Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Code 43 error for graphics card

• Please log in to reply

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hey folks,

I've got the folks at CyberPower (where I purchased the computer) telling me they think my problem is hardware related, so maybe I put this in the wrong forum. If so, sorry.

But here's what's happening.

Every morning. Not some, lots, or most, but EVERY morning when I boot up I get the old 800X640 resolution because it's got code 43 errors next to both my video cards (I have two Nvidia GTX 470's running in SLI mode).

Then, every time; again not some, lots or most; but EVERY TIME I hit restart, it comes up normal (1920X1080 resolution and no code 43 errors).

Now the kicker.

Every morning (again not some, lots or most... I stress this because IMO it's important to emphasize it's not inconsistent AT ALL. I get the exact same results every time)... every morning, if, instead of just booting up and going into Windows and getting code 43 errors and hitting restart, I instead hit F12 and manually tell it to boot from hard disk, it comes up perfectly normal no code 43 errors.

To recap: On cold regular startups in the morning, ALWAYS get code 43 error for my video cards. On hitting restart, ALWAYS get normal results with no errors. And, on cold regular startups in the morning if I hit F12 and tell it to boot from hard disk, ALWAYS get normal results.

Does this sound like hardware problems??? It's hard for me to understand how a bad video card wouldn't be bad at least on some of those restarts or on some of those starts I told it to boot from hard drive. Also, I swear I believe (but I'm old and my memory might be wrong on this), but I swear this started after a Windows update occurred. The fact I don't get code 43 errors any time I hit restart or any time I tell it to boot from hard disk makes me believe it's software related somehow. Could this be the case or is it in fact most likely a bad video card??? I do understand how one bad card could give them both Code 43 errors when running in SLI. I do get that.

I'm just wondering if it's maybe a Windows or BIOS or CMOS problem or something. No, I don't know what BIOS or CMOS is, I just know they're part of what makes this large pile of metal do it's thing.

Also, I tried Microsoft's Fix It utility. I've uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers twice, both times going into safe mode to uninstall and completely delete to get rid of them before installing the new ones. In fact, Nvidia recently came out with new drivers for my card (late Oct) and I changed drivers then too.

Sorry for the length. I just don't know how to be brief and get in the details I think may be important. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Don't know if specs are important, but I'll post them from my invoice.

CPU: Intel i7-980X 3.33GHZ 12M EXTREME
MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 3WAY Crossfire & SLI DDR3 USB3.0 SATA3
RAM: 12GB A-DATA Gaming Series DDR3 1600
HD C:A-DATA 128GB S599 GAMING MLC SOLID STATE DISK
HD D:1TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5" Disk
VIDEO1: SUPERCLOCK EVGA NVIDIA GTX470 1.25GB
VIDEO2: SUPERCLOCK EVGA NVIDIA GTX470 1.25GB
CD1:SAMSUNG BLU RAY 12X BLU-RAY COMBO DVDRW SH-B123L Black
CD2:BLACK SONY 24X DVDRW

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Code 43 error means that Windows has stopped the device due to problems.
This is of course the cause of the graphics loading in 800x640 mode.

F8 Advanced boot options
Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

loads that mode using the current video driver.
Safe mode loads the VGA mode using the generic Windows VGA driver.

So we may presume that it is loading VGA mode due to a problem with the driver for the Nvidia GTX470, OR indeed another driver. It does not have to be the graphics card.

Please tell me what Power supply you have. Is the power to the computer connected through an anti-surge bar.?

Please check device manager for any warnings on ANY devices.
Windows button, right click Computer, Properties, Device Manager on left pane, then after checking originally the view tab and show hidden devices.

Have you connected any devices, that were not connected before the problem started?

Have you installed any software - as above please?

Finally please tell me which driver you have for these graphics.
That is in device manager, open the device and on the driver tab - what are the details please.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you very much for your response.

Please tell me what Power supply you have. Is the power to the computer connected through an anti-surge bar.?

XTREMEGEAR 1100 WATT POWER SUPPLY. Yes.

Please check device manager for any warnings on ANY devices.
Windows button, right click Computer, Properties, Device Manager on left pane, then after checking originally the view tab and show hidden devices.

No warnings now, but I'm in good operating order now (meaning I hit F12 and told it to boot from hard disk this morning so it came right up with no problems and in 1920X1080 resolution). Should I turn it off, then turn it back on and let it come up with the code 43 errors and then check all the other devices or is this check while all things are working good??

Have you connected any devices, that were not connected before the problem started?

No, I don't think so. Sorry, but my memory is soooooo bad these days, but I don't remember adding any new devices. One thing I DID do though involved the video cards. But this didn't start RIGHT after that. Know what I mean?? If it had started right after that, I would've known right away that had something to do with it. But it was days later (or weeks, unsure, sorry) before I saw this the first time. Like I said above, I think it happend right after a Windows update. I will detail below EXACTLY what I did regarding the video cards though.

Have you installed any software - as above please?

It's strictly a gaming computer, and I have installed lots of games. I'm having a hard time remembering but I don't THINK I installed any new ones right around the time this started. I could be wrong, so sorry I'm not able to give good details. If that means we can't figure it out well that's my own fault.

Finally please tell me which driver you have for these graphics.
That is in device manager, open the device and on the driver tab - what are the details please.

When you say details I'm assuming you mean the details of the driver tab rather than the long list of files that comes up when I click on Driver Details. If that's not the case, I'll try and copy and paste all of them.

But the Driver tab says:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10/15/2011
Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibiity Publisher

If you need more let me know.

Now, the details of what I DID do that involved the graphics cards. Never had two video cards before, so I get the machine, plug my HDMI wire into one of the cards in back, and start my journey. Thing has crashed DAILY since I got it in Dec 2010. Daily. Sometimes after it would crash it wouldn't come back up. So, I would hit buttons (like the CLEAR CMOS button) just to try and get something. Usually it would come back up. A couple months ago though, no go. Wouldn't come back up after a crash. Now at this point, I must tell you that this was the first computer I EVER had that had no video signal until Windows came up. For all of those months I would start up, and my monitor would go to sleep due to no signal until Windows came up. I thought it strange since all my others had some sort of splash screens come up where you could hit keys and go into BIOS, etc.

So, when it wouldn't come back up a couple months ago, I changed video cards my HDMI wire was plugged into. So it eventually came back up and when it did I suddenly for the first time since I owned it saw a screen pre-Windows. It was a big, colorful GIGABYTE screen, where now I could in fact press buttons to go into BIOS. So it seems I had my HDMI wire plugged into the wrong video card for several months.

Anyway, that's the change I spoke of above. But like I said above, it didn't start right after that. At least I don't think it did. It seems like there was some time between that event and the first event of it coming up with code 43 errors. And my bad memory (so I may be wrong) keeps insisting the event that occurred around that time was a Windows Update. But I don't see how a Windows Update could possibly affect that so I guess my memory is wrong there.

Again, sorry for the length. I know you guys aren't speed readers too and I'm asking so much of your time in reading. So sorry.

EDIT: I should add too that I've tested things once it comes up in normal mode. In other words, I'll boot up in the morning, as soon as the GIGABYTE screen is there, I'll hit F12, I'll tell it to boot from hard drive, and it comes up normally. And I'll test my graphics cards using both FurMark Multi-GPU and the purchased version of 3DMark11 multi GPU benchmark tool. Both cards always appear to be working when I do this. Both heat up during the FurMark tests and my 3DMark11 scores seem so high to me as to indicate both must be working, but I'm not sure of that. And I play Fallout 3 with everything MAXED at 1920X1080 resolution and I mean it's perfect. Occasionally I see some slow downs and wonder if I'm getting the performance I should be getting out of these two GPU's and my CPU, but I'm just not smart enough to know whether I am or not.

EDIT 2: I just ran a couple of 3DMark11 custom tests. It involved 3 tests, two different graphics test and a physics test.

The first test I ran in my normal SLI mode and got the following:

Graphics Test 1: 19.68 FPS
Graphics Test 2: 19.76 FPS
Physics Test: 29.25 FPS and a physics score of 9213

Than I disabled SLI in my Nvidea settings and ran the exact same tests and got the following:

Graphics Test 1: 9.98 FPS
Graphics Test 2: 10.00 FPS
Physics Test: 29.11 FPS and a physics score of 9169.

I believe this shows both are working. In the graphics test, SLI mode showed a clear improvement (which you would expect) while the physics tests were close (which you would also expect, because when the 2nd card is disabled from SLI mode it's dedicated entirely to physics).

I think this shows they both work (once I get the system up normally). Whether it's the performance I should be getting given my specs, I have no idea.

EDIT 3 lol sorry!: I did get one person who I believe knows a great deal about computers suggest I do a reformat of my C drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows. I really don't want to do that, but if that's the consensus then so be it, I'll give it a try. I just know I won't get it right and get everything running right, it scares me badly. Me get all the drivers to all the things this big rig has in it to work right?? Me???? Not likely. I actually hope the video card or power supply is to blame compared to reinstalling Windows. Man that scares me.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 11:33 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us
Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products. Learn More
Graphics Driver

Select option 2

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would rather you wait until the morning and then when it loads VGA mode go to Device Manager and see what is shown then., but please check all devices including hidden devices.

For the time being download this. run the program and then click the analyse tab.
Scroll down for the results if that is the message you receive and then highlight the results, right click copy and on your reply right click paste.
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Re the post by rockmilk. I would rather you do NOT change the driver at the moment.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 November 2011 - 11:43 AM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I don't have to wait until morning. If I turn it off, then turn it back on, it will give me the error unless I hit F12 and tell it to boot from hard drive. I'll do that now.

Yep, I turned it off, turned it on, and back to Code 43 errors. Now when I hit restart, it will come back up normally.

Like I said, everytime it's turned on from off. But hitting RESTART results in normal, AND hitting F12 during it's boot up the first time results in normal.

There are no other warnings/errors, including hidden devices. Wow, didn't know there were that many hidden devices lol.

Only two errors appear under Display Adapters.

Now I will hit restart on that computer, and it will come up perfectly.

Should I run that test you're talking about when it's working normally or when I let it come up with the Code 43 errors?

EDIT: And yep, hit restart, and it comes up in 1920X1080 mode alls good.

Like I said, it's consistant. It gives me that code 43 error every time I turn it on. But if I let it come up and then hit restart, it comes up normal. If I don't let it come up and instead hit F12 and tell it to boot from the hard drive, it also comes up normal. It just comes up with those errors every time I turn it on and let it come on.

Weird. Really, really, weird.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 12:28 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It makes no difference - youi can run it now please.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

It makes no difference - youi can run it now please.

Ok, well I guess it doesn't crash daily. These must just be crashes where the computer totally stops. I was counting program crashes as crashes. It crashes out of FALLOUT 3 daily. Or any other game I play. I ran memtest and discovered I do have a couple of bad memory addresses, so I've got a bad memory stick. I've ordered a new one but it hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, here's the list of what it gave me. And thank you for pointing me to that tool. Not that I know what to do with it lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: OLDFATGUY
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz Intel586, level: 6
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 12883255296 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1952522240

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 11/1/2011 1:57:12 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103111-11653-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8004A67A20, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 11/1/2011 1:57:12 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8004A67A20, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 10/23/2011 7:01:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102311-14539-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800B31A718, 0xFFFFF8800B319F70, 0xFFFFF880012F8527)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 10/22/2011 7:53:57 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102211-21403-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFF8A009D3B218, 0xFFFFF8A009D3BF48, 0x5D3B218)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Mon 9/26/2011 8:46:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092611-12916-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF880033FC358, 0xFFFFF880033FBBB0, 0xFFFFF80003A01007)
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 9/25/2011 11:18:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092511-13712-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x3, 0xFFFFF8A00BBABDC0, 0xFFFFF8A00BBABDC0, 0xFFFFF8A00BBAB5C0)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Wed 8/17/2011 12:42:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081611-11341-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rdbss.sys (rdbss+0x11782)
Bugcheck code: 0x27 (0xBAAD0073, 0xFFFFF8800C61E388, 0xFFFFF8800C61DBF0, 0xFFFFF800039C2327)
Error: RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rdbss.sys
description: Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a problem occurred in the SMB redirector file system.

On Wed 8/10/2011 2:53:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080911-15974-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70700)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x8A82, 0x971F00011D04)

On Fri 8/5/2011 3:18:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080511-15849-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5B68)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800350F6B8, 0xFFFFF8800350EF20, 0xFFFFF800039AE327)

On Thu 7/28/2011 10:15:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072811-17284-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800039F4327, 0xFFFFF880088E8FA0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Tue 7/26/2011 4:32:48 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072611-10795-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x1D070, 0x1D0820003A8E0)

On Wed 7/13/2011 1:36:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071211-11762-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x11284, 0x1128200022D08)

On Wed 6/29/2011 4:15:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062911-12355-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x122F)
Bugcheck code: 0x10E (0x1F, 0xFFFFF8A009C79820, 0x0, 0x7BC779)
Error: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
description: Watchdog Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.

On Fri 6/3/2011 3:23:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060311-11185-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80003B87C6D, 0xFFFFF880057CB0E0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Wed 6/1/2011 12:49:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060111-11169-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFF00000008, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800038B6552, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

Conclusion

28 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well as you will know, and from the dump analysis you were having problems, lomg before those present drivers were installed for the graphics cards. The same errors are occurring more recently at least in respect of most of them, as the earliest dump in dated 1 June and the latest 1 Nov.

Please answer the following

1. Have you overclocked. Please do not be offended by me asking, but I have no way of knowing your level of knowledge.

2. When you cleared CMOS you of course returned CMOS to default settings.
Does this fit in with the date of THESE problems commencing, as against the dates of other porblems revealed on the crash dump.
CMOS is the chip on the motherboard that retains the BIOS settings.
May I presume you have not altered anything there as you say you do not know what it is.

Again please do not be offended by the question

3. Would you please run a chkdsk on C drive. As it is a SSD bad sectors are extremely unlikely so run please a chkdsk /f.
I notice that the drive is only 128Gb in My Computer or Computer, right click the drive please and confirm free space.
You may use either the GUI or a command prompt for the chkdsk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Posted Image
YOUR motherboard I believe - which slots are the two graphics cards in now please.

From your motherboard details
if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 November 2011 - 01:01 PM.

Advertisements

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Well as you will know, and from the dump analysis you were having problems, lomg before those present drivers were installed for the graphics cards. The same errors are occurring more recently at least in respect of most of them, as the earliest dump in dated 1 June and the latest 1 Nov.

Please answer the following

1. Have you overclocked. Please do not be offended by me asking, but I have no way of knowing your level of knowledge.

2. When you cleared CMOS you of course returned CMOS to default settings.
Does this fit in with the date of THESE problems commencing, as against the dates of other porblems revealed on the crash dump.
CMOS is the chip on the motherboard that retains the BIOS settings.
May I presume you have not altered anything there as you say you do not know what it is.

Again please do not be offended by the question

3. Would you please run a chkdsk on C drive. As it is a SSD bad sectors are extremely unlikely so run please a chkdsk /f.
I notice that the drive is only 128Gb in My Computer or Computer, right click the drive please and confirm free space.
You may use either the GUI or a command prompt for the chkdsk.

First of all, you won't offend me by asking anything. If anyone here is going to do any offending, it will likely be me.

Not overclocked. My graphics cards are both overclocked but not my CPU.

As for clearing the CMOS, I've hit that button more than once trying to bring it back up after a complete crash, but no my memory doesn't include doing that right around the time I started getting the Code 43 errors. For some reason my memory keeps insisting the only event that occurred close to when the problem started was a Windows Update, but I dunno. Sorry. If my bad memory means we can't solve this that's perfectly fine, I understand. At the end of the day I can always try that format c drive and re-install Windows. I'd rather not, but I will if I have to.

And no, I have not altered anything in the CMOS (or the BIOS). The only thing I've done is gone into the bootup menu sometimes and tell it to boot directly from hard drive as that way I don't get the Code 43 errors. But I've made NO changes to BIOS or CMOS. At least none intentionally. I hope I haven't hit a button wrong somewhere to do it, but I thought it was pretty particular about asking to save any changes to BIOS or CMOS and I certainly don't remember doing any saving of any changes there.

Yes, it's only a 128GB drive, but I've got a second 1TB HD for data. Free Space on the C drive right now is 39.9GB. Tried to run chkdsk from c: prompt but was told access denied. What the heck?? I can't run a chkdsk on my own computer?? I couldn't find a chkdsk under Windows, could you help me locate it???

BTW, Is there some way I can buy you a beer or something?? You're doing this on a Sunday afternoon!! This feels so wrong, you shouldn't take up any more time for my problem, it's not fair to you. Or to others that may need help. I'll look at the slots in a second and post that and then maybe we should call it quits today, ok??

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 01:10 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
@Macboatmaster

Just out of curiosity why would you not wanna change the driver do you think it is possible that changing the driver would fix the problem?By reading your post im sure you know more than me so just wandering your thoughts on the situation the way i think is if updating or changing the driver would fix the situation then why not give it a go instead of going through what your going through i mean no disrespect or anything just a question.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Go into BIOS on the first post screen, it will tell you to enter setup press ? - very likely F2. However check on the post screen.
Look for the heading on the BIOS Boot priority OR it may on that BIOS be under the advanced options if you have your motherboard manual it will tell you.

Check what is the first and second boot device.
If these do NOT include the SSD drive, make the first boot device the 128Gb
and the second one of the optical drives.

You change the priority by keying enter on the boot device and then selecting from the list.
SAVE the changes and exit which is normally F10.
CHANGING the boot device on F12 is a one time boot only change

2. On the chkdsk at cmd prompt, type cmd in the search box, do not key Enter, wait for cmd to appear above , right click and then click run as administrator.

rockmilk.
In answer to your question - because at this time I do not think it is a driver issue on the graphics cards.

OldFatGuy
We work on the site because to us it is our enjoyment, or at least one of them.
You go whenever you wish.
Please just tell me when you are calling it a day for tonight.
I will do the same for you.
I feel reasonably certain we can solve this for you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 November 2011 - 01:25 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I opened up the case and it's hard to tell because the GPU's are so huge they actually take up quite a bit of space so it's hard to tell where they're actually plugged into, but I THINK I've circled the two places where they are plugged into.

And THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help. Sure wish I could buy you a beer. Or a cup of jo. Or something.

I will put the case back together and fire it up and see if I can run checkdsk and check those other things for you. Give me a couple minutes. LOL, I always take so much caution when opening and closing the thing it takes longer than what it probably should. Be back in a minute.

EDIT: Actually looking at that photo again, it doesn't really look like mine. At least something looks very different. The GIGABYTE thing is even very different. I don't think I circled the right areas because I don't think that's my motherboard. I'll see if I can snap a photo of my motherboard but the lighting my be bad.

Attached Thumbnails

• OOPS50.jpg

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, it's hard for me to get a good shot of it. LOL trying to take a pic with the SNAPSHOT component of my laptop's webcam is clumsy. Holding the laptop in the air and pointing the screen where I think it's at is hard, plus the lighting is bad, plus it's so crowded in there it's hard to see anything for sure, but I don't think mine is the same one as the photo.

Here's mine, FWIW. Can't really tell anything by this though.

Attached Thumbnails

• Snapshot_20111106_4.jpg

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 01:49 PM.