Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro, SP3, BSoD - fatal system error

• Please log in to reply

bpym

bpym

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I really hope someone can help me. I'm using an HP EliteBook 6930p, Windows XP Professional, SP 3.

I can't log on to Windows. I get a BSoD with a "STOP 1: C000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

I recently had a string of malware attacks on my computer, and I ran Malware Malbytes and a host of other fixes, but even after their supposed removal, I suspect the computer was still hosting some crap on it because it kept having hiccups. Even before I knew I had malware on my computer, Windows Explorer would frequently terminate after an internal error and restart. Right before my computer finally stopped working, Windows Explorer had given me an error message, but it didn't restart itself. I had a browser window open and could surf the internet etc with no issues, but I couldn't access my start menu, My Computer or any documents or files, the desktop was blank. Looking back, I wish I hadn't restarted the computer then, but I did, and ever since then, I've been unable to log on to Windows. The computer will start-up, I get the HP logo screen, the Windows XP screen, then a normal blue background screen, but the Windows log-on box never appears, and instead a BSoD flashes with the fatal error message and the computer restarts, and keeps going through the above steps in a loop.

I tried starting up in safe mode. I can get to the screen where I can choose to start up in safe mode, but when I select that option, I get the same BSoD and fatal error notice.

I tried resetting BIOS settings to factory default, but it didn't help.

I tried "Last known good configuration", didn't help either.

I waited 12+ hours before powering the computer on again, same thing.

I tried the Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only), got an XP blue screen with this message: "The System is booting in safe mode - Directory Services Repair", then I got a black screen with the message: "Checking file system on C: the volume is clean. Windows has stopped checking the disk", and the BSoD and restart loop begain again.

I don't have access to a Windows XP installation CD so I can't run the repair install option.

This is my work laptop that I'm allowed to take home, and the easiest thing would be to let Information Services at work take care of this, but I'd really like to try fixing this myself. I have a bunch of personal stuff on there that I'd hate to lose, and I also have some stuff on the work computer that shouldn't be there (some pirated content and uTorrent - stuff that I use when I have the computer at home, still not legit I know), and at the very least, I wonder if there's a way for me to remove those files and programs before handing over the laptop to IS at work.

I don't know if this information is useful, but when I press ESC during the HP logo screen to go into start-up options, and then to "System Configuration", I see that UEFI Boot Mode is disabled.

Could I perhaps create a bootable USB drive and boot Windows from there, but I'd somehow need to get Windows XP onto the USB drive and format the USB drive for that purpose. Or perhaps I could boot a repair program from the USB drive? I don't have access to a CD writer.

Any help and advice would be very greatly appreciated!!

Edited by bpym, 05 March 2011 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If we manage to get the system running again I will remove the torrent and all cracks that I see. I hope that this may be a lesson to you, free comes at a price.. Sermon over now to work

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from the following link and save it to your Desktop: mirror1.
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

Download the attached scan.txt to the USB [attachment=48202:scan.txt]

Insert the flash drive and reboot the system

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click the Custom scans and fixes box
  • In the dialogue locate the scan.txt you have on the USB
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

bpym

bpym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks so much for your reply Essexboy. I'm stuck on step 8. I'm in the PeToUSB dialog box, but the program won't recognize my USB drive. Instead of "Select the flash drive you want to format", I get a "No USB Disks found". My computer is recognizing my USB disk with no issues. It shows up as a Removable drive on G:\. I'm using a 2 GB Sandisk, it came preloaded with a U3 system that still popped up as a U3 "CD" even after formatting the USB drive. I thought that had something to do with PeToUSB not recognizing it, so I uninstalled the U3 program from the drive, reformatted it, and refreshed PeToUSB, but it's still not recognizing my flash drive as a destination drive.

Edited by bpym, 05 March 2011 - 05:41 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is it not showing as G drive ? Do you have another drive that is not sandisc

bpym

bpym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was finally able to get PeToUSB to recognize my USB, it turned out to be a compatibility issue since I was running Windows 7 on my working system.

Anyway, I was able to successfully create a bootable flash drive, but getting the infected system to boot from the USB drive is another story.

I inserted the drive, started the computer, pressed ESC for start up menu > F9 Boot device options > selected USB Hard disk > got a black screen with the message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart".

I ignored the message and restarted with the flash drive still in, and I got the BSoD and same error message as before.

I restarted again and pressed F8 and chose "Enable boot logging", and I got the same thing.

I also tried a plain restart and got the "remove disks, press any key to restart" message again.

I went into BIOS options > System Configuration > Boot options and disabled booting from CD, SD card, floppy, and PXE internal NIC, but I can't find a way to disable booting from the notebook hard drive.

I did set USB Hard Drive as #1 in Boot Order.

:D

Edited by bpym, 12 March 2011 - 08:37 PM.

bpym

bpym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay so now I can get to a screen where booting from the USB drive is an option. I enabled the Express Boot Options screen in BIOS settings, and I was presented with an option to boot from the USB drive or the notebook hard drive. I chose the USB drive, but got the "remove disks" screen again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you start the laptop and press F11 let me know if a menu appears and what options are available

bpym

bpym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I get an Express Boot Options menu, and the options are #1: USB Hard Drive and #2: Notebook Hard Drive. Choosing the USB Hard Drive shows the "Remove disks and other media" message.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Looking at that it would appear that it has been disabled by your IT department. So the only recourse now is to give it to them to repair as there is no way that I can get around that

bpym

bpym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rats. thanks so much for trying to help.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry I lost the notifications and couldn't get back earlier :D

bpym

bpym

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no worries!