Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe error prevents me from logging on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

axon9

axon9

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

At first i was experiencing problems that were exactly the same as the ones that nerium mentioned in this thread (http://www.geekstogo...ately-logs-off/) i tried the fix that was also in that thread and nothing happened.

I then tried this http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545 and afterwards got an error over the blue "windows is starting up" screen that says

"lsass.exe - system error

Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error. A device attached to the system is not functioning. Error Status. 0xc0000001. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot in safe mode, check the event log for more information"

the only thing that i can do is click the ok button which restarts the computer, the error message comes up and the cycle continues. I have tried starting up in safe mode but the same thing happens. I can't even log on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi axon9

Welcome to Geekstogo. My name is Salagubang and I'll be helping you with this problem.

I am still a trainee so all my posts will be checked by an Expert. It's your advantage that there are two people looking at your log but responses may be a little delayed so please be patient.

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you
  • English is not my first language, so please do not use slang or idioms, as this makes it difficult to understand for me.

Due to the nature of the problem, please tell me:

1. Do you have the windows installation handy?
2. What is the brand/model of the ailing machine.

On the clean computer.

• Download the attached Scan.txt and save it to your USB stick.
    Attached File  scan.txt   377bytes   412 downloads
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD

On the infected computer.

• Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :D
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click Custom scans and fixes box, a dialogue box will appear. Choose the scan.txt saved previously on your USB drive.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

axon9

axon9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the quick reply.

I do have my installation CD and my computer was custom-built by a friend and has no speciffic brand.

Unfortunately, because my clean computer is a Mac I will have to run OTLPENet.exe on a friends computer so it may be a day or two before I can do what you have asked. I'll get back to you as soon as I've done it.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

Unfortunately, because my clean computer is a Mac I will have to run OTLPENet.exe on a friends computer so it may be a day or two before I can do what you have asked. I'll get back to you as soon as I've done it.

Have at look at this and see if you can implement creating a virtual machine on your mac. http://www.virtualbox.org

Edited by Salagubang, 19 January 2011 - 05:28 AM.

axon9

axon9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have booted from the cd but i'm experiencing quite a few problems with OTLPE.

Firstly, i am not being asked if I would like to load the remote registy. Secondly, OTLPE stops responding whenever the scan reaches "Users StartMenu".

I have got everything I need backed up on to an external HDD now so would it just be easier to simply reinstall windows?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi axon9,

I am glad that you were able to saved all of your important files. :D A clean install is certainly a better route to take considering the state your machine is in. Let me know if you still need assistance putting it up. ;)

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
*double post*

Edited by Salagubang, 21 January 2011 - 06:51 AM.

axon9

axon9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've reinstalled windows and everything is fine now, thanks for the help. :D

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi axon9,

Please see my recommendations below fine tuning and protecting your computer.

Antivirus Programs
Antivirus program is very important in keeping your machine clean and in tiptop condition. I recommend installing one of these free antivirus If you don't have one installed,
Note: You must install only one antivirus.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Below are links to several programs that will help protect your computer.

Anti-Spyware
I recommend downloading and installing one of the following applications.
  • SpywareBlaster keeps spyware from installing on your system - read the tutorial here
  • SpywareGuard protects your browser and computer in real time - read the tutorial here
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition detects and removes spyware, adware, malware, trojans, rogue software, worms, rootkits, parasites and other potentially harmful software applications - read the tutorial here

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Other things to keep in mind.

Windows, Java, and Adobe products should all be kept up-to-date on a regular basis so the latest security fixes are in place on your computer. Please refer to the following links on how to manage these products.

Here are a few other applications you might consider. Keeping your temporary file area clean, your Windows registry backed up, and backing up your important data are all good techniques.
  • Flush Flash - by Bobbi Flekman - cleans Flash Player cookies
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) - a registry backup utility
  • Cobian Backup - a very good backup utility - read the tutorial here
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
  • Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop
WOT has an addon available for Chrome and Opera.
Please remember that just having these programs is not enough. You must use them. Running a full spyware scan weekly, a full virus scan monthly, and checking for updates and cleaning your temporary files periodically is very important in keeping your computer in tip-top shape.

Finally, please take the time to read the following articles. Applying this information will help prevent future infections:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes
Preventing Malware and Safe Computing by Rorschach112

This article will help you understand how you may have gotten infected:
How did I get infected in the first place?

Be safe out there :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.