Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run certain program, various errors

• Please log in to reply

ncvx

ncvx

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
This started recently. For context, the relevant change I've performed recently and can think of, before the problem first happened, was to upgrade some drivers.

The problem: certain programs, such as firefox portable quit immediately after I start them. I can see this in process explorer. Other programs, such as ausdiskdefragportable (installer) and avg's cleaner avg_pct_stf_all_2011_25_15c2 say

Setup was unable to create the directory C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp\......…
Error 5: Access is denied.

or

"C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp\......…"
folder is not accessible

I've rebooted to safe mode and the error persists.

Advertisements

Hadronn

Hadronn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
What are the drivers that you updated?

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I first used Device Doctor Portable, which found the following files:
03CReader
54tq02ww Synaptics Pointing Device.exe
AMD_Chipset_V1202_DisplayV853000_Vista
Modem_Conexant_v.7.80.4.57_Vistax86
motherboard_driver_audio_realtek_azalia
RTL8110SCC_Ethernet_V56997172008_V621010032008
sp34917 HP Multimedia Keyboard.exe
sp44994.exe
WLAN_Atheros(XB63 XB91 HB93)__v8.0.0.238_Win7x86x64

Then used Driver Magician which still said I needed updates and the drivers I downloaded were:
10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc
atheros_wlan_900125_win7
Install_Vista_6110_1031
Vista_Win7_R259

This problem still prevents me from running many installers and programs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a system restore back a day or two before this all started?

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was unable to restore since no points were present. It's like they disappeared somewhere. There were definitely some created because when I updated, it created one. I was also unable to create one manually when I tried. The error said something about lack of space. Even though I have over 500 MB available on C, and many GB on drive that has the temp folder. I don't have the installation dvd to do a Repair Installation with. I'll download a Recovery CD and try to repair installation.

Edited by ncvx, 08 May 2011 - 03:29 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Name brand or custom build?
If name brand what make and model?
If custom build what make and model motherboard?

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Laptop, name brand: Acer Aspire 5050.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Even though I have over 500 MB available on C

Nope not enough to do a restore depending on the size of the restore point.

Now be warned this may or may not give you the option to repair and may simply format and return the system to factory new status.

Acer:
Hard Disk Recovery
should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your system’s BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin the system recovery process. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 24 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, I've been delaying work on this issue because of the risk that it could format the drive. But now I have time and I'm prepared to work on it. I first wanted to try less invasive procedures, so I just loaded from a 120 mb vista recovery cd and saw that system restore and complete pc restore wouldn't help. Next I'm going to follow the procedure you suggested.

I should also mention that my esc key stopped working recently. Probably because of water condensing and dripping down from the ice tray I have to put on the keyboard. I put a strong cooling pad underneath the laptop, but it doesn't help, and the laptop overheats anyway. So sometimes I put the ice tray on top as well. Although I put tissues underneath the ice tray to absorb the moisture, apparently it's not enough to stop some of it from leaking.

By the way, I appreciate that you're so involved in helping me fix this.

ALT+F10 doesn't seem to work. Also, I cannot find the Advanced tab in BIOS. There is however, an option called disk to disk recovery, and it's enabled.

Edited by ncvx, 24 June 2011 - 11:21 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like the kb may be failing because of the water.

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I tried again and obtained only a boot options dialog. I tried plugging in a usb kb and obtained the same result as without it: I was presented with a boot options menu, which is shown on F10, not ALT+F10. Maybe there is another way to access that recovery option.

Edited by ncvx, 25 June 2011 - 05:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was both the original and new kb both USB?

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, the original one is attached to the laptop internally.

Edited by ncvx, 26 June 2011 - 06:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK normally unless USB support is enabled in the bios it won't work on bootup. Being a laptop it should be. That being said you may not have a recovery partition on your hd. How old is the system and did you receive any recovery disks with the laptop?