Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac compatability with hardware

• Please log in to reply

zombola

zombola

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can help me. i'm wanting to retrieve some files from a broken western digital 500gb My book external hard drive and have found some hardware with a disc of drivers to do the job. I just dont know if it is compatible with Mac Osx 10.6.3 snow leopard.
Here is the link for the hardware/software with details:

http://www.usbgeek.c...hp?prod_id=0349

and here is my original post, posted in the hardware section of the forum:
Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I hope someone can help me.
I have a 500GB Western Digital My Book external hard drive, that died. I got in touch with WD and after various confusing emails, it seems that they couldn't replace my drive and if I wanted to retrieve my data it would be costly and take forever blahdy blah. So i thought surely i could do this myself?
It seems fairly common for the chip that powers the drive to go but the drives seem to remain intact, I've seen people use them as regular HD's.
Unfortunately I have a macbook so no tower to plug the drive into.
I have however, seen various cables on ebay that claim to convert SATA to USB 0.2, this is where my knowledge ends though.
I've managed to open the case of the 'my book' and got what looks like a normal HD out. But I am totally unsure on what cable to purchase.
These ebay ones all say SATA 44 pin etc. And that you obviously need a power source for the drive.
Mine has no 'pin' holes. It has two circuit chip looking things sticking out of it, one large and one small - once I have disconnected the 'power chip'. SO how would I power it? ...via the converter cable?
The sticker on the side has a diagram of these chips ( the --- represents the drawing of the chips) and says:

Master/slave jumper not required for SATA
Jumpered pins 3 and 4 enable PUIS (power up in standby)

P15-------P1 S7-----S1 8642
SATA power Serial data Factory Jumper
Settings

I've found a few people online with the same poblem and tutorials but for different drives with different insides. My question is, does anyone know what kind of cable I need to hook this up to my macbook via USB So that I can retrieve my data?

other details for drive:

MDL: WD5000AAVS - OOZTBO
Date: 24 Jan 2008
DCM: DBRNHTJAHB

Thank you

Alzeimer
Yesterday, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Check this link, this is probably what your looking for.

http://www.usbgeek.c...hp?prod_id=0349

--------------------
Please take note I am French so excuse if I make any English mistakes

I am no expert, just a curious mind
I do not know it all, I just like to know all that I can

zombola
Today, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Hey Alzeimer
thanks very much for you reply. The hardware seems exactly the thing I need. My only concern is that the disc only seems to support windows systems and I'm on MAC OS X 10.6.3 snow leopard. Do you think I would need drivers for this kind of thing?
cheers

Alzeimer
Today, 05:18 AM
Post #4

I do not know, only windows 98se requires drivers anything after does not and they do not mention Mac OS and I am unfamilir with Mac so I really do not know.

Maybe you should start a thread in the All other Operating Systems and ask if this piece of hardware (Chipset: JMicron-JM20339) is compatible with your Mac OS.

Sorry cannot help more and hopefully someoene else will have an answer for you.

--------------------
Please take note I am French so excuse if I make any English mistakes

I am no expert, just a curious mind
I do not know it all, I just like to know all that I can

zombola
A minute ago
Post #5

No worries Alzeimer
Thank you very much for your help
Ash

Thank you

Advertisements

computerxpds

computerxpds

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 44 posts
Yes that will work, I found that exact one here on new egg: http://www.newegg.co...6-014-_-Product But you can buy it from where you found it as newegg does not ship international. :)

zombola

zombola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Perfect! Thanks very much

Peterkorse12

Peterkorse12

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I go through your hardware specification and I am telling you that it will work with your Mac. I also want tot ell you that you have the hardware with good quality so use it on proper way so it will give you the better performance and the risk of its failing will not be that much.

zombola

zombola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks buddy, I have the cable on order so we'll find out soon
cheers

zombola

zombola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nope,
Cables arrived today with no joy. I've got a power supply, with a converter cable to the drive, a SATA cable and a SATA to USB converter cable. Looks like it should do the business but unfortunately it's not. The Power supply works fine, green light comes on and I can hear the drive booting up. It just doesn't appear in my finder.
The package didn't however come with a disc. So, I searched the drivers (from the one tiny piece of paper user manual) which are:

USB SATA/IDE_05E3_0702.sit

...and found some people with the same problem. However after investigating their further posts, it seems the drive just randomly appears when they updated MAC OS X. So I did that, to no avail. Someone seems to think that it has something to do with NTSF? I've no idea what it's formatted to. All I know is it used to work perfectly with this mac and now it doesn't and I can't do anything in Disk utility without it recognising that teh drive is there first.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm seriously considering taking apart my brand new 1TB mybook elite to steal the chip off of that and see if it works.