Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound trouble

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you will then have to do all the updates through Microsoft and most likely have to update all the drivers.
It is made to not get rid of any data files at all when done this way.

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Awesome, i went and got a cheap 9.99 sound card today but its more of a pain in the butt then what i had so if i can get this to work that will be awesome

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So i did a repair on windows XP and what a time i had, first it was going through the installation then a window came up asking for my product key i entered it and it said it wasn't valid so i called Microsoft and after about 3 hours and 2 product keys later we finally got it working.

Now my sound seems to be working ok but it is too soon to tell cause on a reboot it seems to work alright but when i plug my headset or microphone in the front jack for some reason its not registering that i plugged them in even though i do have sound in my headset but my mic don't work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but my mic don't work

Usually by default the microphone in volume properties is muted so you might want to check there first.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Sorry let me rephrase that, when i plug my mic into the front jack it doesn't detect it but when i plug it into the back jack it does and it works fine

When i plug my headphones into the front jack it doesn't detect it either but i still have sound coming from both my headphones and speakers at the same time, now on my options for the onboard sound it asks if i want to mute the speakers when headphones are plugged in but they aren't be detected

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it may be the front panel connections are faulty then since both the mic and headphones don't work on the front.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
But they was working prior to the new mobo upgrade.

doing the repair didn't seem to fix the issue either i am still having a delay in sound

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK are you sure you plugged the front panel into the mobo when you installed it?

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Yes. i am getting sound through my headset plugged into the front panel but my software isn't detecting that its plugged in

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange but this isn't the first time I've seen that. My wife's system does that also but yet she can still listen through her headphones.
I'm not sure why it won't detect but it works.
Now before you said you had the option to mute the speakers when headphones are plugged in. Is that option enabled?

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
It was and it still didn't do anything because it wasn't detecting that i had plugged the headphones in, i went into my bios options and changed the front panel to AC97 from HD audio thinking that may make a difference but it didn't and it took the option away, should i download the AC97 drivers ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sure it won't hurt anything.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
If i go in under device manager>sound,video,game controllers and uninstall everything there then reboot would that make a difference ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It might but you might want to try this first.
Download Realtek AC97 driver

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
My on board audio is VIA so will realtek drivers make any difference ??