Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to iTunes store

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Ok, this one is a bugger. :D

Navigate to Start -> Run and type the word command and press enter.

Once the command prompt loads type the following command and then press Enter.

ipconfig /flushdns

Next, type Exit and press enter.

Are you able to connect now?

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 10 December 2010 - 07:41 AM.

Advertisements

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Still saying network connection has timed out.

Thanks for all your hard work!!

Ness

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, I'm starting to run out of ideas. Let's get a little more "hardcore" here with our approach.

This fix is a little drastic, but solves most iTunes connection problems. Try deleting your user preference file for iTunes. You want to make a backup of the original file before deletion.

Keep in mind that you will lose all iTunes preferences, but you can put back the original file if it doesn't work. If it does, you'll have to recreate any and all preferences you have set.

Close iTunes

Navigate to C:\Users\InsertUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs.xml

I don't know your username, so you'll need to substitute it for the part above where I have "InsertUsernameHere". Once you find that file, you'll want to make a copy first, delete the original and restart iTunes. iTunes will automatically recreate the iTunesPrefs.xml file when you reopen iTunes

If that doesn't work, just close iTunes, and overwrite the new file with the old one you made a backup of earlier.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 10 December 2010 - 12:38 PM.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Well, I think I did the above, although I'm not the best when it comes to doing things like that!
Anyhow, I still get the message that the network connection timed out so no luck I'm afraid.
Also, when my daughter runs Sims, she can't connect to the internet part of that either - not sure if that's connected at all.

Thanks again,
Ness

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Is this a desktop or laptop PC? If it's a laptop, can you take it to a neighbors' house, borrow their internet and see if you can connect?

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
It's a laptop. Have tried to connect via a mobile dongle, but still unable to access the store.
Other laptop running XP is fine - is this just Windows 7 do you think?

Thanks,
Ness

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I know that iTunes works just fine with Windows 7, so it seems that there has to be an issue specific to your laptop. Can you try creating another user on the laptop and trying to access the store that way? If it doesn't work, we can always delete the user. I've seen this work in the past, but to be honest, I'm not sure why it works. :D

Oh, one thing you might try first is to reset your security and privacy options for Internet Explorer. I have read about this working for other people, but it's never worked for me or anyone I've helped, but it's worth a try.

Open Internet Explorer and navigate to Tools -> Internet Options then click on the Security tab. Then click on "Reset all zones to default levels". Then click on the Privacy tab and then click on Default. See if that works.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 20 December 2010 - 12:53 PM.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
No luck I'm afraid. The store just doesn't recognise that I'm connected to the internet.
Bizarre!

Thanks again, Ness

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
So no luck with the new user?

Well, I was reading over this thread to see if I missed anything and came up with another thing we can try. Please go to Start -> Control Panel and type firewall in the Control Panel Search Box. Then on the left, choose "Turn Windows firewall on or off". Try turning off the firewall. I doubt it's going to change anything, but it's worth a shot. :D

EDIT -> Also, please try disabling your anti-virus program at the same time. You can find instructions on how to disable most anti-virus programs here.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 22 December 2010 - 07:38 AM.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Firewall is off and no anti virus installed. Still unable to connect though.
Shall go through all you suggestions again - worth a try!

Thanks,
Ness.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Here is another thing we can try. Open iTunes and then Edit -> Preferences and click on the Parental Control Tab. Place a check mark in the box to disable access to the iTunes Store and iTunes U. Click OK, then close iTunes. Then reopen iTunes and follow the above instructions to uncheck both boxes. Then try the connection to the iTunes store again. You may want to close and reopen iTunes once you remove both check marks.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Still saying network connection timed out.
Thanks for your persistance!
Ness

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you search for the filename iTunesPref.xml making sure to search for hidden files and folders. I know we deleted the one associated with your user name, but we can also try deleting the one associated with the global profile as well.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Says that item cannot be found. Am obviously not meant to buy anything from iTunes!.

Thanks again,
Ness

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Did you make sure it was set to search for hidden files and folders? There should be at least one of the files there. We did delete one, but iTunes will create a new one when it's opened again after the deletion.