Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't boot, startup repair fails

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So now everything is working great for you?

Advertisements

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yes...

Now if only I knew what caused my computer to die in the first place that'd be great. :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well we know that file is the culprit and honestly it may have been a update that happened with the utility or with Windows itself.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
...So you're saying that a windows update destroyed my ethernet driver and some system files, causing my computer to not be able to start? :)

Edited by ACher91, 15 August 2011 - 05:32 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I'm saying is it could have been a Windows update and\or a update to the actual utility itself that caused the issue. It also could be the utility itself just went bonkers.
It is hard to tell but the one thing for sure is the utility is the root of the issue. The fact it is a driver or the utility I would say it was caused by a update someplace since it worked before.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ugh... all right well. I guess I'll just sorta... hope it doesn't happen again. :/ I guess you can close now.

Thanks, Mr. Shaffer!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't close topics in this forum only because we have no ideal if it really is resolved. I say keep a eye on it and let me know if you have another BSOD or any other issue. From your statement is has been working good for at least 2 to 3 days now so that is a good sign. :)

TristanD47

TristanD47

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So I have had this same problem and would love to try checking my Ethernet driver but how is that possible when my laptop wont let me log in?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: TristanD47

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

TristanD47

TristanD47

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok thank you, I have made a new one

Advertisements

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Oh... heeeeyyy... this thread is still going on? :P I completely forgot this even happened. My computer works fine though (for the most part!).

Just, I had some... unrelated issues recently that caused me to reinstall windows again, move my files back and forth, etc(you know the drill). When I started it up that time, it couldn't find my ethernet device again, and I had to tell it to search the C drive through the device manager again, which then finds it and all is well. So it just seems like that driver is not installed by default.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it keeps disappearing I suspect a faulty install. What is the system as in a branded system like Dell or HP or a custom built?Is the ethernet onboard or a add on card?
If add on what make and model?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
It's Dell and onboard. ...Don't worry about it though! Everything is fine!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you resolve the ethernet issue?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

When I started it up that time, it couldn't find my ethernet device again, and I had to tell it to search the C drive through the device manager again, which then finds it and all is well.