Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Win7 on a 2nd drive, then using it to replace first

• Please log in to reply

Curs3dfox

Curs3dfox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive on a machine I have vista on, I want to just remove the vista drive because it is failing and use just the drive with Windows 7 on it.

I don't have and dvds or usb keys big enough hanging around my house at the moment, so I had just mounted the ISO of the trial onto a Virtual drive, then installed it to my second drive, it boots perfectly fine when given the option of vista or windows 7.

But if I remove the drive containing vista, which was my primary hard drive before, the farthest I get booting off the drive with windows 7 on it, is a flashing "_" on the screen and it doesn't go any farther, unless I need to wait like half an hour or something for it x.x

Any ideals on how to fix this? Because what I wanted to do is just install windows 7 on the second drive using the first drive to mount the ISO. Which I did. But I wanted it so after I did so, I could just remove the vista hard drive and use the windows 7 one as the boot drive and trash the vista drive.

They're both SATA drives, and the drive that I used secondary and want to switch to primary does not have a master/slave selection it is auto. (Just adding this info so people don't think it is a master/slave problem.

Advertisements

thardy01

thardy01

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If i understand you correctly that would be because your mbr "master boot record" is on the vista drive. You need to install a mbr on your windos 7 drive if your removing the other drive. Im sure someone else would be able to explain it than me, or use google and look up about mbr's