Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UpsideDown Acer "NOT!"

• Please log in to reply

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes, that is my previous set up. The screen size was 8.4", about 10" each way for the complete tablet.
The Visor thing is taken care of.
I have a old 88' Suburban visor which is larger (even the same color!) and would provide enough room for a 10" monitor.
For cost and reliability the thought was to keep everything "wired" versus "wireless" many because most of the cables are in. (except the VGA for the new monitor)
The keyboard/mouse in the pictures fits nicely in my council between the front seats. You will see in one of the pictures where the keyboard is "plugged" in to the dash,so when done you just pull out the USB, wrap up the cord and stow the Keyboard in the council, flip up the visor and off you go!
The Truck is a 2007 Tundra Double Cab. I have a fittment in the center back that suspends the printer/scanner, so there is no need to get out of the truck to make copies or scans.
There is also a previously installed schumacher 700watt inverter with a solenoid operated by remote switch on the dash, the inverter itself is under the drivers seat. I am going to continue to search for a Monitor.
Thanks again,
Gunn

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
HAHAH why the heck are you asking questions about this thing? you've already got a mobile office set up...just buy a monitor, and take picks of the new setup hehe

judged by the size i assumed it was a tundra, the 08 and up tacomas have a bigger cab than the older models so i had to ask...i like my toyotas hehe

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I am always looking for updated info/products and ways to do things.

My pop always told me "The minute you think you know it all, is when your in BIG trouble!!"

Thanks again,
Gunn

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you're doing a pretty good job with it on the hardware setup side...i think any monitor that's of the right size and weight would work

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Finally found it! Been looking for this for ages. :)

http://www.boostcrui...hp/t448847.html

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks Troy for the http://www.boostcrui...hp/t448847.html Although I am more interested in something that can be multi functional (portable). It was interesting to see the build process and materials that were used. It may be done differently now, things seem smaller and are less expensive. Now that 830.00 price tag for the build depicted would not be a very good deal in todays prices. For that amout a Tablet PC could be purchased and you could still have complete portability!!
Thank you Troy,
Gunn

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I really do hope you post pictures... I'd love to see the finished product.

It seems you are having trouble finding a monitor? Is is the cost or size or what? What are your requirements? I'll put Google to the test and give it the ole' college try. :)

Dsenette... A PRESENT FOR YOU.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Thanks Troy for the http://www.boostcrui...hp/t448847.html Although I am more interested in something that can be multi functional (portable). It was interesting to see the build process and materials that were used. It may be done differently now, things seem smaller and are less expensive. Now that 830.00 price tag for the build depicted would not be a very good deal in todays prices. For that amout a Tablet PC could be purchased and you could still have complete portability!!
Thank you Troy,
Gunn

No worries, you have to understand a few things though: That was built at a time when those very tiny mini-ITX motherboards were only just released onto the market (therefore relatively expensive compared to now), and also it's an Australian build - we suffer higher pricing for computer parts over here. :)

But still pretty awesome. I'd like to build an in-dash PC one day. Something along the lines of what Ferrari posted but I've got a few ideas to make them better!

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Troy,
I hope you did not take offense of my last reply. You guys are the pro's at this, not me! I am just looking for something a little more portable (easily removed and installed). That is why I think using the laptop as the "tower" of the truck system works because all I have to do is pull a USB and a VGA and I'm Mobile! Still looking at Monitors though, There are so many types, VGA, USB, VGA with USB. I just saw one that uses a USB for the input and power for the unit also. The Pyle line looks pretty cool too. I wish I could find more reviews/recomendations regarding these items. My Schumacher Inverter just took a dump on me to.(5 years old) so I will be looking for a inverter. So if you have any reveiws on best inverters, or opinons on the new digital iverters versus the old style let me know.
Thanks again, and I apologize if I came off sounding like a know it all.
Gunnar

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're not coming off as a "know it all". This is a fascinating project and I'm sure there are a number of us following it.

Your "old" setup was pretty classy, and I'm sure that you'll come up with something even nicer with all the ideas being bantered about. I've kinda stayed out of it cause I'd skip all the work, get a tablet PC, and keep it synchronized to the lappy...just as I do with my Droid. :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No offense... I was just helping you understand pricing here in Australia in relation to your comments on the cost. We cop it over here. :)

Following this thread alright! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I just saw one that uses a USB for the input and power for the unit also

that would definitely reduce your wire load there... i wonder how effective 5v is at powering an LCD though. does it have 2 USB inputs (one for power and one for signal?) that would put it at 10v....though if this is like a 7" LCD screen then that might be enough juice to power it..

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
As you all probably Know in my quest to develope my "Tundra-puter" I am looking at and inquiring about various things/subjects.
Firstly, I need some direction on the Monitor thing. There are so many different models, makes and prices. I am looking for no bigger than a 10.4", Built for a somewhat harsh (truck) enviroment that has either a VGA or USB or Both type inputs.
And something that has simular viewing quality to a PC monitor. The one that I keep coming back to is the Pyle PLVW10IW, but it is difficult to tell without "seeing" it. (I'm kind of a likes to hold it and look at it guy)

Secondly, in one of my past posts I had metioned my Schmacher inverter smoked itself, so I am also currently looking for a Inverter. The inverter that burnt up was as 750 watt model that worked great for five years. Now I am seeing what are called "true sine" inverters. What is the difference??
The 750 watt I had powered the lappy supply, my HP all in one printer scanner and various rechargable tool batteries and did it all with NO problems. Do I need a true sine or can I make up for it with a larger inverter?? So much for a fast reply post!!!