Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't boot, startup repair fails

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the disk specifically for the other disk? In other words is it a name brand system with the OS installation for that system?

Advertisements

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
It's a windows XP service pack 2 cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so is it a OEM or did it come with all the books and manuals in a nice tri fold folder?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
'tis a OEM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then you won't be able to use it since it is already installed on another system.
Also as I stated before there are no XP drivers for your system so nothing will work. Audio, Video, Lan and motherboard chipset will all be non working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I borrowed this from another topic I had where Admin posted this to explain why a OEM version cannot be installed on anther system. I hope this explains it better for you.

OEM licences are sold at a discount to system builders. They are only valid on the system to which they were installed. Windows creates a unique identifier based on the hardware installed in the system. You can't transfer it to another system even if you wanted, it won't activate. A retail license of Windows does allow it to be transferred to another system, but at a price. They cost more. Also, any support for OEM Windows comes from the system builder, not Microsoft.

For example at Newegg.com you can purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for $199. While through a loophole they are allowed to sell an OEM version at $94.99. The retail version can be transferred to another system and comes with support from Microsoft, the OEM does not.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
All right, I managed to find somebody with a windows 7 upgrade cd, and it worked. I'm now able to actually get into the operating system... And now my internet doesn't work. I keep getting "windows could not find a driver for your network adapter" whenever I try to access any internet settings. In my device manager there is no section for network adapters, and in Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center, there is no such thing as Manage network connections.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great news and now we can work on the network driver.
Go HERE and expand the Network area. There are two different drivers and I'm not sure which one is the correct one. Download both and try each.
Let me know which one works. After you are done please do the following.
Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Go HERE and expand the Network area.

Yeah, uhh... about that... Are you sure? There was no network area to expand anywhere on that page. :) I even tried ctrl+F'ing for it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what is going on because I clicked on the link you copied in your last post and the Network one is the 3rd from the bottom. :)

Advertisements

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ahh... Sorry about this! I haven't forgotten or anything, I was just on vacation last week! I could have sworn I posted a message here before I left though. :) Oh well, sorry.

Anyway, I tried installing both of those, and each time I got the error dialog "The Device may not be present or could have been ejected/unplugged from the system. Aborting the install, please insert the card and try the installer again."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm interesting that normally is the error message you get if it was a add on card and not built onboard.
You never posted a pic of your Device Manager so I'm posting the instructions again.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here ya go
Untitled.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK right click on that ethernet controller and then click on update and allow it to try and find the controller driver.
Also when you went after the driver from the site did you save it or try to run it on the system you downloaded it with?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
All right so...
After I click on update, this pops up:
1.png

I click on the top option, which brings me to this:
2.png
Under the "connect to:" dropdown, Broadband Connection is the only option

I click connect, and:
3.png
This little box stays up for a while, but eventually it fails and brings me to:
4.png

Sooo.... after that, I went back to the first screen and chose "Browse my computer for driver software", which brought me to this screen:
5.png

I set it to search in the C drive and enabled subfolder searching, and after a while it found it, and I am now making this post from my own computer. Yaaaay. ...Weird thing is, this was one of the first things I tried in the device manager before even coming here, and it didn't find anything... oh well.