpintapi.dll
4. Save and close sfcdlls.cmd.
5. In the cmd prompt, type sfcdlls.cmd and press enter to run the batch file we created and attempt to re-register the critical SFC DLLs.

Finally, one last time:

1. Click Start > Type cmd and press ENTER.
2. Type sfc /scannow and press ENTER.

*sigh*... Fingers crossed!

If this does not correct anything, we'll have to think about trying a SP2 install. Any other techs have any input on this? :)

~os

Edited by othersteve, 22 November 2009 - 11:47 AM.

Advertisements

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
os,

Ran SunlnAcl tool.

After C:\Users\Admin>sfcdlls.cmd I got
C:\Windows\System32> and nothing else.

Ran scannow, got (again, after about 2 seconds):
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey a_to_z,

Well, I have searched the internet exhaustively and have come to no conclusions about what might be causing the sfc to fail. I am seriously thinking our next step might be to attempt a Service Pack 2 install, but if that happens to fail, it could render the system unbootable. Typically, you can still recover back to before the installation was begun. But just in case, no matter what happens, we need to be sure we have a backup of everything critical on the system.

So what I recommend is to backup all your truly important files. If you feel you need to access the internet, you might consider temporarily installing a free solution such as Microsoft Security Essentials. You can also perform a drive image with a utility such as Acronis True Image. That way, if anything goes wrong, we are not at a total loss; we can then simply reinstall your operating system or recover a drive image to the moment before we attempted the SP2 installation.

I think this is our only next logical step to be perfectly honest, and if it fails, I know of no other recourse than to attempt a Vista repair install if you can get your hands on a Vista installation CD. I know this is probably stressful, but just know this: as long as you back your data up now, you aren't going to lose anything important if the worst occurs. :)

Any other G2G techs who wish to take a look at this, please do. I'd love any ideas before we take the next steps to ensure this is the best solution. I really think we have some sort of pretty deeply-rooted system file corruption in place here, and I just don't know if anything else will begin to solve it.

~os

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
os,

"If you feel you need to access the internet", haha, that's a good one. :) If you feel MSE is adequate for AV I'll use that for the time being, and re-enable Windows Firewall and Defender.

I need to think a bit on the decision to attempt the SP2 install, if you don't mind. The phrase "render the system unbootable" terrifies me. Can the Acronis utility be used if you can't even boot up your system?

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
a_to_z,

Yes, it does work even if you can't boot; you simply boot to the CD. So that will be a viable recovery option no matter what occurs. I would still be sure to back up your documents, pictures, and so on just in case of course.

I completely understand. Chances are, everything will go just fine. It may not solve the problem, but if that's the case, we're not at any sort of loss. It sounds to me like these are the only two reasonable options ahead of us.

I know it's stressful and it's a pain in the butt, too. :) There are enough geeks here where we can get you back to normal again if anything goes wrong. But having an image of the drive would be the ultimate security.

Of course, running your system without updates and an (apparently) damaged kernel is pretty unsafe. So no matter what happens, I'd strongly consider looking at attempting a fix in the pretty near future. For now, though, yes, you can run MS Security Essentials and you should be all right in the interim. :)

I will be here when you are ready.

~os

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
os,

Yeah, I suppose you're right. What method would we be using to try to install SP2? Wouldn't we hit the same roadblocks that have messed up any of the other installs/upgrades?

In any case, I'm assuming this will take a bit of time--possibly Monday/Tuesday afternoon/evening with my work schedule, and I'm sure you have a real life too. :)

I'll do the Acronis backup when I get a chance and let you know when I have that done.

Thanks again!