Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I wonder about how internet and computers work

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Why can't all components be like Video Cards and all have a basic driver built into them that all OS's can accept so when your network card as no driver and windows ask you if you want to go on the internet to find a driver (mmmmmm). This way even if working at a low rate you can at least go get your driver to activate all its capabilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does the computer and software businesses are alowwed to sell products that even them know and admit have faults in them (updates after updates). Just imagine if a car company (Toyota) or a children toy company did that they would be sued right away.

I know the computer business is more complex but it is running more and more everything we do from our health system to security issues and in our everyfay life (Lots of businnes stop running if the computers stop working), so shouldn't we make sure that everything works good before we start using it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do browsers start to dowload your product even before you finally say yes to the download, I am saying that because I wanted to download a program the other day that was about 320mo but before I click the final button to start the download my phone rang so i talked on the phone for a little while and when i finished and came back to my computer to push the final button to say yes download it it did not start at the beginning it had already dowladed over 200mo.

I know friends that have a limited amount of internet usage per month (1go to 3go) so if the same thing happened to them but instead of saying yes to the download they say canel before it had supposably started they would have lost 200mo (the system just deletes whatever it had already downloaded) of what they can use in a month for nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:) I have many more but will stop for now. Please vent your frustrations here if you feel like it. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Why can't all components be like Video Cards and all have a basic driver built into them that all OS's can accept so when your network card as no driver and windows ask you if you want to go on the internet to find a driver (mmmmmm). This way even if working at a low rate you can at least go get your driver to activate all its capabilities.

most of them actually do, this isn't up to the OS builder either, this is up to the maker of the individual hardware. if they don't give the OS maker (i.e Microsoft) the proper code/rights to make a default system driver that can be readily loaded with the OS, then it's their fault

Why does the computer and software businesses are alowwed to sell products that even them know and admit have faults in them (updates after updates). Just imagine if a car company (Toyota) or a children toy company did that they would be sued right away.

I know the computer business is more complex but it is running more and more everything we do from our health system to security issues and in our everyfay life (Lots of businnes stop running if the computers stop working), so shouldn't we make sure that everything works good before we start using it

if you're wanting to pay for the testing (this includes hardware, software, man power, buildings, infrastructure, electricity, light bulbs, HVAC, etc.. etc.. etc..) required to test EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE scenario involved in a hardware/software rollout, then this might happen. the difference between a car and software/hardware is that a car has a pretty simple job and a predefined environment for operation. software/hardware doesn't have this luxury. the software/hardware that you buy has to be designed to "fit" in as many diverse systems as possible, and be used by as many people as possible. there's no physical way to test everything to failure to fix all of the bugs. Also, take into account that a car has possibly between 1,000 and 10,000 individual parts(estimation). windows XP has over 50 million individual lines of code. there's bound to be a mistake or two

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
All you said I know and agree with, still I find that to many are careless in releasing their product due to have it out there as soon as possible to then fix problems as they come out.