Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dozens of scans, disc clean up and defrag up have not improved speed

• Please log in to reply

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Ok, I unchecked everything in startup and rebooted and the speed seemed about the same. I checked startup again and the first 2 items listed(Avast and ctfmon) rechecked themselves. I tried it 6 times and each time I'd go back and check startup and those 2 items were checked again?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is not a bad thing as Avast is your Av and it running isn't hurting anything.
OK lets try another way.

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Interesting stuff. I hide the microsoft services and noticed 5 others left: Avast-anti virus, Avast-firewall, Java quick starter, Lexbce server and Office source engine. With all unchecked it went faster, but I also lost my volume again when Microsoft was hidden. I left the 2 Avast checked because that didn't matter. The Lex I left unchecked because it was for an old Lexmark printer I use to have. The other 2 - Java and Office seemed to slow it down so I left them unchecked. I unhide the Microsoft services restarted and it was slow again. Seems to be something with Microsoft. I did notice another strange thing. I've tried to check "normal startup" 4 times now and it keeps defaulting to 'Selective startup'. Why won't it accept the change? I make sure I click apply before I reboot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Probably because you have the things in msconfig startup unchecked.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
At this point it seems like I'm hunting for a needle in a haystack, so I'm going to let it go. I appreciate your help, it has improved from what it was. Thanks.

Edited by moe jr, 01 December 2011 - 07:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is pretty much what we are doing is looking for the one thing that is causing all this.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi, I hope you're still there. It looks like I've created another problem for myself while I was doing all this searching. Like I said, my computer is faster than it was before but now it's doing something strange that I've never seen before. It flickers, flashes and seems to constantly be trying to 'reset' itself. Whetehr a still web page or a video(the worse) it won't stay still. The ads that appear on the side of most home pages
can't even be read. Some people think it has something to do with an Adobe Flash update, which I've never done. Any ideas? Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and download the appropriate removal tool for your OS.
Remove Adobe Flash completely and then (AND ONLY THEN) install the newest Adobe Flash Player from HERE.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Ok, I unistalled it and reinstalled it twice, same problem. When it was uninstalled I checked and everything, including ads, was fine. After reinstalling same flickering, can't read ads and can't watch videos. When i type in a new address in address bar it momentarily stabilizes but as soon as it goes to the new site the flickering starts again. Help?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I couldn't do it. Tried 6 times, lowered my security level to low, disabled my Avast firewall and still wouldn't upload. Don't know what to do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wouldn't upload what exactly?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
the PC Pitstop Utility. I get the message to allow the add on, which I do, but it wont upload.

I've updated windows, java and adobe flash 4 times and it still does it. And I did a system restore to 2 days ago when it didn't do it and it still does it. The ads are flickering(flashing) continuously and the page flickers when I move the mouse over a hyper link. I've searched all over your site trying to find others who have had this problem and can't find any yet there's a lot of people on the web have had this problem and no ones has come up with a constant solution. Could it be a registry problem?

Edited by moe jr, 02 December 2011 - 10:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doubtful it's a registry error but maybe a minor glitch with the video card.
Another possibility is a hidden infection.
Maybe a messed up OS

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I just ran a full scan with Malware and it came out clean. As far as the video card it seems strange that I'd have no problems for years and then I start running these scans and poof! there it is. Is there any way I can find out if this problem has been address here before?

Any idea why it wouldn't follow my command to allow the pc pitsop add on?

Edited by moe jr, 02 December 2011 - 11:34 PM.