Please see my recommendations below fine tuning and protecting your computer.Antivirus Programs
Antivirus program is very important in keeping your machine clean and in tiptop condition. I recommend installing one of these free antivirus If you don't have one installed,
Note: You must install only one antivirus.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Below are links to several programs that will help protect your computer.Anti-Spyware
I recommend downloading and installing one of the following applications.
- SpywareBlaster keeps spyware from installing on your system - read the tutorial here
- SpywareGuard protects your browser and computer in real time - read the tutorial here
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition detects and removes spyware, adware, malware, trojans, rogue software, worms, rootkits, parasites and other potentially harmful software applications - read the tutorial here
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Other things to keep in mind.
Windows, Java, and Adobe products should all be kept up-to-date on a regular basis so the latest security fixes are in place on your computer. Please refer to the following links on how to manage these products.
Here are a few other applications you might consider. Keeping your temporary file area clean, your Windows registry backed up, and backing up your important data are all good techniques.
- Flush Flash - by Bobbi Flekman - cleans Flash Player cookies
- ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) - a registry backup utility
- Cobian Backup - a very good backup utility - read the tutorial here
- WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
- Green to go
- Yellow for caution
- Red to stop
WOT has an addon available for Chrome and Opera.Please remember that just having these programs is not enough. You must use them. Running a full spyware scan weekly, a full virus scan monthly, and checking for updates and cleaning your temporary files periodically is very important in keeping your computer in tip-top shape.
Finally, please take the time to read the following articles. Applying this information will help prevent future infections:How to prevent malware
by miekiemoesPreventing Malware and Safe Computing
This article will help you understand how you may have gotten infected:How did I get infected in the first place?
Be safe out there