Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 upgrade from xp

• Please log in to reply

ryang96

ryang96

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I recently purchased a Windows 7 upgrade disc, thinking that i could use it to upgrade from xp. I was then informed that you cannot do this. Could i still use my windows 7 upgrade disc to do a clean install of the OS, or do i need to buy the full version.

Thanks,
Ryang96

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yes. Boot off the CD and you can do a clean install.
This will wipe the machine and you will lose everything on it, so be sure to back up what you want to keep before you do this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Windows 7 upgrade disc

This will look for a previous Vista version to upgrade from I believe.

Spirit Wolfe

Spirit Wolfe

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Uunfortunately, rshaffer61, is absolutely correct!

You cannot utilize a Windows 7 upgrade disk to perform a full,clean install of Windows 7 operating system. The installation process is different. I would return it to the store (provided the seal is not breached) and purchase the full version of Windows 7.

BUT...I do not know how well this holds true to form....

Within the EULA (End Users License Agreement) from Microsoft you cannot purchase an OEM copy (which is the same as a RETAIL copy but without all of the packaging and "extras") of Windows 7 and install it on a machine you are building for someone. It must have a RETAIL copy installed upon it. I think this is another way for Micro$oft to $cam us out of more money, go figure. :D

;)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You cannot utilize a Windows 7 upgrade disk to perform a full,clean install of Windows 7 operating system. The installation process is different. I would return it to the store (provided the seal is not breached) and purchase the full version of Windows 7.

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows >
Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media
http://www.winsupers...grade_media.asp

Within the EULA ... you cannot purchase an OEM copy ... of Windows 7 and install it on a machine you are building for someone.

Sure you can. But, as soon as you affix the Windows Product Key sticker to the computer you just built, (which is required), YOU, the system assembler are now responsible for end-user support for Windows on that particular computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Within the EULA ... you cannot purchase an OEM copy ... of Windows 7 and install it on a machine you are building for someone.

I agree with Spy on this one as this is what I use to do.
The shop I worked for did nothing but OEM installations. We would custom build a system and install the OS using only OEM disks. Include that disk with the software for the system which normally was nothing more then drivers disk for motherboard and any add on cards.
The reg key was attached to the side of the system and appropriate warranty information for parts included.