Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hardware-failure?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well this is really irritating. I guess contacting Compaq is out of the question?

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah it really is...

I doubt they offer much support for an older system like this. Have searched around their homepage trying to find some info. So far in vain.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well everything else is working at this point then?

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes. When I plug in the original RAM it starts just fine. Found that I have to have then RAM in slot1 - else it won't boot. But with everything back it works just fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I guess the only issue now is the replacement of the 1 gig stick with two 512 sticks. I would suggest matching the one you have now to make sure you only have to buy one stick. I'm sorry it didn't work for you with the new memory. :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 January 2010 - 04:41 PM.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah me too... :)

How do you mean matching it? With the original 256meg or the new 1gb?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No with the type but as 2 x 512 meg sticks. I'm sorry I got stupid for a moment and forgot you have a 256 and not a 512

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
No problem :)

Yeah I was thinking the same - going strictly with a PC-2100 266MHz this time. Does the manufacturer have to be the same?

On a site note - with the Medion I tried 1 of it's sticks 1 at a time in the Medion without success. But maybe the RAM-slots or something else failed as well, since 1 of the sticks works in the Compaq. These are PC-2100 as well, so maybe that's the way to go even though PC-2700 was meant to work?

Other than that there shouldn't be any other difference in specs...?

Edited by oviedo7, 29 January 2010 - 05:05 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yeah I was thinking the same - going strictly with a PC-2100 266MHz this time. Does the manufacturer have to be the same?

We normally advise matching sets so there is no compatibility issues. It's possible the Medion may have a bad memory slot.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Oh yeah, well I inteded to by 2 sticks alike, but I wondered if I should go with the make that was installed in the Compaq originally? I guess that wouldn't be necessary.

But I should probably go with PC-2100...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The manufacturer is not so much of a issue as the type. PC2100 is what I would say to go with since you know that is what is installed already. Just match the specs of the memory as far as 168, 184 or 240 pins. Also the mhz is important 333,400 or 800 mhz.
Ecc or Non Ecc, buffered or non buffered.
You can also try to redo the Crucial scanner and attach the link for the results and maybe i can assist you with what to get.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yeah, I will look for some PC2100 RAM and limit it to 512MB.

Through the spares no I found this info on the Compaq stick HERE

Except for the PC2700 spec it matches pretty well with what Crucial came up with: Crucial 1 and Crucial 2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK let me know what you find and i will continue to monitor this topic for your reply.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I want to partition the main drive in a 55gig part for Windows XP and a 25 one for Linux.

My second harddrive would be partitioned in a 35gig part and 5gig one.

Would you recommend using FAT32 or NTFS for these?

I was thinking NTFS for the lot, but maybe it's not that simple?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NYFS for windows and linux sets up its own file type