Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound trouble

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

now if i get the same motherboard everything should work properly right ? It won't know i changed the board is what i mean

It has to be the same exact motherboard make, model and revision number for the OS not to want to be reactivated.
Did you try the driver and the bios to make sure those two were correct?
Are you sure the speakers are powered and turned on?
Is the system volume turned up and not muted?
Are the speakers plugged into the correct connection on the motherboard securely?

Advertisements

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Are you sure the speakers are powered and turned on?
Is the system volume turned up and not muted?
Are the speakers plugged into the correct connection on the motherboard securely?

I'm not sure your fully understanding my issue i have sound thats not the problem if i am to use only my speakers there is sound.

If i plug in my headset there is sound coming from both my headset and speakers simultanously it is not detecting that i plugged in my headset so its not muting the speakers as it should be

When i plug my mic into the front mic jack its not detecting that there is a mic but when i use the back mic jack it works fine

The issue is there is a delay in the sound itself so if you aare watching something rather it be on the web or from the DVD drive the voice and video are out of sync so its like watching a bad 70's chinese movie, and when playing games if i hit something or shoot a gun the sound comes about 2-3 seconds after the initial fact

Did you try the driver and the bios to make sure those two were correct?

I did the driver but not sure how to update the bios

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on the motherboard it may have a in place bios update capability or you will need to download the bios and then run it from a floppy or usb flash drive.
Again I state if the bios update does not directly address the sound then it will do you no good.
If done wrong it could render your system unusable so I would suggest if you are not completely confident you can do this then it is better left to a shop to do.
Since this all started with the sound then I still suspect the audio chip on the motherboard.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
When i go to ASUS website this is what i get when looking under specifications

Audio VIA VT1708S Support 8-Channel High Definition Audio
*Please update BIOS and audio driver to the latest version
*Choose the chassis with HD audio module in front panel to support 8-Channel audio output

- Support Multi-streaming,Single SPDIF Out,Anti-pop Function
- Support S/PDIF out interface

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you supply a link to that page and the bios update it is saying you need to do please.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Here is the link, they don't specify what the latest bios is just to update to the latest

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the newest bios:

File Size
751,33 (KBytes) 2011.02.21 update

It should be the very top one.
I see the Audio issue was taken care with a bios update back in 2009.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So i just download that update and save it to my thumb drive then reboot into bios to update it ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Watch this video HERE

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Just went into system info and checked my bios version and it is 0801 which is the current update on ASUS website so i don't have to update my bios (sigh of relief)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Just went into system info and checked my bios version and it is 0801 which is the current update on ASUS website so i don't have to update my bios (sigh of relief)

Whew is right. In 15 years I have only had to update one bios and boy it is nerve racking. One little hiccup and your system is down. I along with most Techs will tell you as I said before. If it doesn't add some capability directly to your motherboard or directly correct a issue you are having then there is no need for it.
Kind of like the old cliche... If it ain't broke then don't fix it

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I had went out and gotten this Sound card to see if it would make a difference but it seemed that this card was worse then my on-board sound sometimes there was sound sometimes there wasn't, So i am thinking of getting this Sound card because i have used sound blaster in the past and know they are generally good cards.

If getting this card don't fix my issue then it's back to the computer store for another motherboard

Why has such an easy upgrade been such a royal pain in the keester

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IMHO since the issue was loss of sound even with a new card then it is not the motherboard at that point. The onboard sound chip has nothing to do with the loss of sound then.
At that point it is either the new sound card or the speakers.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Just a random thought but if i was to unplug my front audio jack would that make any difference, i know it shouldn't have any thing to do with the problem but after all a simple and stupid thing can play havoc with a computer, i know my front jack is not HD it's AC'97

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Something i saw in the bios was PnP was set to no, Should that be set to yes ?