Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - WIN7 64 BIT

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Try to use computer with the above configuration for a while, including shutting down, starting up, etc. and see how it goes.

Advertisements

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have a couple of doubts:

In the MSConfig, the start up tab has Windows 7 OS....I need to disable everything except Windows OS, don't I?

If I disable all services (after hiding MS services), I can't use the antivirus as it is a part of the Zonealarm extreme security suite.

Thank for your help....

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

If I disable all services (after hiding MS services), I can't use the antivirus as it is a part of the Zonealarm extreme security suite.

That's correct. We do this only temporarily for testing purposes.

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thank you again....

I would be pretty concerned about the virus/spywhere as it is a business machine......

BTW, another BSOD when I launched amibroker (www.amibroker.com) this morning. This is a real-time charting application. At launch, it will load the real-time data plugin from IQFeed(www.dtniq.com)....this is the second instance with amibroker/IQfeed combo. I have sent the crash reports to them, updated to the latest data plugin from IQFeed. With the finding of today and update to the latest plugin, shall I still go ahead with your recommendation or wait to assess the system performance with these changes?

regards - SSri

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In that case, you better wait and see what happens.

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
The joy was short-lived!

Amibroker - installed an upgraded version....Few months before, on win7, I uninstalled and delted all the files/folders..did a clean install
Upgraded to latest version of IQFeed plugin for real time to use in Amibroker
I have had some issue with Realtek drivers (for onboard soundcard)....I uninstalled and replaced with the latest drivers from realtek site

all these did not help...

I was slapped with a new BSOD about an hour ago.......I thought I should verify all non-MS drivers...So ran verifier.exe and selected all non-MS drivers. Restarted the machine...the system was shut down with a fatal system error (0x000000c1) Stop:\ c000021a....I restarted the system, selected repair windows error. It could not repair the system...I knew it was something to do with checking the drivers through verifieer.exe. I booted in safe mode and reset the verifier.exe by executing: Start/Run verifer /reset. I can now boot normally. I also ran checked all the disks (three partioned areas of a disk - containing winXP Pro, win7 64 bit and recovery) plus the G drive (Raid 5). They did not return any erros, despite getting C encoutered NTFS error...drive corrupt and unusable.... I ran two passes of Memtest....no error was returned.....

Please advise....Thanks for your help again, Sundar

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I was slapped with a new BSOD about an hour ago

Happened just once?

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yes! Just once between 8 June and yesterday. The dump file of yesterday shows problem with ntoskrnl.exe.......However, since 10 June, I am getting a disk error (event ID11, the driver detected a controller error on \device\Harddisk2\DR3 ...some time DR2 or DR1...

One 500 GB SATA hdd is paritioned into 3....(XP, win7 and recovery)...4 SATA hdd contains raid 5 (hardware raid).....Is the disk error pertains to the paritioned hard disk or raid? I reckon DR is the partion...hence error in Parition 1 or 2 or 3 and not raid.

Schannel and ntfs error are regular features....

I wonder whether I need to remove the parition, reformat and reinstall win7 as a standalone again?

thanks
Sundar

Attached Files

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Yes! Just once between 8 June and yesterday. The dump file of yesterday shows problem with ntoskrnl.exe.......However, since 10 June, I am getting a disk error (event ID11, the driver detected a controller error on \device\Harddisk2\DR3 ...some time DR2 or DR1...

One 500 GB SATA hdd is paritioned into 3....(XP, win7 and recovery)...4 SATA hdd contains raid 5 (hardware raid).....Is the disk error pertains to the paritioned hard disk or raid? I reckon DR is the partion...hence error in Parition 1 or 2 or 3 and not raid.

Schannel and ntfs error are regular features....

I wonder whether I need to remove the parition, reformat and reinstall win7 as a standalone again?

thanks
Sundar

To continue this further, as I was not any way using XP Pro, (1) I successfully removed the XP Parition and made win7 boot only. The win7 resides on a single SATA hardisk, which stays indepdent of RAID5. I ran two tests for hard drive error. (2) Having examined the event viewer, the diagnostic performance (operational) has series of errors on a regular basis at the startup, restart, shutdown over the period of time. The errors are: Critical, Diagnostic Performance, Event ID 100, Boot (shutdown, restart) Performance Monitoring

(1) WD data lifeguard diagnostics - short test showed no issue (SMART). I ran the extended test and went away. The system was shut down, probably half-way through, the extended test. I checked the help files, which do not have any thing related to system shut down during extended tests.

(2) The seatools for windows (both short and long drive self tests failed)....

In summary, I feel dual boot and partition do not appear to have been the problem...And so are the applications. I think whether the WD SATA HDD is failing. If correct, why WD data lifeguard (short) does not show errors. The seatolls for windows suggest running the tests at DoS mode if the window based tests fails. I ran chkdsk from command prompt. It found corrupt files that could not be repaired. The attachments show the screenshot of chkdsk and logs.

I'll now wait for your advise and recommendations including whether I need a spare SATA hard-disk handy?

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by SSri09, 15 June 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If your drive is Western Digital, I'd try to run long test again.

Advertisements

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Posted at 11:41

Hello,

Thank you for your reocmmendation.

I ran skytools for DoS from the boot. It did a long DST test, which also carries out a short test. Both the tests passed and did not show any errors on the hard disk. I did a surface scan using partition wizard; it showed a clean hard drive. Belrac advisor shows the SATA HDD in question is healthy. After all this, I reran skytools for windows. Surprisingly, it failed both the short and the log tests. Since the SATA HDD is where the OS resides, are the tests bound to fail? Any way, I decided to ignore the failed tests of Skytools for Windows and unstalled the application itself as SkyTools for DoS is good enough. I booted with Windows 7 DVD and repaired the OS.

It's been three days since all these tests were carried out. Since then, touch wood, there is no BSOD. All I see is SCHANNEL erros. I had one hard disk error 3 days ago. Otherwise, the systems logs are clean.

Update at 22:17

There we go again. BSOD. Online back up completed at 21:10. It was designed to shut the system down after backup. No other application was runnng. The BSOD appeared at around 10:08. I wonder what else could be causing the problem. It is the same ntoskrnl.exe (driver_power_state_failure)......

I have updated broadcom, intel raid and other drivers. I uninstalled logme-in application, which I rarely use. I doubt whether LogMeIn causes the problem. I updated the drivers, whatever available from the HP site. The bios update for xw8600 is available only for XP and Vista. I migrated to win7. The bios update for win7 is not available.

Regards,
Sundar

Attached Files

Edited by SSri09, 18 June 2010 - 05:43 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Try running the computer with the above settings for a day, or so and see, if that will clear BSOD issue.

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi,

Thanks!

I followed your instructions. On a restart, despite disabling all services (except Microsfot) and clearing all the applications from the startup, Zonealarm extreme security kept loading after the restart. I tried this a 3-4 times in vain. I then left the system in that condition, (1) enabled just Skype and Realtek HD audio in the startup tab with zonealarm extreme security in the background. (2) In the services tab, truevector monitor zonealarm virus and Zonealarm Forefield started despite disabling it. I added Bonjour Service (Itunes) and Zonealarm Idrive backup as I had some backup jobs.

No other heavy real-time applications were running as it is a week end. I put the system to sleep and restarted from the sleep mode at about 7:15 pm today. At that time, I got BSOD. The BSOD showed Kernel_data_inpage_error 0x0000007a. The screen showed problem with the file "dxgkrnl.sys". The attached pdf of windows debug shows this problem. the BSOD.txt is also attached.

Please advise.

Regards,
SSri

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Re-enable everything back.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

SSri09

SSri09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi,

Thank again. I have gone through the malware guide and done the homework to create a new post there.

Regards,
SSri