Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The application or DLL C:\PROGRA~1\google\GOOGLE~1\

• Please log in to reply

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no problem.....I ran it and did a restart the problem went away.....I did see when I did a search that there are Alwil and Avast5 files in other folders.....I deleted them also?

I've tried to get rid of this problem for the past 3 months.....you were the answer, Thanks!!!

I'll be leaving first thing in the morning.....I'll give ya a shout to see what you suggest to clean up this sysem when I return next week.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Have a good trip.
There is not too much to do from what I see in Autoruns, but I am reasonably sure that we can make a few changes to improve the performance.
They will of course be commonly accepted approved procedures.
NOT TWEAK this and that which are generally not worth the risk.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
......just returned and have some time to tweak this system if you do.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, run type msconfig.
When that opens click the startup tab.

You have too many programs running at startup
Send me a screenshot of those that are checked. That is a green tick mark in the box next to the entry.

a screenshot is when you have that window on the desktop, press the print screen key and then go start, programs, accessories, paint and when paint opens click the edit tab and then paste.
The image will appear in paint.
Then click the File tab and Save as.
On the file type paint defaults to Bitmap.
That is too large, select JPEG.
Save the image and on your reply select Use Full Editor.
Then click on Click to attach Files.
You may need to reduce the size of the image to attach.
After you have used msconfig to obtain that information, close the window and we wil return to it later.

The go to Internet Explorer and click the Tools tab. Depending on your version of IE you can either click the Tools on the top menu bar or the Tools on the righ of the lower bar. It does not matter which.
The click Manage Add-ons.
You have too many Browser Helper Objects and Toolbars.
Using the menu on the left hand pane of the manage add-ons.
Disable the various Toolbars and Extensions you do not use.
On Search Providers, uninstall any you do not want. If for instance you mainly use Google, which I like as there are very few adverts on the screen, but you have many others, disable the ones you use, but not regularly and uninstall the ones you hardly ever use.
The disable the Accelerators, all those Blog with Windows LIve, email with Live etc, can to the benefit of the time it takes IE to complete loading be safely disabled. You only benefit from having them if you use them on a daily basis. You can still use all the Windows LIve facilities without having IE load them automatically.
In private filtering does not need your attention.

Then download this and run the program
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
That TFC will report to you the size of the temporary files that it has removed., if you watch the screen.
Please be assured that this program is perfectly safe and is in fact written by one of GeekstoGo senior staff members.

Then go Start, programs accesories, system tools, disk defrag and using the analyse, on C drive, please report what percentage of files are fragmented.
If it is way OVER 10% do not use that defrag, you will be there all day.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The 2 attached files show all checked in Startup.

I cleaned up the IE Add-ons.

I'm sending this now before I run TFC.

I'll let you know what percent the defrag analysis shows.

Attached Thumbnails

• Startup1.JPG
  • Startup2.JPG

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Defrag analysis indicates that it's not necessary to defragment.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your startup list, as I suspected it has MANY unnecessary items.

Below I am ONL:Y listing the ones to UNCHECK.
If an item is not in my list it means you should leave it checked

UNCHECK the following. if there are no notes it is unnecessary and the less items Windows has to load at Startup the faster it will load.
1. Google Toolbar Notifier. - does not effect the Google Toolbar, simply notifies you of anything related to it. NOT NECESSARY to run at startup

2. DSAgnt - offers update features for your Dell - Not required - especially in the case of other than a recent computer. Simply check the Dell site from time to time.

3. msmsgs - Windows Messenger - NOTE uncheck if you do NOT use. If you USE Messenger LEAVE it.

4.mswinext - Related to MSN Toolbar - UNCHECK - frequently uses high amounts of system resources.

5. DMXLauncher - Dell Mutimedia Suite enables various aspects of using the Dell Mutimedia suite - YOUR CHOICE if you do not use the Dell Multimedia suite you can uncheck it.

6. isuspm - UNCHECK automatic search for and perform updates.

7. igfxpers - Additional graphic configuration for Nvidia graphic chip - If you do not play around with configuring the graphics regularly uncheck it. Can still be used, even if not running at startup.

8. sprtcmd - Identifies connection problems with internet connection and autofix. - YOUR CHOICE - if it was me I would not have it running at startup. But if you know it has been used and you are not familiar with fixing problems in that line I would leave it.

9. dsca - A Dell program automatic support and updates - as before uncheck it.

10. qttask - UNCHECK IT - simply allows quick access to Apple Qucktime.

11. defmgr - Search enhancement used by Microsoft

12. AdobeArm - unnecessary at Startup
Related to Adobe Optimize and enable Adobe® Flash® Player 10 and Adobe AIR for ARM Powered® devices, ranging from mobile phones to set-top boxes, mobile Internet devices, televisions, automotive platforms, personal media players and other mobile computing devices. Note: Located in \%Program Files%\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\U

13. realsched - Related to Real One Player - unnecessary at Startup. Unchecking it has no effect on Real One player use.

14. issch - another automatic search for and install updates . NOT REQUIRED at start-up

WHEN YOU HAVE unchecked them, click on Apply and OK
When you restart a System Configuration window will appear. Simply click on the small box DO NOT show this window again.

VERY OCCASIONALLY one of these items you have unchecked will result in another message, depending on what other software you have. If that occurs simply return to msconfig and recheck the item.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 October 2011 - 03:13 PM.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Done....WOW what an improvement!

Can't thank you enough.....I'm keeping this thread and will be referring to it periodically to keep the machine tuned.

thanks
Ron

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting back.
It has, and I mean it most sincerely, been a pleasure to assist you.

You would be amazed how many people ask for help and do not even bother to reply.

Regards
Macboatmaster

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's the least I could do....maybe we'll be talking again someday!

Advertisements

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
Hope ya don't mind me coming straight to you for some additional advice.....it is similar to the tuning advice you gave me a few weeks ago for my Dell desktop but now I'm trying to do the same to my Acer laptop that runs like a slug. This machine is running Vista Home Premium SP2.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. I've gone to control panel, administrative tools, system configuration and attached a list of all the programs in the startup tab.....would appreciate your recommendation on what to uncheck.

2. I cleaned up the IE Add-ons.

3. I've run a search for .tmp files and deleted them.

4. Defrag analysis says I don't need to defrag but I'm doing one anyhow (I'm not real comfortable with Vista....probably one of the reasons why it never made it!)

Any advice is truly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• startup1.jpg
  • startup2.jpg
  • startup3.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The first job is to disable Windows defender you should NEVER run Defender with another anti-virus program.

See this please.
  • Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.
  • Click Tools, and then click Options.
  • Under Administrator options, clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. Posted Image If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2011 - 02:10 PM.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Under Windows Defender/Tools/Options there are 2 sections:

Automatic Scanning and Default Actions....nothing titled Administrator Options.

....I unchecked the Automatic Scanning option.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. The O/S is Vista - please confirm

2. See this
http://windows.micro...ction-on-or-off

3. On the program list right click Windows defender and click run as administrator, then see if you have the option on my first post

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OS is Vista.

I right clicked on Windows Defender and clicked run as administrator....tools.....options......still get the same 2 sections Automatic Scanning and Default Actions....nothing titled Administrator Options.