Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I ended up installing my xp pro. Everything was working well this morn. I was having some errors installing new updates..like sp2. I kept getting new hardware found message so I put in my mobo cd and install the drivers, but then lost my internet connection. 2 icons for the network connection. I did a sys restore and now I am getting this The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly and there is a count down of 60 sec before it shuts off and reboots. It keeps doing this. FML

Edited by clixto, 29 September 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may be caused by a hidden infection.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
ok sounds good, but wondering how I can do this if the comp keeps shutting down after 1 min?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried Safe Mode?
Does the issue happen then?

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
yes .(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that may be a issue.
Try this and see if it will help. It seems something is stopping the service and without being able to get into windows to fix it then we will try the recovery console to run the fixes I can suggest.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Now the rcp starts on the welcome screen..don't even have time for the disk to load,plus now I don't have a start task bar

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I'll try booting from the cdrom

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I was able to boot in the cd, but it looks like it is trying to reinstall xp. Should I just reinstall or format then reinstall or just repair?

Edited by clixto, 29 September 2010 - 12:17 PM.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I forgot to mention that yesterday when I was trying to install xp it said I had a possible error on on the drive. I went an replaced the drive for a new one.

I just pressed the recover and it is asking which windows installation would I like to log onto

Edited by clixto, 29 September 2010 - 01:03 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you replaced the drive and it has a OS on it then you would need to format and reinstall.
I suggest you delete the main partition and then reset that partition up. Format using NTFS with a normal format and not Quick Format. Then a fresh install of XP.
Is the OS disk you are using a genuine Microsoft disk or is it a burned copy?

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I formatted it yesterday..took a long time and did a fresh install. this one is burned

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

this one is burned

1st problem. Burned copies usually will not work as files will be missing as you have seen. Second they are not legal and 3rd it is against GTG Terms of Use to assist without a legal authentic OS disk.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I understand. I'm going to exchange the win 7 for another. I'll let u know how it works out

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean by exchange?
Do you not have a authentic XP or Win 7 installation disk?
Where are the OS disks coming from?