Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malwarebytes install time/Check for updates error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
the message is
MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007,0,WinHttpSendRequest)

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

I just downloaded Malwarebytes and tried to install it. At the end, when I clicked Install, I got the same message that is in my original post. I get the message again when I "Check for updates". I did not do a "Remove Program" on the existing Malwarebytes that I already had. So who knows what it's thinking when trying to install a second version. Should I "Remove" Malwarebytes and try to reinstall?

Yes, try that

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Also ...

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I "Removed" Malwarebytes, reinstalled, and got the same message after clicking Finish. That's where it happened before, not "Install".

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.4
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!
AVG Free 9.0
Antivirus up to date!
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Java™ 6 Update 20
Java™ 6 Update 7
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 10.0.32.18
Adobe Reader 7.0
Out of date Adobe Reader installed!
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.4)
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

Ad-Aware AAWService.exe
Ad-Aware AAWTray.exe is disabled!
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbam.exe
AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgrsx.exe
AVG avgnsx.exe
AVG avgemc.exe
````````````````````````````````
DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

``````````End of Log````````````

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I am once again writing you from another pc.

My problems have all returned. As I wrote in a previous post:'

I can’t run ANYTHING now. I tried to run TFC and got the message

Application cannot be executed. The file tfc.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?

I get the same message for anything I try to run. The exe file name changes with the application.

I have lost internet access.

I am getting the bogus "your pc is infected - do you wish to activate your antivirus software" message.

I was on the internet this evening when it happened. I was experimenting with the google/yahoo virus I have, which I wanted to tell you about, which is why I posted the Malwarebytes issue in the first place. I was trying to run Malwarebytes to fix the google virus. This is the virus where google presents its findings, you click your selection, and it takes you somewhere else. I also have a redirect virus which, when you go to some sites, will stay there for a second, then go blank. A message at the bottom reads "waiting for www.google-analytics.com". Since I started working with you, I have been going to only very legit sites like a real estate company, a concert theater, a national recording artist, etc. Maybe the redirect virus took me to a site that gave me the virus again. I did not click on anything on the page it brought up.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Hello
Can you still help me? Thanks.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Sorry for the delay, I've had no Internet access or landline for the last few days

»On a clean pc«
  • 1 - Flash Drive Disinfector
    Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you run it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

»Next«

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your flash drive.
  • Plug the flash drive into the infected PC and copy TDSSKiller to your desktop
  • Extract its contents to your desktop.
  • Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.

Posted Image

• If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

Posted Image

• If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

Posted Image

• It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.

Posted Image

• If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.