Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

time machine ideas

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What about the sunday roast

My revised Time Machine Schedule

• Everyday to be Saturday.
  • Once a week a Sunday will be available. Phillpower2's house for dinner.
  • Dinner will be available for an infinite amount of time, between 1p.m and 2p.m.

LOL! It'd be fun for awhile, but wouldn't it get boring after awhile having every day be the same?

Please see revised schedule. Winner, winner chicken dinner!

:rofl:
The wife gives me a hard time over the mess I cause making a piece of toast :D

Advertisements

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
The revised schedule looks good.

If I were setting up a time schedule I'd do it diffrently. I'd have the regular week, but make the weekends repeat so there'd be 2 Saturdays and 2 Sundays, gives the workers a little vacation time. :)

hhb

hhb

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
According to the theory of relativity, one can only go forward in time, never backward. The technical term for this is "time dilation", not time travel. Once you've gone forward, you can never go back. (Ask anyone who is married. lol)

Unless some new discoveries are made, the speed of light is the universe's speed limit. Nothing can travel faster. Even then, a physical object can only approach the speed of light, not attain it. Mathematically speaking, anyway. Mass increases as an object travels faster. The formula for calculating the mass of a moving object subtracts the speed of the object from the speed of light - and uses that number as a divisor. That would create a divide by zero condition if the object were moving at the speed of light.

Which causes another issue that I see: as mass increases, so does the object's gravity. If a BB could travel fast enough, its mass could become so high that its gravity would exceed the Sun's. That could mess up Earth's orbit and endanger its ability to sustain life.

Now, to answer the OP's question about time travel: millions of people have already experienced time dilation. I have met so many people who are stuck in the past that they seem to have no idea what happened between then and now. These are the people who still think that an Internet is something you set up on the beach so you can play volleyball. Obviously they walked those five miles in the snow too fast.

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
LOL! Once you've gone forward, you can never go back. (Ask anyone who is married.) . I agree also that some people do seem to be stuck in the past.

To me, though I'm not mathematically inclined, I believe that in our 3D universe, going back in time may be impossible. People in a higher dimension can probably do it. Many people in ours don't believe in those kinda things because they can't prove it, can't test it, which is understandable. If there other dimensions, maybe they don't believe in us, either. LOL.

Despite all this, I still like the original idea of the OP. Just remember, there's no going back, so you'll be stuck there. I hope it's worth the effort and time. :D LOL

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Two movies come to mind so far:

Back to the Future (trilogy)

Groundhog Day

Haha! Anyone else got any more classic movies with the feature of time travel? Actually one other comes to mind, Timecop - I haven't seen it all the way through, I just remember my dad watching it when I was a kid.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh and who could forget the time machine in Napoleon Dynamite? :lol:

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Anyone else got any more classic movies with the feature of time travel?

Here's a few that deal with time travel of some sort.

The Terminator
Future governor Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a cyborg assassin transported backward in time from a post-apocalyptic future to prevent the birth of a future rebel leader.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
"Voyage Home" provided the one-time Enterprise crew with an unassailable reason to travel back in time to 20th century Earth: to save the whales.

The Time Machine [1960]
"The Time Machine" traces the journey of a man from Victorian England as he visits three world wars (including a nuclear war in the late 1960s) before reaching the very distant future.

Time After Time
"The Time Machine," the Nicholas Meyer-directed "Time After Time" cleverly uses Wells himself as the protagonist and imagines that the author was able to build a working time machine.

Star Trek
J.J. Abrams' commercially-successful reboot of the Star Trek franchise used time travel as a way to reintroduce old characters without needing to adhere to canon. As a result of intervention from the future, a young Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the original series Enterprise crew will now follow a different timeline through what will no doubt be a number of sequels, including one coming in 2012.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Although time travel is not the major focus of the story, young Hermione does use a magical time-turner device both to attend extra classes (something we would not have done with our time machine, thank you) and to go back a few hours in time to save the day.

12 Monkeys
Bruce Willis plays a criminal who is transported back in time from a post-apocalyptic future in an attempt to prevent the outbreak of a virus that wipes out most of the world's population.

Peggy Sue Got Married
A woman (the Oscar-nominated Kathleen Turner) faints at her 25-year high school reunion, only to wake up back in 1960, during her senior year of high school.

Time Bandits
The PG-rated fantasy follows the fantastical adventures of an 11-year-old boy who, along with a group of dwarves, travels through time and space, visiting such figures as Robin Hood and Napoleon and battling an evil force known as Evil. John Cleese and Sean Connery are among the stars.

Star Trek: First Contact
"First Contact" finds the crew of the Enterprise-E visiting Earth in the distant past (2063) in order to prevent the Borg from changing human history at a key moment in time: Zefram Cochrane's first warp flight.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Mr.Ben....... The best time traveller......EVER! Nobody comes out the closet as good as he.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks guys, I might check a few of those out! :)

Timemachine95

Timemachine95

• Pip
  • 2 posts
so why we not brain storming the ideas

Advertisements

Timemachine95

Timemachine95

• Pip
  • 2 posts
am stilling think about it help me and my time at at least we can hlp me and my team

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
So it seems that in this 3 dimensional place we're in, moving forward is the only way we can go. I sure wish I could go back and undo some really big mistakes- my life would be so different now.

TheBigHelper

TheBigHelper

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I believe Time traveling is not possible and won't be possible in the future. Firstly because time is irrational, something we humans stated just for the sake of ourselves. Time is a concept purely made up by us humans and doesn't actually exist. I can't imagine how altering a thing that does not exist can ever be done. And if time traveling can ever be invented, the inventors would've to do lot more. Where would the time traveled matter/person reach? Would the entire world get affected by the travel? If not, a new dimension, such as a parallel reality has to be made to achieve it. I don't think this will ever be possible. If it's the other case and we do not get affected by the traveling, humans would've already witnessed someone from the future who traveled back to our time. It also creates lots of paradoxes. What would happen a guy from future goes back to the past and murders Einstein or Tesla? :blink:

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
"12 Monkeys" is one of my all time fave films Gilliam's masterpiece :). I would like to go back in time and make the people who cancelled the TV show "Crusade" (1999)after only one season rethink that strategy.

Not mentioned yet but the film "Timecrimes" was great :)