Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blinking Cursor at Startup

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...you got it. :D

Advertisements

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

If I try to boot from CD, I get that same STOP error message that I got before. The Windows XP CD is June 2006.

I was looking at this Troubleshoot NTLDR but it is written in Greek. I tried pressing R and C at the Windows Setup screen but it does nothing. Then I pressed F2 for the Automated Recovery System, but then it tells me to insert some floppy disk, which I don't have. I'm guessing the BIOS is up-to-date, dunno why it wouldn't be.

I guess I have to figure out how to create a boot disk with those files listed or should I take it back out and try to run CHKDSK on it via my Dell?..

[EDIT] - I went ahead and put it back into the enclosure. When I open it up in 'My Computer' '(G:)' - it opens fine, just has nothing in it and I ran CHKDSK /r g: and got this result

The type of file system is NTFS.
Volume Label is Gateway.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
0 percent completed.

Ooops, apparently CHKDSK takes awhile. At the bottom I see it says 0 percent completed. I thought it was done, but I am running it now, hope it fixes it!!

Thanks,
Jaz

Edited by Jazper, 29 September 2010 - 06:25 PM.

spirit12

spirit12

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having the same problem with my Gateway desktop running Vista. I have OS disk, try to run system recovery & tells me I have no hard drive. Go to dos, no c drive. It won't let me run chkdsk /f or /r cos it is write protected. Only have x drive. F8 does not work. Possible my hard drive is damaged?

thanks,
jj

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
@ Jazper...

Great! That's progress for sure. Keep in mind that, as I mentioned earlier, we may have to run this check more than once to get the file system back. That the disk check is checking the drive at all is a good sign. Let me know how you get on with it.

===================

@ spirit12 ...

Are there any error messages or a BSOD associated with the problem you are having? There are quite a number of issues that can cause a blinking cursor when windows fails to start...error messages can help determine what course of action to take.

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I went to 'My Computer' and right clicked on the Gateway (G:) HDD and then clicked properties. From there I clicked Tools, and then Error-Checking. I checked the two boxes 'Automatically fix errors' and 'Scan and recover bad sectors'. Is this the same as CHKDSK?? Anyways, I ran this and it completed, at the end I only got a prompt saying "Disk Check Completed" and clicked OK. So I took it back out of the enclosure and put it into the Gateway... I did not get the 'NTLDR missing' anymore. However, when I booted from the Windows XP CD I still get the STOP Error message once it says the 'Starting Windows Setup' on the bottom bar.
Blue Screen Message

A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I only ran CHKDSK once if the 'Error-Checking' in Tools is the same thing... took like 3 hours.

Edited by Jazper, 29 September 2010 - 07:39 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running it again only run it from a command prompt as I described in Post #23. At the end of the check it should tell you if it "found and fixed errors".

To close the command session after the check completes, type exit and press Enter.

Jazper

Jazper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
start -> run -> cmd -> chkdsk /r g:

609763327 KB total disk space.
16 KB in 8 files.
16 KB in 13 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
84615 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
609678680 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
152440831 total allocation units on disk.
152419670 allocation units available on disk.

[EDIT] I ran it again for good measure and got the same results.

ugghhh... tried it in the Gateway with the Windows XP CD and got the same error, but I noticed some of the numbers are different...

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADF29C323c0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

The numbers in parenthesis are different if that tells you much of anything. I think it's a compatibility issue. I referred back to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 - though I am not really upgrading, I am downgrading from Vista to Windows XP I suppose...

You are installing Windows XP on a mirrored boot partition that was created by Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. Windows XP does not support Windows NT 4.0 Ftdisk volume sets. If you are running Microsoft Windows 2000, you must convert all Ftdisk volume sets to dynamic volumes before you upgrade to Windows XP. If you are running Windows NT 4.0, break any mirrors and back up all the data on the stripe, the RAID5, or the extended volume sets before you upgrade to Windows XP. Ftdisk sets might not be accessible after the upgrade.

When I enter RAID setup utility, at the top it says 'RAID Mode: Mirrored' and below it lists Disk Model and Capacity 'WDC WD6400AAKS 596.17 GB' it's in the delete column. So confused. I think I will buy and try to install Windows 7 Ultimate.

Last thing, when I go into BIOS, and Advanced BIOS Features and enable boot device 1 as WDC WD6, then boot device 2 as HL-DT-ST, then boot device 3 as Generic - Compatible.. save and exit, I still get that NTLDR missing.

Edited by Jazper, 30 September 2010 - 08:47 PM.