Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSoD - out of ideas

• Please log in to reply

RobertH

RobertH

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello folks. First post here, so go easy on me.
For the last two-three weeks I've been chasing a BSoD issue around, and haven't been able to resolve it. It all seemed to start directly after restarting my computer after a windows update. I have since ran integrity tests on windows, which validated out 100% fine. I've run memory tests which pass clean, and made sure my videocard driver was up to date.
Here's a list of the various BSoD screens I have been getting:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with ATAPORT.SYS
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
BAD_POOL_HEADER
BAD_POOL_CALLER (These ones are nasty and involve me having to restart my computer multiple times to even reach BIOS)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
The memory manager has encountered an unexpected error
TCPIP.SYS with An attempt was made to write to Read Only

One time, when reloading, I got this message before reaching BIOS, where it hung: The file is possibly corrupt. The file Checksum does not match the computed checksum.

-I've ran Norton Antivirus full system scans (it is up to date) and haven't found any rootkits or other nasty things.
-CMD: sfc /scannow came back clean with this message: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

In my ten years of building computers, I have never encountered such an intermittent and wildly random BSoD. Sometimes it happens when I play games, sometimes it happens when I leave my computer alone for a couple minutes. Other times it happens when I'm booting my computer up, and sometimes (rarely) it doesn't happen at all, and I have a good day. I've attached my most recent logged minidumps. I say 'logged' because it hasn't caught all of them, like the two that happened this morning as I was writing this post. I'm beginning to think my HDD might be a problem, or that my MOBO is griefing.
I'd love to know what you all think.

Edited by RobertH, 14 December 2011 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi RobertH,

ataport.sys file is a Microsoft system file (ATAPI Driver Extension). It is either corrupt or "somthing" is corrupting it.

Run chkdsk /r

Note that this utility only checks the windows files for corruption. It will not look at other program's files. If the problem is with a windows file, chkdsk /r will fix it. However, if the problem is from a file from another program, it will not fix the issue. If chkdsk /r finds no problems (usually the case), the issue is with a buggy program. Knowing that the windows files are OK though, is the first place to start.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt:
1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In the Run box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. At the command prompt type chkdsk /r (note the space) and then press ENTER.

Note: Because one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

If chkdsk finds no issues and you have your normal OS back and running, something is corrupting that System file which needs further investigation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Run chkdsk /r

Note that this utility only checks the windows files for corruption. It will not look at other program's files. If the problem is with a windows file, chkdsk /r will fix it. However, if the problem is from a file from another program, it will not fix the issue. If chkdsk /r finds no problems (usually the case), the issue is with a buggy program. Knowing that the windows files are OK though, is the first place to start.

Chkdsk actually checks the physical disk and not the system files. To check system files SFC needs to be run.

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

RobertH

RobertH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have run the SFC and it returned with 100% verification and no integrity violations. I can attempt to run the checkdisc as well, but if the objective was to ensure windows did not have an integrity issue, then that has been accomplished.

Akabilk

Akabilk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Chkdsk actually checks the physical disk and not the system files. To check system files SFC needs to be run.

Thanks for the correction.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run the chkdsk to check the actual disk integrity.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

RobertH

RobertH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
HDD1 cap.JPG
I De-fragmented my HDD before attempting to run the Chkdsk. I watched the scan take place, and didn't ever see any errors pop up. It seemed to complete just fine.

note: image is from CMD - to be sure, I also scheduled the scan and restarted my computer. It ended with the same result.

Edited by RobertH, 14 December 2011 - 10:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would help if you can supply the actual BSOD stop code you are getting.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 15 12 2011
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 15 12 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate [b/memtest86+-4.20.iso[/b] file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

RobertH

RobertH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
That Vew tool seems pretty darn handy. I have attached two documents; one of them simply has all the problems of the last 3 days, and the other simply has the last 10.
I had 'System' and 'Error' flagged in Vew.

I have 4 sticks of ram. 4x4gb

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
atksgt seems to be the main culprit of all this which is a new copyright protection on new games. The description is HERE and it looks like a recently installed game is the culprit of the software in question.
Now the important question is do you use P2P to get games as this may also be caused by a infection hidden in a game.
The other issue maybe a under powered or unstable PSU which I would like you to do the following to check this out.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Advertisements

RobertH

RobertH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I use Steam to download games, and recently, Origin to download Battlefield 3. I would like to note that I have had neither open when I crashed three more times tonight (attached logs), and during several of the other crashes. I haven't downloaded and installed any games since Battlefield 3 came out, and it ran fine for about a month or so when these things started happening. If atksgt.sys is a problem, I'd love to get it fixed ASAP.

I ran that speedfan program and also included the results. Can't say I know I'm reading here though...

I should also note, about my PSU, it's a Seasonic 750W Newegg link to PSU I bought. and I've had it since the end of October.

So, In the past two months I've upgraded three things:
First: PSU (old one randomly turned off, which I attirbuted to its 6 years of dutiful service)
Second & Third at the same time: Videocard (Nvidia 560ti) and RAM (Jumped from 8GB to 16GB)

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW2.txt   2.39KB   137 downloads

Edited by RobertH, 16 December 2011 - 03:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So with the upgrades you did and downloaded and installed the BF3 when did the crashes start in relevance to them all being done?

RobertH

RobertH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I downloaded BF3 on oct 25. My new PSU was installed 3-4 days after that. Around 5-10 days after the new PSU, I started having problems. After a couple weeks of trying to solve the issue, I bought myself new RAM and a new Videocard on november 25th, and even after installing the new hardware, the problems remain.

Timeline:
oct 25: BF3 installed
Oct 28: New PSU installed
Nov 10: Issues start occuring
Nov 28: Installed new RAM and Videocard

I did not re-download BF3, or any other game I had, once I got the new hardware. I'll start doing that now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK what I see from your Speedfan picture is your CMOS battery on the motherboard is showing low. That is the 3.3+ volt reading which should be up at 3.2 or more and yours is showing 1.72.
Some of your temps seem to be high so I'm thinking there also may be a heat issue.
I take it this is a desktop so you should be able to take the side or the complete cover off and check for dust in the fans.
With the timeline you provided the issue could be caused by either the game itself or the PSU.
I suggest starting with the inside of the case first.

RobertH

RobertH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
you are correct in assuming it is a desktop. I have the side of the case removed during normal use, and keep it blown out. The reason I keep the side off is due to the CPU cooling fan that I installed being one that doesn't suck air from the intake slots designed into the side of the case. Instead of sucking air from the side, it sucks air from within (above the graphics card). I've been operating it like this for the better part of two years, although once everything is settled here, I will likely upgrade it to a PSU water cooled system. I regularly blow it out, and I consider it to be in a state of cleanliness right now. I will touch it up though.

I have uninstalled the game and a couple other I have been playing recently. I will re-download and re-install them in hopes of resolving the issue of they are affecting that ATKSGT.sys driver blocking issue. Also, having uninstalled those games, my computer still crashed once this morning with the reason being ATKSGT. So it seems not having those things on the computer isn't enough?

The CMOS voltage may be low, but could that really be a cause for this issue? I will try to better track the heat levels by having Speedfan open during my next heavy usage moments.

I would also like to bring up a little fact. Often when my computer is recovering from a crash, my HDD makes a bunch of spin noise. There are times when it does this for a while and the BIOS doesn't load

Edited by RobertH, 16 December 2011 - 04:20 PM.