Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Code 43 error for graphics card

• Please log in to reply

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

12GB A-DATA Gaming Series DDR3 1600

If I am not mistaken that is on 3 4GB sticks

I do NOT KNOW how I missed this on your post 8

I ran memtest and discovered I do have a couple of bad memory addresses, so I've got a bad memory stick

but further investigation is pointless until you have resolved the ram issue.
If I am right and it is three 4GB sticks, run with two. AS IT IS six slots - triple channel, you will have to consult the motherboard manual to see which slots must be populated for the computer to boot,.

FURTHER to the whole problem - I know you said you had NOT overclocked - ONLY the GPU, but those GPU`s can only be overclocked by using this
http://www.nvidia.co...tools_6.06.html

If you have that installed I would recommend extreme caution. It appears to me that extensive O/C is available from this Nvidia Control Panel and that if you have by error altered ram timings, voltages etc may easily be the cause of the ram failure.
Do not be offended, I know I have said it before, but I can ONLY provide you with the best advice as I see it and that is
NEVER overclock ANYTHING.
It invariably leads to more problems than EVER any slight advantages it produces.

I didn't overclock the GPU's, they came overclocked from EVGA. I wouldn't know how to overclock them or to unoverclock them if I need to.

But it sounds like you're still thinking it may be a video card problem too. I think I will go ahead and look into replacing them just to be on the safe side. LOL, I don't know if they'll agree to replace them "just on the safe side" but I'll try. LOL

Again, take care of yourself and be well.

OFG

EDIT ADDED: Oh, and again, you won't insult me or anger me or anything by asking or suggesting anything. There's only one of us that knows what they're doing regarding computers, and it isn't me. Ask or suggest anything you like. Including if you want to ask me to go fly a kite!! LOL, that would be ok too! I do understand how frustrating this is; and it says a lot about you with how well you deal with dummies like me in trying to fix stuff from a remote location. Your patience must be off the charts.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 06 November 2011 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would URGE you not to buy replacement cards., albeit I read exchange. I mention just in case exchange is not on offer.

I would recommend you proceed first with the ram.

Now I know it is six 2Gb strips, all you have to do is to run with one 2Gb in each of the three cores.
Run Memtest again.
Then if it still reports an error, change one at a time running memtest each time until you do NOT get an error.
Then you can by that process establish which stick or sticks have the error.
Hopefully you will find that it is the stick of ram and NOT the slot that the stick is in on the motherboard.

This is vital, as you need to establish beyond doubt that it is the ram and not the motherboard.

I cannot agree, albeit you have been so advised that the first task is to do other than correct the ram fault before investigate further the apparent graphics error.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 November 2011 - 04:34 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I wouldn't be buying them, they are still under warranty so I would just be exchanging them. No more cost to me. Not even shipping.

However, I will take your advice and replace the bad memory stick when that gets here and then go from there. In the meantime take care and thank you so much again. If it's okay I'll post back here after the RAM issue is resolved. I'll post here no matter the outcome. If replacing the bad mem stick does fix the code 43 errors, I'll post that here too. I'll post back either way.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above and until you sort out the ram, then PLEASE come back on the thread. I will receive a notification as soon as you post on it, and then we will pursue the graphics issue.

It MAYBE the driver, but changing the driver before we sort out the ram is not really of any advantage.
PLUS which if you are going to go BACK to an earlier driver there is a special procedure with Nvidia drivers.

However the main point is

Do you have a donation account I could contribute too?? I really feel bad about this but I am soooo grateful for your help in trying.

NO to the first and secondly it has been my pleasure to try and help.
As I said I am sure we will sort it.
BUT ram issue first.

Good luck.
Regards
Macboatmaster.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, you're not going to believe this.

As I said, the company I had purchased it from believed it to be a video card problem and had wanted me to figure out which card was bad so I could exchange them. To do that they wanted me to test each one individually. I was supposed to do that over the weekend but forgot, and so I was reminded this morning so I did it.

I took one card out, started up it up with just one card in it, and.... came up normally. No code 43 errors.

So, I moved that same card to the other slot (I just wanted to see if maybe the slot made a difference) and... came up normally. No code 43 errors.

So now I'm thinking they were right and the other card must be bad. So, I put it in and take the original out and turn it on and.... came up normally. No code 43 errors. What the...??

So, to be consistant, I moved THAT card into the other slot and, came up normally. No code 43 errors. Huh??

So, I put them both back in and.................. came up NORMALLY. NO CODE 43 errors. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

So, now I'm thinking it has something to do with SLI, so I go into my Nvidia Panel, checked to see if it was in SLI mode, and it was. But just to be safe I turned it back off and turned it on again annddddd.............. CODE 43 ERRORS ARE BACK!!!!!

This is insane. I restarted it about 5 or 6 times EACH during the testing and EVERY time it came up normally. Then the FIRST time it tries to come up after I accessed the Nvidia panel it comes up CODE 43 ERRORS. Hmmmm. I've changed drivers twice. And both times I thought the problem was fixed only to have it come back. I'm going to go ahead and do a clean install of my Invidia drivers again and see what happens.

No need to respond to this, I still haven't gotten my new RAM yet (should arrive this week, I ordered it last Monday or Tuesday) but thought I'd tell you this story.

Freaking unreal.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 07 November 2011 - 11:16 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I know you said there is no need to reply but try this
Go to the Nividia site and download driver 275.33
Here is the link
http://www.nvidia.co...us&type=GeForce

Save the download.

Now go to Control Panel Programs and features and then Remove programs and uninstall the Nvidia drivers and allied software as per the recommendations here

Previous Driver Files Remain After Overinstalling with
Release 256 or Earlier Drivers
Issue
When installing a Release 256 or earlier driver over a Release 260 or later driver, some of
the previous driver files remain on the hard disk, resulting in potential conflicts.
Workaround
After installing a Release 260 or later driver, you must uninstall the driver first before
installing a Release 256 or earlier driver.
Do not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers
To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows
rollback feature. This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files.
Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and
then install the older driver using setup.exe.

Then NOT allowing Windows to install use the setup on the downloaded driver.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 November 2011 - 12:32 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I uninstalled my driver using Windows Remove Programs, then the Nvidia install program made me restart before it would install the new ones (it always does this so I assume that's normal???), then when Windows comes back up it automatically and immediately recognizes the new device and installs drivers for it. There's no way for me to stop it, there is no Cancel button there or anything.

I don't know if that's what you meant by your last sentence or not, but anyway thought I'd explain that.

Then, after the Nvidia installer WOULD let me continue, it gets about halfway through and I get a message saying Nvidia install failed. Tried it twice with those drivers.

Should I re-download them and try again?

Right now I have no SLI and I'm really worried about that. I re-installed like I said two posts ago with my 285 drivers and it started coming up with no Code 43 errors but I no longer have access to SLI mode. I go into the Nvidia control Panel and SLI is no longer an option anywhere for me to select.

But as far as installing those 275 drivers, I've tried twice and both times it said Nvidia Installer Failed. Should I redownload and try again or am I doing something wrong with respect to your last sentence about NOT letting Windows install drivers???

EDIT ADDED: Ok, I got my 285 drivers back, it's recognizing and running in SLI mode again. But of course now the Code 43 errors are back. But again, all I do is hit restart and it comes up normal. This is better than no SLI mode and coming up with no code 43 errors. I'm thinking of buying a new SLI bridge and trying that to see if that's the case.

And I just got notified that I have a package at the post office so I'm guessing that's my memory.

I'll let this go for today though since I'm a little tired of messing with it and scared I might lose my SLI again. Plus I took up so much of your Sunday with this I do still feel guilty. I'll get back to you when I've isolated and changed the bad RAM stick.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

If at that point you want me to redownload those 275 drivers OR correct what I was doing wrong with them if I did something wrong then I'll do that then too, Ok??? For today I'm gonna not mess it with anymore. I'm old and disabled and my games are all of my entertainment these days and I needs my SLI!!!! LOL. I'll start messing with it again when I get the RAM issue resolved. Right now I know all I have to do is hit restart or go into BIOS and tell it to boot from hard drive and I get a normal desktop with SLI engaged. That's good enough for awhile I guess. LOL You take care and thanks again.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 07 November 2011 - 01:56 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Okay, quite understand the situation.

Rather than try and explain the situation in full, with the need to install the driver using the nvidia install rather than allowing Windows to find the drivers itself after detetcing new hardware, here is the link to the instructions from Nvidia
http://uk.download.n...lease-Notes.pdf

These release notes are for the latest drivers for those cards on Windows 7 64 bit which is 285.62 released 24 Oct 2011, on this link here.
http://www.nvidia.co...-driver-uk.html

The reason for your present error MAYBE that if you have Norton anti-virus installed still, which came as part of that motherboard bundle, then Norton has a reputation for preventing the easy install of drivers. However many other anti-virus programs do as well and when downloading and installing you are always best disabling your anti-virus.

Here form the Nvidia is the recommended way of installing a driver.
http://nvidia.custhe...vSGxCbVp4SWs%3D

NOTE in the above especially this
If you have experienced install problems in the past, we offer "Perform clean install" which will remove all previous NVIDIA drivers and NVIDIA registry entries from your computer. This may resolve installer issues caused by conflicting older drivers.

and just in case you do still have Norton, but with any AV really read the first and second post on this link
http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=172102

Finally - once again my best wishes.
Hope it is not too long before you can fully enjoy your gaming again.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 November 2011 - 02:24 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I don't know if this is relevant, but I thought I'd share it with you just in case.

As I said before, MEMTEST had indicated a couple of bad memory addresses so I believed I had a bad RAM stick. So, I had ordered another.

Now because I'm a computer moron I can't get the bootable version of MEMTEST to run for me. I went through about 5 or 6 CD's burning that memtest86+ iso, and yet EVERY TIME I would put it in either optical drive, it would be ignored and Windows would come up. I even went into BIOS and TOLD it to boot from CD drive, but no go. Now I don't think this is a problem with anything other than ME. I'm doing something wrong regarding making that disk.

So, the only MEMTEST I can run is the one that runs inside Windows. Obviously not as good because a) it can't test all memory since a good bit of it will be in use by Windows, and b) by having to boot all the way up into Windows it limits my options so that I can't test one stick at a time. I have to have multiples of 2 sticks in there.

So, my theory was I would approach it backwards. Instead of testing it one at a time, I would test all 6, and I get a couple of errors, then I would remove two at a time, and try different combinations of 4 sticks until I found one that showed NO ERRORS. Follow??? I figured that would show I had removed the bad stick(s).

Now here's where it gets interesting. The memory came yesterday, so today I started testing. I tested with all 6 sticks and got 2 errors and it was about 85% through and I stopped it. That's about what I get each time, so I'm thinking I've got a bad stick. So, I go in and remove my first 2 sticks to try my first combination of 4.

I turn it on, and this time I let it come up in 800X640 resolution with those code 43 errors. I figured it didn't matter anyway since I wouldn't be running any programs (other than memtest) AND I figured since the Nvidia drivers weren't loaded that would actually free up more memory for the MEMTEST inside Windows to test.

I go to start MEMTEST and I get nothing but errors. Every address is showing an error. Huh??? So now I'm worried about maybe I did something wrong and have now ruined my machine. I put all 6 sticks back in there, and again let it come up with the code 43 errors because I didn't care about the screen resolution to run MEMTEST.

And AGAIN every address is showing errors. It's just reporting error after error after error after error. OH NO, my machine is ruined. So I then think to myself, when I tested it before inside Windows it was after a normal boot up, with 1080p resolution and no code 43 errors. Gee, I wonder if that makes a difference.

So, I turn it back on, all 6 sticks still in there, and this time tell it to boot from hard drive so it comes up with no code 43 errors normally. And I go to run memtest, and now it's running fine again. No errors yet and it's 50% through as I'm typing this. If history is any indication it will find one or two bad addresses per 100% pass because that what it was finding before.

So, why the heck is MEMTEST showing billions of errors when I try to run it after it boots with the code 43 errors and it's working properly when it boots normally with no code 43 errors??? What the heck is going on??? Does THAT make sense???

Anyway, I thought I'd add that to the information just in case that helps diagnose what the heck is going on. This thing has got me pulling my hair out.

Oh, and NO I'm not running Norton AV software. In fact, I'm not running ANY AV software on that rig. As I said before, that is strictly my gaming rig and AV programs are notorious for messing with games. I don't keep that rig connected to the internet and only plug in a wireless adapter whenever I need to download a patch for a game or once a week or so just in case there are any Windows updates. (As I said at the beginning of this marathon thread, my memory keeps insisting THAT'S the event that occurred around the time this problem started. A windows update.)

Anyway, again, no need to respond since I still haven't isolated and corrected my RAM issue. Doing it this way will take quite some time because I've got to get lucky and remove the bad one and then double and triple check with various combinations just to be sure I do isolate the right stick. I'll post back when I do have the RAM issue resolved. Just thought I would add this as something else to put in the pot and stir around and think about.

Thanks again so, so, so much for your help and your patience. Once again I apologize for being so long winded, I just don't know how to be brief it seems. My bad.

Take care and I will be back when I've isolated and changed my bad RAM stick.

EDIT ADDED: YAY!!! I finally got it boot from CD and go directly into the MEMTEST86+. That's the good news. So I tested them two sticks at a time (it wouldn't let me test 1 stick at a time because my motherboard just let out continuous bleeps when I tried that) and the first two were fine. The second two were fine. And the third two were fine. HUH???

I put them all 6 back in and it's now gone 2 passes and they all look fine. ZERO ERRORS. What the heck??? So memtest inside Windows consistantly gives me 1, 2, or 3 errors every pass when I run that memtest, but the one that's bootable (memtest86+) shows none??? I'm going to let it go overnight and see what happens.

This is getting weirder and weirder...

Edited by OldFatGuy, 09 November 2011 - 12:25 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

EDIT ADDED: YAY!!! I finally got it boot from CD and go directly into the MEMTEST86+. That's the good news. So I tested them two sticks at a time (it wouldn't let me test 1 stick at a time because my motherboard just let out continuous bleeps when I tried that) and the first two were fine. The second two were fine. And the third two were fine. HUH???

I put them all 6 back in and it's now gone 2 passes and they all look fine. ZERO ERRORS. What the heck??? So memtest inside Windows consistantly gives me 1, 2, or 3 errors every pass when I run that memtest, but the one that's bootable (memtest86+) shows none??? I'm going to let it go overnight and see what happens.

You did well there, sorting out why it would not run, was it by any chance you missed - press any key to boot from CD on the first screen.

When Memtest is running in Windows the test results can be effected by the Windows installation.
Memtest does NOT test the memory on the Graphics card

As I see the situation now, it is either:
1. A transient defect on the motherboard, possibly on the ram slot.
2. A power issue, again it may be the motherboard and when the extra demand there for Windows to run, the memory error occurs

This possibility may be evidenced by your post 35.

I would run Memtest again, but using the procedure outlined here.

The goal is to test all the RAM sticks and all the motherboard slots.

Check your motherboard manual to ensure the RAM sticks are in the recommended motherboard slots. Some motherboards have very specific slots required for the number of RAM sticks installed.

If you get errors, stop the test and continue with the next step.

1. Remove all but one stick of RAM from your computer (this will be RAM stick #1), and run Memtest86 again, for 7 passes. OR whatever is the MINIMUM configuration for your motherboard

Be sure to note the RAM stick, use a piece of tape with a number, and note the motherboard slot.

If this stick passes the test then go to step #3.

2. If RAM stick #1 has errors, repeat the test with RAM stick #2 in the same motherboard slot.

If RAM stick #2 passes, this indicates that RAM stick #1 may be bad. If you want to be absolutely sure, re-test RAM stick #1 in another known good slot.

If RAM stick #2 has errors, this indicates another possible bad RAM stick, a possible motherboard slot failure or inadequate settings.

3. Test the next stick of RAM (stick #2) in the next motherboard slot.

If this RAM stick has errors repeat step #2 using a known good stick if possible, or another stick.

If this RAM stick has no errors and both sticks failed in slot#1, test RAM stick #1 in this slot.

4. If you find a stick that passes the test, test it in all the other motherboard slots.

If Part 2 testing shows errors, and all tests in Part 3 show errors, you will need to test the RAM sticks in another computer and/or test other RAM in your computer to identify the problem.

In this way, you can identify whether it is a bad stick of RAM, a bad motherboard, or incompatibility between the sticks.

If that is no good I would then run with ONE graphics card - on the monitor and see how that is.
If that is alright I would try the other graphics card in the SAME PCI slot as the first one was.

I would then try the cards - one at a time in the other slot.

If all memtests are OK, then the procedure will eliminate a problem with PCI slot OR one of the cards or tend to confirm that problem. I think.

ARE YOU certain that at all times the ram was securely inserted and the clips in place.

It is beginning to look as though this is more likely NOT to be a driver issue, although I would still after all the above, if there are no conclusive results, try the new driver in my post 38.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 November 2011 - 07:09 AM.

Advertisements

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Heh, my problem with getting to boot from floppy was even though I tried 5 or 6 different CD's (I burned and reburned and burned from both of my optical drives and still no go) was because I didn't burn them AS AN IMAGE. I just burned it like I would burn any other set of files on my computer, and it didn't work. Then I read on a site somewhere yesterday where when you burn ISO files, you have to burn them AS AN IMAGE.

Well, I did that, and on the first try, sure enough, it booted from CD drive and went into Memtest86+. So as usual, the error was ME.

So, anyway, I tested ALL NIGHT. I tested two sticks, four sticks six sticks. I did multiple passes. I went to bed with all 6 sticks in let it run continuously all night, then I had to leave this morning and just let it keep running and..... ZERO ERRORS. This memtest has YET to find a SINGLE error. HUH????

So, anyway, I just got back, saw it went through like 9 passes with all 6 sticks in, and just now stopped it.

I booted up into Windows (using the boot from hard drive command so that it came up normally with no errors) and I've got the memtest INSIDE Windows running again. I want to see if that still gives me 1 or 2 errors per pass. Maybe my taking out the sticks and putting them back in did something??? I dunno, but I'll post back as soon as the memetest inside Windows is complete. It was pretty consistant in that it gave me 1, 2 or 3 errors every 100% pass. But this time if it doesn't give me any errors I'll wait until it passes TWICE. If it goes TWICE inside Windows then maybe I didn't have a bad stick and maybe one just wasn't in right???? I dunno, I can sure hope.

Thanks again for all your help.

As I type this the memtest inside Windows is 20% done, no errors yet....

EDIT: Oh and I posted above how I tried things with a single GPU running. I tried running each GPU in each slot and I must've powered down and back up at least 5 or 6 times each time and never once did I get the code 43 errors. Not once. GPU#1 in slot 1, all startups good. GPU#1 in slot#3, all startups good. GPU#2 in slot 1, all startups good. GPU#2 in slot #3, all startups good. Now I didn't let it run ALL day with one GPU, something CyberPower is now recommending. They want me to run all day long with one GPU to make sure it keeps running correctly without giving the Code 43 errors. I haven't done that yet. In case you're wondering, the GPU's are so wide that they cannot fit into adjacent slots, thus I have to use PCI slots 1 and 3 and 2 is forever covered up and unavailable.

But as I said above when I posted about testing one GPU at a time that I was wondering if it was the SLI bridge because it was not having issues one at a time but then as soon as I put them both back in and went into Nvidia to make sure they were running SLI mode, boom, back to booting with the code 43 errors. Unless I hit restart, then it starts with no code 43 errors. Or if I go into BIOS and tell it to boot from hard drive, it starts with no code 43 errors. To be safe, I ordered a new SLI bridge. I hasn't arrived yet.

Man this is weird....

Sorry about this. And really sorry about you taking up so much time on this. I'm really afraid we're going to get to the bottom of this and discover just like my failure to boot into memtest, this is all somehow because I'm an idiot. I'm going to really feal guilty then. LOL, I'm almost hoping it is something hardware of software so I won't feel quite so bad. LOL

EDIT 2 ADDED: Oh, can I ask about the SLI bridge??? One thing I was wondering, it appears to me like there are 2 or 3 possible tabs that the SLI bridge will fit on. Does it matter which one?? It came with the bridge attached to the tabs nearest the back of the card. I was just wondering if maybe I changed which tab I hooked the bridge onto if that might make a difference??? I'm afraid to just move it and try it without asking someone first...

UPDATE:Just finished it's first pass in Windows. No errors. I can't recall ever running through a single pass with this memtest without getting an error. I think this was the first time. Still, I'm gonna let it go through twice but I've gotta say, I really don't remember a single instance of it getting through once before without errors. I don't get it. I didn't change any of the sticks. I took them and put them back in, and maybe I put them in difference slots than they were in before but that's it. No new sticks. Yet now I'm not getting any memtest errors.

Gonna let it go through another pass though...

Edited by OldFatGuy, 09 November 2011 - 12:43 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have just reviewed the thread.

That review has raised the following points.

1. Those cards are EVGA - with the Nvidia chip, you should therefore ONLY obtain drivers from the EVGA site. The reason for that is that certain aspects of the EVGA card may not suit the generic driver from Nvidia.

2. Having looked again at that image you sent of the cards in your M/B although it is not very clear I cannot see the SLI bridge on cards. As you know the SLI (Scalable link interface) allows the two cards to share the load when gaming. IF you do not have an SLI capable motherboard, and I have not at the moment got time to check, then you should NOT run in SLI mode. In simple terms the SLI bridge between the two cards effectively -links them across the PCI slots., and the load on the primary card is shared by the secondary card.

3. Here is the link to the subject and the cards from the EVGA site
http://www.evga.com/...A_Manual_EN.pdf

4. EVGA no longer market the EVGA superclocked 470 or indeed any 470.
However the drivers are still available on the site and you will notice that some of those on the Nvidia site are NOT listed on the EVGA site.

5. Here is the driver link
http://www.evga.com/...ad/default.aspx

I now recommend that you either install the SLI bridge and operate in that mode if you wish and the M/B is SLI capable.
OR do NOT commission SLI mode in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Visit the EVGA site and reinstall the drivers from that site using this procedure
Follow these steps if your upgrading from a previous Nvidia based on graphics card:

We strongly recommend that you uninstall the previous video card drivers before installation of any new ones. This is done through the "Add/Remove Programs" menu in the control panel, also known as "Programs and Features" in Vista/Win7. You will need to remove the Nvidia display drivers and physx.

This is usually sufficient before installing your new drivers. If you run into problems or conflicts you may want to go a step further and wipe out any and all old or leftover driver files associated with your graphics card(s). To do this follow the instructions, step by step, below:

Follow these steps if your going from Ati to Nvidia based graphics card or you are experiencing driver conflicts:

1. Download the latest drivers to your desktop (http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/), along with your driver removal program such as driver sweeper.

2. Reboot your computer into safe mode, by pressing F8 on initial boot, select Safe Mode from the menu. Once Safe Mode is loaded remove the drivers using the same procedure outlined above. If it asks you to reboot the computer after removing the drivers say yes and reboot back into Safe Mode.

3. Now run your driver removal program, if prompted be sure to only select graphics drivers (ATI and Nvidia) but DO NOT check chipset, audio, lan, or any other drivers. After the program completes its processes reboot back into safe mode once again.

4. Now install the drivers downloaded from EVGA or Nvidia. Once it finishes installing reboot into windows normally. You now have a fresh and clean installation of the most current driver set.

Direct Link to This FAQ Posted Image http://www.evga.com/...rt/faq/?f=58436

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, I will try the EVGA drivers next.

My motherboard does support SLI, the bridge is connected to the tabs on the card near the back of the computer.

My second run through with MEMTEST inside Windows is still showing no errors. I don't understand it, because I swear to you I was getting MEMTEST errors every time before. It wasn't many, it was just one, two, or three bad addresses each 100% pass. But now after taking them out, moving them around, putting them back in, I'm NOT getting any errors either from the MEMTEST inside Windows or from the bootable MEMTEST86+. No errors. What the heck??? Is it possible that taking them out and putting them back in different slots would fix it?? I'm confused, but now it appears as though I DO NOT have a memory issue.

I am going to let it finish it's second pass (it's at 170% right now) and then I will look into those EVGA drivers as you suggested.

Boy, if that's the problem then sure enough this is all my fault. I knew I had EVGA cards. I specifically requested EVGA cards. But I didn't know about the need to only use their drivers. Man I'm so sorry if that's the case and this long thread was just THAT.

Ugh.

Wish I could buy you a beer or something.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 09 November 2011 - 02:06 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK, 200% through. No errors.

I swear I wasn't making up the fact I was getting MEMTEST errors every time. Now none. I don't get it, but I guess this is good news.

I have to leave again for awhile and will try the EVGA driver suggestion next when I get back.

Heh, and I just turned if off and turned it back on again and let it come up, and this time it comes up no code 43 errors and comes up normal.

I'm going to go bang my head against the wall for awhile now. That won't help anything, but I'm it sure will feel better when I stop.

EDIT: Ok, now I've started it up three times in a row and let it come up.... and no code 43 errors. And it's running in SLI mode. And I entered and used the Nvidia panel. And it's coming up perfectly normal now three times in a row.

I am completely lost now. I'm going to let it cool down from all the usage overnight while I'm gone and then restart it again.

Just curious, is it at least POSSIBLE that this was all a memory issue, and that somehow by taking them and putting them in different slots or something fixed it???

I dunno. I'll post back later on when I power it up and let it come up. I'm lost.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 09 November 2011 - 02:40 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well if that is the case leave the drivers for the time being.

There are as I see it two possibilities

1. A stick of memory was not properly inserted - I know that sounds a little insulting, but you would certainly not be the first, nor indeed will you be the last by a long shot to have disturbed a stick of ram when doing something else. I do not know of clourse if there is even a chance of this, but no doubt you will.

2. There is a fault not on the ram itself but elsewhere and as soon as the system is stressed, it will reappear. - I hope not as this is the most difficult of errors to trace.

My very best wishes.
I am not meaning that is it, please post as soon as you have tested it and we can carry on if necessary

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 November 2011 - 03:31 PM.