Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse(mice)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems to me what you are saying the memory is bad.
The screenshots I sent were what you would be seeing and if you get any errors then that means the memory is bad.

Advertisements

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
Yes 1311 errors.
Can you please tell me how to get out of this and return to normal boot order?

With best regards,

Dave.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press the esc key...if that fails press and hold the power button until it shuts off

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Happyrock and if you have both sticks of memory in try testing only one at a time. You may only have one bad stick.
Sorry for the long period in between my replies but I am fighting bronchitis and pneumonia.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello Happyrock,
When it freezes no amount of key pressing does anything so I just turn power off.I did that last night and restarted it.Lo and behold it loaded Windows straight away and ran for about half an hour with no freeze ups before I turned it off before going to bed.Thanks for your help.

With best regards,

Dave.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshafer61,
Sorry to hear that you are unwell.Please look after yourself.I do not expect replies to my dumb question at any given time.I just look now and then at incoming E-MAILS.
My computer seems to have just 1 memory module and so if ,as seems likely,I will have to replace it then I will buy 2 modules. One to replace the broken one and another to up grade from 1MB of RAM to 2MB.
My book says download the Belarc Advisor as this summarises system information and then I will be able to buy the correct type of RAM for my mother board.Have you used this and is it worth doing?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

One to replace the broken one and another to up grade from 1MB of RAM to 2MB.

Hopefully you mean gigs of memory.
Yes the Belarc is a good reference program for memory.
A good one we suggest and it is online is Crucial;.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61
Thank you for your reply and I hope that you are feeling better.
Yes I shoud have said that my computer has 1024 MB of RAM installed.
I did download the Belarc tool and under the heading memory it says Slot "DIMM0" HAS 1024 MB and Slot"DIMM1" is empty.Under drives it says Hard drive status Healthy.
A bit worrying is that it tells me that I have Avast antivirus 4.8 installed also Norton anti virus 2004.
I used the Norton anti virus removal tool but on seeng this I thinking it may not have worked.
I will go to the "Crucial" website and run their on line scanner.
In view of the "Memtest" results it seems certain that I have a faulty memory module unless of course some other component has caused these results to show up.Is that possible?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Highly doubtful another program caused the errors. I'm pretty sure you have a bad memory module. I would suggest repplacing the memory with a new 1 gig stick at least.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
I used the "Crucial" tool and it found two 1GB matches both at £23 inc post and packing (this equates to
$36:80)per module.Both, it is claimed, will fit but I do not know the difference between them.All I can see is that there are different numbers and letters for each type.I can see that one is 2.5V and the other is 2.6V.Should I send to you the details?

With best regards,

Dave.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can but the voltage settings are not that much difference. Since you are going to replace the one anyway it means you will have brand new memory anyway. If you go tomore then 1 gig of memory just make sure you get a matching pair. that way no compatibility issues will arise.

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello rshaffer61,
With regard to buying memory I think that I will first of all buy one module to replace the damaged one as I can always buy another identical type to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM.
Going back to post 168 should I try again to carry out the first part, i.e.testing the hard drive?
Also as computer froze during "memtest" should I try again or is it enough to know that error were found during the 2 hours which it did run?

With best regards,

Dave.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Test failed within the 2 hours so that is enough to show a problem.
I can say with almost 100% certainty it's the memory causing the problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when memtest shows any errors at all...you have to replace the ram

puzzledb

puzzledb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hello Happrock,
Thanks for the message.
An order is going to "Crucial" today to get 1GB replacement RAM by mail order.
I could get it cheaper by going to the computer fair next Tuesday but it means waiting and then having to make a 40 trip through heavy traffic.

With best regards,

Dave.