Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing--Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

EHufford

EHufford

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
It did it while I was trying to post and now I have 4 duplicate posts...sorry about that, I will see if I can delete 3 of them.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Deleted but you need to explain your issue.
System specs would help also like
Laptop or Desktop
Name brand or custom built
If name brand what brand, make and model
If custom built what motherboard brand, make and model
Any software updates just prior to issue starting
Hardware updates or changes?
Any programs newly installed?

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you.: ) I did have a detailed post, which for some reason did not show up. Let me try this again...

I have a 1 year old Dell desktop that has Windows 7. We have had 2 internet providers on it...the first one was through our phone co. and I do not recall noting any problems with it freezing or running slowly. About a month or so ago we switched to our local cable co. Our internet, gaming, etc worked fine for the first few weeks, but now I am having frequent issues with it freezing, mainly while I'm online. Also am having a problem, not as severe, with it loading somewhat slowly. We have high speed cable service. I don't know if it an issue with the our provider or if maybe there have been things unknowingly downloaded or whatever...or how to check for that. We are having to turn off the internet via the task manager and try again. Very frustrating.

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Also sometimes if I am trying to print something, I will get the "cannot communicate with printer" message...for that problem I have to reboot the computer to make it work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Your directions were very clear and easy to follow, but when I try to attatch that file, it will not allow it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

This is where a lot of people get confused.
When you save the file make sure you save it as a txt file format because the default arn file format is not recognized properly by the forum software.

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Got it...thanks.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "rdpclip"
+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "DellSupportCenter"
+ "Desktop Disc Tool"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Advertisements

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Finished all the steps, and it seems to be loading alot faster. I will have to see throughout the day if the freezing problem is resolved. I really appreciate your help...thanks so much! : )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well lets check the disk integrity to make sure there is no problem there.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, I did that..I checked the box that said "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors", and "automatically fix file system errors". I had to restart the computer for it to run. Now is there any way to see the results of it, because when it finished running, my normal login screen and desktop came back up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to [b]Winlogon]/b] and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

EHufford

EHufford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I can get to the Event viewer, but cannot find the Applications link...under event viewer, I have Custom, Windows Logs, Applications and Services Log, and Subscriptions. I tried clicking on Applications and Services, but that did not give me any option for winlogon.