Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot.Tidserv keeps returning after norton says its removed

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I fell asleep in my chair last night about 11 which is 2 AM your time. Had to get up early yesterday in order to catch the ferry.

Advertisements

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
looks like you and me both fell asleep about the same time! so today ive had no issues since i uninstalled that microsoft sql lat evening. ill monitor it for the next few days and hopefully i dont need it and that dbs.txt file wont be generated anymore on my c drive. thanks again for your help ron, its sincerely appreciated.

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
hi ron. so i removed that microsoft sql program late tuesday night as we both thought that was the program creating that dbs.txt file on my c drive randomly every few days. ive had no problems since ive removed that program so removing it was ok and i just checked and its not back on my programs and features list. but today i saw the dbs.txt file again on my c drive. it was created about 4 hours ago. its just an empty file and i know you said if its empty dont worry about it. but im just wondering if you could think of something else that could be creating that file randomly as i would like to stop it from happening if possible. as always, thanks in advance for your kind reply. ps - ive attached a pic of my c drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• c drive pic.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I think it's probably something that InstallShield does when it checks for updates. See

http://www.threatexp...c299e2f05f0877d

This example is for Avanquest but InstallShield is used by many programs so it was probably created when something checked for an update.

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
ok, so i guess ill just leave it if theres no way to stop it or figure out what is exactly causing it since it appears harmless. its just weird because on all my other win7 systems this doesnt happen? thanks again for your reply and your kind help and if you come up with anything on this down the road, let me know. take care and happy holidays to you.