Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C++ Programming Ebook and Compiling

• Please log in to reply

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am currently learning C++ Programming language. But the book I am using is not fulfilled and I am facing problems with compilers. Can anyone please provide me good books in learning C++. Again, I am using Dev C++ compiler, and I think it doesn't support windows 7. When I run a compiled program, the console opens and vanishes in less than a second. So I have to put the "system("PAUSE")" command to get rid of it. But this should not happen (as I know), can you also provide me a Win7 suppoorted Compiler?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

I am currently learning C++ Programming language. But the book I am using is not fulfilled and I am facing problems with compilers. Can anyone please provide me good books in learning C++. Again, I am using Dev C++ compiler, and I think it doesn't support windows 7. When I run a compiled program, the console opens and vanishes in less than a second. So I have to put the "system("PAUSE")" command to get rid of it. But this should not happen (as I know), can you also provide me a Win7 suppoorted Compiler?

Hey there sadman :unsure:

Here is an awesome free compiler I've been using in place of Dev C++:
http://www.codeblocks.org

It is a multi-platform IDE and compiler, has some really awesome features and it is really easy to use. This will definitely work on Windows 7 as I am currently using it with my Windows 7 OS. Make sure to download it with MinGW if you don't already have it.

And from your issue, it does not sound like your compiler has a problem. If your compiler didn't work it would not compile at all. The console window vanishing is normal as your are making a console program and should be run in console. It might be an IDE setting, I would recommend you trying out Code Blocks anyways. Code Blocks shouldn't vanish when you compile and run your project in your IDE, although it will vanish out side your compiler if not run inside a console already, unless you have your "pause" function.

Your question to the books and tutorials:
Some good links/tutorials

I have some e-books lying around somewhere on my PC (They are free), I will upload them when I get the chance... Please let me know if you need anything else?

Peace Out :)
Spike

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you very much SPIKE. I hope it will help me a lot.
And also I hope that you will help me in learning C++

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Make sure to download it with MinGW if you don't already have it.

Where to download the MinGW? Is this located in the software or I have to download it externally, if then, can you provide me the link?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Thank you very much SPIKE. I hope it will help me a lot.
And also I hope that you will help me in learning C++

Hey again sadman,

Not a problem at all... I will definitly try and help where I can :)

Where to download the MinGW? Is this located in the software or I have to download it externally, if then, can you provide me the link?

It is already included in one of the Code Blocks installs. You have two options when you download Code Blocks, select the one highlighted in yellow:

Posted Image

Download Page
Direct Download

You can find that page with the highlighted option in the downloads section of the main site. Or you can just download the file directly using my link provided above.

Peace Out :unsure:
Spike

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
But Spike. I am now thinking to keep Dev C++. Because it already has the necessary MinGW and GCC components and the size is only 11 MB. But CodeBlock with MINGW size is 74 MB, very big. So why not learn using DEV C++!
The links you provided is not for Ebooks. I want Ebooks, PDF Files, I have downloaded the PDF from cplusplus.com Thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

But Spike. I am now thinking to keep Dev C++. Because it already has the necessary MinGW and GCC components and the size is only 11 MB. But CodeBlock with MINGW size is 74 MB, very big. So why not learn using DEV C++!
The links you provided is not for Ebooks. I want Ebooks, PDF Files, I have downloaded the PDF from cplusplus.com Thanks

That's not a problem at all sadman, if you are more comfortable with Dev C++ then maybe in future you'll check out Code Blocks. It's always nice knowing you have options, so when you get bored of Dev and feel like something different, you have a good substitute... Well if you are going to continue developing in Dev, then you will have to continue using it with the Pause function in order to stop the console window from disappearing.

system("PAUSE");
And sorry been busy, here are some links to actual PDF books (Well equivalents, some are web-pages but in book format):

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist C++ Version
This is the c++ programming book version.

C++ Programming
This is an open content wiki book about C++ programming. It is supposed to be an introductory C++ book that introduces the concepts and features of the C++ language including the STL library.

A Beginners C++
This page contains information concerning a draft version of a book "A Beginners' C++" in pdf and postscript format.

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days
You can read this whole comprehensive C++ book for free. Start with the basics of variables and constants and then learn about pointers, references, inheritance, polymorphism, templates and more.

Thinking in C++
Free downloadable c++ book from Bruce Eckel. Volume 1 and 2 are downloadable in pdf form.

Peace Out Posted Image

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks.....

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
My personal response would be to just download MS VC++ Express.
It's free, it's easy, and it's even quite featureful.

The executables it generates for you will not be cross-platform, but the source code is (well, for the most part. You'd have to go to some trouble - and know what you were doing - in order to write code that won't compile on something like g++).
So if cross-platform code is a concern, all you have to do is put your source files on a USB stick, find a *nix box to plug it into, and compile it there with g++ or something. Problem solved.

In the meantime, when you're actually DEVELOPING your code (aka 99.99% of the time you are working with it), you can use MS VC++ :)

Edited by W-Unit, 21 August 2011 - 11:01 PM.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
spike_hacker_inc
I sent you a personal message (PM) a few weeks ago. But unfortunately, you haven't answered me yet, why? Would you please answer.......

Advertisements

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

My personal response would be to just download MS VC++ Express.
It's free, it's easy, and it's even quite featureful.

The executables it generates for you will not be cross-platform, but the source code is (well, for the most part. You'd have to go to some trouble - and know what you were doing - in order to write code that won't compile on something like g++).
So if cross-platform code is a concern, all you have to do is put your source files on a USB stick, find a *nix box to plug it into, and compile it there with g++ or something. Problem solved.

In the meantime, when you're actually DEVELOPING your code (aka 99.99% of the time you are working with it), you can use MS VC++ :unsure:

But looks like it's not free. I don't want to waste money for compiling. :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Dev C++ hasn't been updated since 2005. While it still works, it is missing more modern features.

Codeblocks is a good IDE.

Personally I use Visual C++ Express from Microsoft which is free

http://www.microsoft...ual-cpp-express

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

spike_hacker_inc
I sent you a personal message (PM) a few weeks ago. But unfortunately, you haven't answered me yet, why? Would you please answer.......

Hey again sadman, sorry I did not reply to your PM. It's hard to keep track of PMs and I would recommend rather posting on the forums as you will receive alot more feedback and help. And other users may be able to benefit from the information provided.

How can I create mouse click effect with C++ language. Suppose, I want to run a .exe setup file. The C++ program will automatically run the file, click 'Next', 'Ok', 'Browse' etc and finish the setup process. I know it's pretty tough, but can you tell me how to do this. It will help me because then the setup process will be faster, again I need this for other reasons.
I saw it in a file IDM (actually torrent). There a programmer did it. When I ran the setup file, my cursor automatically moved to 'Next' and clicked it (I DID NOTHING!), the setup process finished in a blink of an eye. So can you provide the code? though I am just learning C++, yet I will try my best to understand it.

Mmmm, your question is kinda hard to fully understand... If it is what I am thinking, you are trying to move your cursor automatically to the "next" button? In order to have a next button you would require a GUI (Are you using any form of visual C++?) Or do you mean you would like to move it to a button inside another program?

Peace Out Posted Image
Spike

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Mmmm, your question is kinda hard to fully understand... If it is what I am thinking, you are trying to move your cursor automatically to the "next" button? In order to have a next button you would require a GUI (Are you using any form of visual C++?) Or do you mean you would like to move it to a button inside another program?

I just want to move my cursor automatically to the NEXT button and a cursour click. I don't want to create any NEXT button or anything, understand ?

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
You're right Cold Titanium. I will start using it soon, but let me learn the language fully at first.