Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP stuck at Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using a full retail version of the XP disk and is it a original disk or is it a burned copy?
If original then it may be a damaged disk causing the issue.

Advertisements

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK. I am just going to make a huge post of what I did, and what is making things complicated. To Answer the above poster, no it is not retail software, its OEM user created, and no the discs are not damaged nor were they compromised in any way.

MAKE AND MODEL:
Sony Vaio VGN-SZ320P
Windows XP

PROBLEM:
Hangs on Splash Screen, Last driver to initialize is MUP.SYS

ATTEMPT AT FIXING:
-Did a restore of the C: Drive
-Did A system Recovery
-Press F8, Ran
VGA MODE
Boot Logging (when I could still access Safe Mode
All Safe Modes (tells me I need to complete setup and restarts)
-Did a Darik Boot and Nuke
-Reset the settings in BIOS to factory
-Ran many tests to determine proper hardware function, all came back squeaky clean
-Installed a new Hard Drive
-Installed Recovery Discs
All of these attempts at fixing the problem have led to the same result. I believe it is safe to say that the Hard Drive is not the issue. Now, let us take a look at problems that are preventing routine solutions from being applied

ISSUES:
-This is a SONY OEM machine, which means that BIOS is considerably dumbed down, and is near useless to change or to try to edit things. Ask me to try something, and I'll look, but the answer is probably going to be "no, its not there."

-The Computer came with the OS already installed, and asked me to create recovery discs for myself. They were made when the machine was a virgin, and were never used until now. The Recovery Discs only allow you to restore the C: Drive, or to Restore the System.

-Because I have tried reinstalling the "OS" and it hangs at the splash screen, I am unable to finish setup of Windows XP. THEREFORE I have NO access to any Safe Mode, and naturally cannot move to normal desktop.

Please. If you post something, check to make sure that I haven't already tried it. I'm running out of solutions, and I keep being sent back to some basic things that I've tried repeatedly.

ONE THING I WANT HELP WITH: THIS IS OEM SOFTWARE, BUT I READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT HIVES.
Could anyone out there attest to whether or not changing the hives will help. by CHANGE I mean, finding out if they are indeed the culprit, and making necessary adjustments to them.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I appreciate your response and respect that you are trying to make it easier for everyone so you don't repeat steps.
Now let me repeat what I said clear back on post 7:

Mup.sys is one of those errors that is hard to correct. The issue is not mup but whatever driver is trying to load after it. The issue is every system is different so there is normally no way to resolve it without a format and reinstall of the OS.

If your disk are not working then contact Sony and purchase a set of Recovery Disks and start over. If you have data that needs saved that is something that can be done.
We have seen hundreds of these and they all end the same way...Format and Reinstall
I am sorry but it seems I have upset you so I will leave this topic in the hands of the others.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
You haven't upset me, and I apologize if it came off in an angry tone. I'm just a bit hung up on how the recovery discs, which were created when the computer was brand new, could somehow be at fault. I suppose it's possible. Also I wanted to consolidate all of my thoughts since I made quite a few posts that might have been vague and scattered. And also I was trying to bold a few thoughts I wanted to explore.

Let's assume for a moment that this software and hard drive are not an issue when coming to deal with The multitude of problems that are brought up when we say MUP.SYS. it very well could be the discs, but before I go and order a set of recovery discs (or just buy XP and make life easier), what else is there to try and troubleshoot and how?

Edited by BlackJack999, 30 May 2010 - 06:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As mentioned before a repair installation is the only other step to try to fix your existing installation.
You could try a parallel installation but i don't think the recovery disks you made would allow for a parallel installation.
A repair installation may be possible if the recovery disks give you the option of a non destructive recovery. This is just like a repair installation.
Your system has to boot to the cdrom first in the boot sequence to be able to do this.
Other then the above the only other option is to backup your data using a Linux live cd like Puppy Linux and then format and reinstall everything from scratch.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright. Just as a question, what if I download Linux and install that. If it run properly should we assume that it is te discs them or does that not work like that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To install linux you would need to partition the drive if you have any intentions on keeping windows.
If you want to format and install linux on the whole partition then you can always blow the partitions away when you are ready to reinstall windows.
If Linux does work then yes the most logical explanation would be a faulty burn on the recovery disks.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well in the sake of trying to troubleshoot before spending money, I'm going to nuke the drive and install Linux. Will post results probably tomorrow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok we will wait for your results.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Dear god Ubuntu is working. Slight hiccup in which wireless is not detecting my network. So... Where do we go from here or is this te end?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point with Ubuntu working then that verifies the problem was the XP.
Now your options are to try and install again using the recovery disk you have, purchase a new set of recovery disk from the manufacturer of the system or purchasing a new XP and installing everything but you would need to get all drivers for your system from the manufacturer of the system.

knuckleheadTech

knuckleheadTech

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This may not be the help you want but if you are having problems with the wireless in Ubuntu then plug into the network and go to your menu (upper left corner) System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. Enter your password and let it search for drivers.

If that doesn't give you the proper drivers then run your updates. System > Administration > Update Manager. After you perfrom your updates then you can check your drivers again. I have installed Ubuntu on a couple Sony Vaio laptops with Ubuntu and it went fairly smooth as long as I was wired to the network for the updates and drivers.

Again I know that this isn't what you are looking for but at least you can run Linux while you are waiting to purchase Windows. And if you decide to dual boot Linux and Windows after your Windows install disk shows up you still can. Just partition the hard drive and install Windows on the NTFS partition that you create for it and then boot your Linux liveCD to edit your Grub to restore the OS options at boot after Windows is installed.