Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound

• Please log in to reply

Svetiata

Svetiata

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It's been happening often now. It's a new laptop.

Edited by Svetiata, 01 September 2010 - 04:27 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What do you mean you keep losing it?
Does the sound driver stop working in the Device Manager?
Is there no system sounds or is the problem when you are online?
How old is the system?
Is there a warranty on the system?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What do you mean you keep losing it?
Does the sound driver stop working in the Device Manager?
Is there no system sounds or is the problem when you are online?
How old is the system?
Is there a warranty on the system?

Svetiata

Svetiata

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought the laptop about 2-3 months ago. It happens sometimes when I restart it, and there is no sound at all. I go to device manager and there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the device. I tried updating it but it says it's already up to date. When I troubleshoot the problem, it's not detected. I reinstalled the sound driver and it worked for a while, the it happened again like two days later. I reinstalled again, I can hear playback sound, but now the recording device doesn't work; I was trying to talk to someone on Skype and they could not hear me.

Edited by Svetiata, 02 September 2010 - 12:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like you have a faulty sound chip on the laptop. Being only 3 months old i would contact the place you bought it from or the manufacturer and have them repair it under the warranty.
If you don't then the problem could be temporarily fixt as you have seen but it will get worse and then it may not be covered under the warranty.
Better to have them fix it now when it doesn't cost then have to pay to have soemone repair it later. With a laptop there is very little you can fix inside.
The option would be to purchase a external soundcard and again why do that when you have a warranty on it now.

Svetiata

Svetiata

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, thank you for your time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know if my diagnosis was correct.
Hopefully you understand with a warranty we cannot have you open the system because it probably will void any warranty you have.

Svetiata

Svetiata

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought this from PC from Best Buy. When I take it there what else do I have to bring with me, because I bought it when i was in Chicago, and then moved to Carbondale for college and all the manuals, receipt, all that is back in Chicago...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will probably need the receipts to prove you bought it from Best Buy.
Just a word of caution before doing this..make sure you have all your important data backed up because they will charge extra to do it for you.