Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best places to buy a laptop on budget

• Please log in to reply

eagle99

eagle99

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello All,
I was hoping someone could help me.
I need a new laptop (I am thinking an i5) and spending between $500-$600.
I always hear about people getting great deals but when I look I can't find any.
Where are are the best places to look?
I have checked the Hot Tech Deals on geekstogo.com with no luck.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Buying equipment requires a bit of preparation, some things to consider:
  • What are you going to use it for? (CPU needs to be supported by a decent graphics-chipset, especially in laptops because they are "non-replaceable." RAM is important as well)
  • How long are you planning on using it? (life-cycle)
  • How tech-savvy are you? (maintenance and warranties)

Generally:
Trusted local businesses usually offer face-to-face support for a slightly higher price.
Web-shops offer better prices (watch taxes and delivering-costs!) but can be a hassle to get support from. (I'm NOT saying they "are")
Also, it often pays off to buy a laptop from a quality vendor with slightly lower specs than a top-spec "unreliable" laptop, if you want to use it for a couple of years. (because of the quality of other "non-replaceable" parts)

Good luck :)