Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps shutting down, screen goes black

• Please log in to reply

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Its an HP Pavillion, probably 6 years old. I think if I hit F10 it will do that. I'll try it. Thanks

Advertisements

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Well nothing seems to be working. If I hit F12, it does nothing, F10 is the system recovery menu, F2 does nothing, F1 opens the start up menus. I selected the boot tab and then I selected Boot Device Priority. I changed the first one from "floppy" to "USB-FDD". That didn't work, the computer still booted up as it always does, the USB drive flashed a few times but nothing. Here are my choices from the boot device priority: Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, Zip100, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, LAN and Disabled. I tried the "USB-ZIP" and that didn't work either. I checked the USB drive and Realtogo is on there so I'm not sure what is going on.
Thanks!

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
OK, I think we'll need to go with the CD version. Sorry for that :rolleyes:

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

File details OTLPENet.exe
Bytes=126,850,486
MB=120.9
MD5=8A7C5BA1C92552ADDCC5E468D0AA069A

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Work it as you work when you're in normal windows mode and tell me if it still shuts down on its own

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok, was finally able to get the CD made yesterday as Wednesday was not a good day. The computer was running great so I did not restart it after I made the CD as I wanted to finish my work and then back up all my data. Got that accomplished, when I turned it on today it had no issues starting up and ran fine until a few minutes ago. This is when I tried to reboot it using the CD. It got to the point on the screen where to Windows XP logo shows and then justs off. This happened several times, so I will try on Monday leaving the computer to rest for the weekend. Will let you know what happens then.
Thank you so much for everything!! Have a great weekend.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello

It got to the point on the screen where to Windows XP logo shows and then justs off.

Sorry, I didn't completely understand this. So you're saying that the computer shuts down on its own even when you're running from the CD?

Thanks

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
What I was saying is the the computer would not even completely boot up. I tried it this morning, and no problems with booting from the CD. I do have all these icons on the desktop that I don't know what to do with :). However I do not see any of my programs nor can I connect to the network. The computer has been on since 8:30 this morning and is still running. Awaiting for your reply as what the next steps are. Thanks

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts

What I was saying is the the computer would not even completely boot up.

It was shutting down while booting? Did any errors appear or it just shut down without any warning?

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yes it was shutting down while booting. No errors appeared just shut down without any warning. This happened twice on Friday. I have had NO problems today though, booted up just fine and has been on all day.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello
OK, I think it's an overheating issue. As I'm not a tech, I'll need to ask the techs about this

Just a question: Did you ever noticed any odd electrical smells?

I'll let you know when I have updates

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
No I don't recall ever any odd electrical smells. Also, is it okay to boot normally since my programs do not show up from the CD boot?
Thanks

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Yes, it was just for a test :)

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello :)

It seems that most probably it's not an overheating issue as I thought but a bad power supply instead. Some techs will come here to diagnose this problem after in a little, however we need to do some final things first:

If you have uninstalled the programs I told you to in the first page, now these security programs are installed on your computer, excluding McAfee real time antivirus:

Microsoft Antimalware
Microsoft Security Essentials
Ad-Aware
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
SpywareBlaster 4.2

I suggest that you uninstall them in order to improve performance and you're pretty much covered with an antivirus and an on demand scanner like MBAM.
The first two need to be uninstalled because Microsoft Security Essentials' files are actually deleted so it's useless. Additionally, you mustn't have more than one real time antivirus program installed.

As for Ad-Aware, Spybot and spywareBlaster they are pretty much covered by an antivirus program and you can also scan from time to time with MBAM, a very good on demand scanner, to ensure that you're clean. Also I don't see why you need 3 anti-spyware /adware programs installed.

Next:

It seems that your computer has low memory (only 510.48 Mb). Another thing you could do is uninstall McAfee suite, which in my opinion there are other antivirus programs which are free and provide the same or even better level of security and use less resources so your computer performance will improve. Alternatively, if you have already paid for Mcafee's license and don't want to waste it, you can wait for it to end and then install one of these:

Antivirus - No need to explain how important is the use of ONE antivirus. It is not recommended to run more than one firewall or anti-virus program. Running more than one of these at a time can cause system crashes, high system usage and/or conflicts with each other

Have in mind that if you uninstall McAfee and install one of these, you need to make sure that windows firewall is set to enabled.

Tell me what you decide on this.

Next:

Upgrading Java:
  • Go here and click Free Java Download
  • It will offer you the latest version of java, download it and install it

Next:

I see you are back on some windows updates, including Internet explorer, which is dangerous. Go here and install any available updates for your computer. Then reboot and go again to make sure that you got them all

Next:

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi
After the holiday yesterday, back at it today. I have removed the antivirus "Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster". Microsoft Antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials I could not find in the Add or Remove Program in the Control panel, so they were not removed.

As far as McAfee..it is not a paid license so I will unintall it and install Avira in its place.

I have upgraded Java.

I am leaving town tomorrow and will not be back until July 10th. I will perform the microsoft updates and the Security Check when I get back from vacation. I'm not sure how th make sure windows firewall is set to enable the different Antivirus.

Thank you so much and talk to you when I get back from vacation.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello :)
This is how to enable windows firewall:

Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
On the General tab, click On (recommended).
Click OK.

I'll be leaving for vacation tomorrow too and I'll return at 14th. If I don't find internet there, I'll post back when I return with instructions on how to remove my tools and some advice to keep clean and then one of the technicians will come to diagnose the power problem your compute has :thumbsup:

See you soon

Blueyz0

Blueyz0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi
Hope you had a good vacation. Here's what I have done....I uninstalled McAfee and installed Avast....Updated Internet Explorer, ran the automatic updates, set windows firewall and ran the Security Ck. Below is the result of that scan.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.42
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Free Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Spy Sweeper Core
Windows Defender
IE SpyAd
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.61.0.1400
JavaFX 2.1.1
Java™ 7 Update 5
Adobe Reader 8 Adobe Reader out of Date!
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe
Windows Defender MsMpEng.exe
AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
AVAST Software Avast avastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 15% Defragment your hard drive soon!
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Awaiting your reply :)