Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy XP Tweaks

• Please log in to reply

antidrugue

antidrugue

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Few tricks more:

Turn Off System Restore
-Control Pannel
-System (Icon)
-System Restore (Tab)
-Turn Off System Restore (Check the box)

Minimize the visual effects:
-Control Pannel
-System (Icon)
-Advanced (Tab)
-Performance -­- Settings (Button)
-Visual Effects (Tab)
-ONLY KEEP THOSE:
-Show Shadow under mouse pointer
-Use common task in folders
-Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop
-Use visual styles on windows and buttons

Advertisements

mm_akash

mm_akash

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Smokey
Thanks a lot for your informaiton.
Can I ask you a question ?
How do you know this option ? Why don't I know ?
"RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove"

How expart you are !

Thanks again my dear..
bye
Akash

mm_akash

mm_akash

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Dear dinkaragg

Thanks a lot my dear.
I am getting wide knowlege from this site.
Thanks again my dear.

Akash

mm_akash

mm_akash

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Dear All budies,
Love to all.
I always turn off system restore.
Is there any problem ?
Or Is there any big benifit if i use turn on system restore ?

Akash

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
On an XP computer, there is no benefit in having System Restore on any partition that does not have the OS (Operating System).
From MS:
System Restore monitors a core set of system and application files, archiving the states of these files before system changes are made. System Restore also saves a full snapshot of the registry and some dynamic system files. When System Restore detects that the user is not actively using the computer, it compresses the registry and any file copies made.

System Restore requires a minimum of 200 MB of free disk space on the system drive at installation. When the amount of free disk space falls below 50 MB on any drive, System Restore switches to standby mode and stops creating restore points. All restore points are deleted at that time. System Restore reactivates and resumes creating restore points as soon as 200 MB of disk space is free on the system drive.

The files that are monitored or excluded from monitoring are specified in the file %windir%\system32\restore\Filelist.xml. For more information, see Monitored File Extensions.

http://msdn.microsof..._extensions.asp

If you turn off system restore and turn it back on and it works again, the reason is because one of your restore points is corrupt. If you try to restore your computer to 3 days ago and if one of the restore points made between now and three days ago happens to be corrupted, the restore will fail. It needs to have all restore points between today and the day you're trying to restore to. This is because each time system restore makes a restore point it only backs up the changes that were made since the last restore point was made.

Johanna

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
:tazz: Nice tweaks man!! But if anyone wants to use the messenger service....than what??
U c this is a two messenger problem in win XP professional built 2600....i would not like to post this problem here so find it on the main board....
;)

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Thanks this has has a great effect on my computer (it halfed the boot time to 25 seconds) but I can not remove windows messanger. when i type in the comand that was posted I get the error message "Error in advpack.dll Missing entry: launchinfselection" what should I do to fix this.

thank you in advance! :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
In the comand box, did you also enter the ''s? Try it again.

Emery

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
RE: Changing the Start Menu Display speed

When I searched for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay I didn't get a hit, so I just looked for MenuShowDelay and found the location. Thought others might have same problem.

When I found it, I double clicked on the entry and changed the setting to 200, very satsifactory...appears instantaneous, but do not invoke the All Programs when I run the mouse over it quickly.

Thanks for the tweaks, have used several :tazz:

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

One of my personal favorites.
Hacking the Windows XP 'Start' Text
Before you get started, you might want to print out this page for easy reference.

Change the Start text

1. First of all, make sure you download Resource Hacker. You'll need this puppy to edit resources inside your Windows shell.

2. Locate explorer.exe in your c:\Windows directory. Make a copy of the file in the same directory and rename it explorer.bak.

3. Now launch Resource Hacker. In the File menu, open explorer.exe. You'll now see a bunch of collapsed folders.

4. Expand the String Table folder and then find folder No. 37 (folder No. 38 if you're in Windows Classic mode).

5. Click on resource 1033 and locate the text that says "Start." This is your Start button, and now you've got control over what it says! Change the "Start" text to your text of choice. You don't have a character limit, but the text takes up valuable taskbar space, so don't make it too long.

6. Click on the button labeled Compile Script. This updates the settings for your Start button. But nothing will happen until you complete through step #20, so keep going!

Change your hover text

7. While you're here, why not also change the text that pops up when your mouse hovers over your Start button?

8. Right now it says "Click here to begin." Well, duh! We already know that's where to begin!

9. Open folder No. 34 and click on resource 1033.

10. Find the text that says "Click here to begin" and change it to something cooler. Might I suggest "Click here for a good time, baby."

11. Click on the Compile Script button to update this resource.

Customize your Start icon

12. For an added bonus, you can also change the Windows icon to the left of the text, too.

13. Collapse the String Table folder and expand the Bitmap folder at the top of your folder list.

14. Click on folder No. 143 and click on resource 1033. You should see that familiar Windows icon.

15. Go to the Action Menu and select "Replace bitmap." Select "Open file with new bitmap", and locate the replacement image on your machine. Note: The image must have a .bmp extension and a size of 25 pixels by 20 pixels. Then click the Replace button.

Here's the image I've been using instead of the Windows icon, in case you want to use it.

tinyblackwhiteavatar

16. Now that you've made your changes, save the file in your Windows folder with another name, such as newstartbutton.exe. Don't name it Explorer.exe, because that file is already being used by your system. Close all open programs and restart your system.

17. Boot into Safe Mode With Command Prompt by pressing F8 on startup. Then choose Safe Mode in the command prompt.

18. Log on as administrator and enter your password.

19. When the command prompt comes up, make sure you're in the right directory by typing "cd c:\windows" (without the quotes).

20. Now type "copy c:\windows\newstartbutton.exe c:\windows\explorer.exe" (no quotes). Type "yes" (no quotes) to overwrite the existing file, then restart your system by typing "shutdown -r" (no quotes).

When Windows relaunches, you'll see your new Start button in all its glory!

View Post

Will this change the start up text for all users on the machine. Thats what it seems like so just to be sure.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I was wondering if any one knows how to remove recent document folder from a computer (you can not just delete it dose not work). You know some thing in the regersty that I can change or something. And to help suport this place here is a web site that it worth looking at Tune XP

Pryce

Pryce

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the tweeks!!Are you aware of another fix that switches off the password function? Thanks in advance----Lp

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you want to get rid of the Windows Welcome screen, download MS Powertoys' TweakUI
http://www.microsoft...s/powertoys.asp
and you can untick the box "prompt for password on resume" from the screensaver tab in Display from the Control Panel.

Johanna

Seifer

Seifer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the tweaks they really made my computer speed up.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

Tweak #1: Turn Off Windows Messenger For Good

Have you tried to disable messenger, but it still shows in the system tray icon every now and then? If so, this next tweak is for you. To completely turn off Windows Messenger:

1. Go to "Start", the "Run"
2. Type in "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" and press enter
3. Restart and you'll never see Windows Messenger again!

View Post

dose any one know how to do the same to windows media player? there is some thing wrong with the version that cane with my computer and I don't want it take up disk space.

and also Jdm posted a link to www.tweakguids.com I advise everyone to use this guide it has done so much for my computer and I think every one should be able to have its benefits.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 11 July 2005 - 10:19 PM.