Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network and USB issues

• Please log in to reply

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Macboatmaster
Progress at last!We have some success, the Network seems to be running now and I do not have the red X on the network icon in the task bar. I went through the services and plugged away got to a point where things were going well and then the security service became an issue! did a reboot and viola! it is now OK.
BUT we still have the USB issue
The "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" is showing up in "Other Devices"
In the device status it States:
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."
Unfortunately windows cannot find any drivers for this at all

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
ESEA
You have done well.
They are never easy to sort out once you have no idea of how they were.

re USB
Start (Windows Button)
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
System Information
Please post
Motherboard model details

I know you did post this in your post 1 but do you have further information as to the model of motherboard or if the computer is branded the make and full model of the computer

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
No! you are the one that has done well, directing this "Dummy" in the right direction.
OK I am at the office at the moment and should be home and available in around 8hrs. will give more info, if needed.
The computer is a home built, believe it or not by me with the assistance of a colleague (who helped me in choosing the parts) back in October 2007.
I have upgraded several elements, memory, graphics card, fans and power supply, over the years. The original spec was

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (ADA5600CZBOX)
- Samsung DDR2 1 Go 667MHz (SAMDDRII6671GO) upgraded to Mémoire 2Go DDR2 800MHz (DDR22GO800)
- Seagate 500 Go 16 Mo SATA II (ST3500630AS) Upgraded added extra drive
- MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-HD-OC (NX8600GTS256HDOC) upgraded to - MSI GTX 460 1Go GDDR5 OC (N460GTXMD1GD5OC)
- Asus Mother Board M2N (M2N) (I think this is what you need)
And The operating system from Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit
This info is all I have from my on-line perches records and email's, will have to get home to find out more if needed.
Thanks one again.
ESEA

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. The USB issue, is not always quite as simple as it may appear.

2. You need to examine the power requirements IN TOTAL that you are demanding from the USB HUb. For instance an external hard drive - powered ONLY from a USB port requires more power from usb root hub than an external drive with a separate power supply.
If you right click on the usb root hub in device manager and then click properties, then the power tab you will see the total power available per port - very likely 500Ma.
You will also see the devices connected and the power required by those devices and the number of ports available.
If you then click the power management tab you will see the check box - allow the computer to turn this device OFF to save power. ENSURE please that this is NOT checked for EACH hub.

3. Your first task is therefore to work out the demand you are placing on the usb root hub in total with our devices. The manual for the device should tell you the power required.

4. I consider the way forward is this - having equated the power demand you are placing on the hub - disconnect ALL USB devices possible, leaving only the keyboard and mouse if they are USB Using the mouse - as below

Click "Start" button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes) in the "Search" bar and press "Enter".

Click "Continue" if necessary. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

Repeat the step to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Using the keyboard as below
Again, disconnecting all USB devices Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the "Start" menu.

Type "devmgmt.msc" in the Search bar and press "Enter".

Click "Continue" if necessary. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Press "Right" and expand it.

Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

Repeat the step and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

RESTART TWICE PLEASE.

5. If the hubs are NOW no longer shown as Other devices - that aspect has been accomplished.
6. Now please go to Control and using my screenshot please check there in power management that this setup applies.

7. Then you need to connect ONE USB device at a time, checking that each has been recognised and the driver installed correctly.

As you connect EACH - and after verifying that they have successfully installed go back to device manager and re evaluate the power requirement.

MAY I also mention that although USB devices are hot pluggable many particularly flash drives and of course hard drives should NOT be removed until the device has been stoppped usi9ng safely remove hardware. A failure tio do so, frequently results in problems.

Finally it may be advantageous to uninstall any drivers that you have installed for the devices requiring them and then reinstall in case we are looking at a problem caused by a corrupted driver.
I would recommend you do this BEFORE you commence the procedure at 4.

You may find this useful although it is shown as Vista it equally apllies to windows 7
http://windows.micro...ith-USB-devices

Please [post the full model of the motherboard
ASUS M2N etc.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Macboatmaster
Point two:
I am at a loss see image!Divice Manager.jpg As you can see USB hup is not recognised! and therfore I can not do anything you are asking as it is just , plain not there!

As mentioned several days ago, I have un-installed all USB devices, even the ones that were working and now nothing works. Windows will not find any drivers for USB devices.

My mother board specs are found at http://www.asus.com/...#specifications
Asus M2N.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes of course - you are right start at 4 please.
I know you say you have done it before but please try again following the procedure here.
Especially the disconnection of all usb devices possible and then on the unknown devices
right click and select uninstall.
Do that for all shown on unkniown devices and then reboot.
Now reboot again and check the situation in device manager.

IF that works please then go back to my previous post and install one at a time - checking then the power demand on that device.

In the meantime I will look at the situation with that motherboard.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My first look at the mothrboard tells me this. On the I/O plate there are four usb ports

The motherboard has three usb headers enabling the supply of a further 6 usb ports. Do you have these connected and therefore how many usb ports do you have. please

My second examination reveals this
If you do not have the manual here is the link

http://dlcdnet.asus....n/e2753_m2n.pdf

Go to BIOS check the settings are as shown on section 4.4.6
Just in case anything has altered the BIOS settings.
YOUR USB Controllers must be enabled.

Also on the Asus site there are NO downloads for Windows 7 32 or 64 bit.
Even some of the downloads for Vista 64 bit are shown as BETA only.

HAS THIS SYSTEM ever worked 100% with Windows 7 please.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok I have checked the BIOS and everything seems to be OK there.
Other than the back panel of USB sockets I have on the front of the box
When I installed windows 7 Everything seemed to be fine back then. I started noticing that I had some issues more recently when I had plugged in new USB devices anything that had been working worked till I un-installed all USB devices and Hubs last week
Maybe I can buy a PCI USB hub and try that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would not buy anything yet.
I am unsure that it will solve the problem

Normally I would suggest that you download the chipset drivers for the Nvidia N Force 430 but my examination of that situation reveals that there are none available for Windows7 64 bit. or indeed for windows 7.

BEFORE you start please see my last paragraph for one more possible attempt to resolve before you embark on the following

If install driver on the unknown device of the universal serial bus controller - having uninstalled that unknown device first does not work then I can only suggest that you try the following in order.
IT IS VITAL that you ensure you have backups of everything possible before you start and that you establish a restore point.

It may be worthwhile going back into BIOS and disable the USB - save and exit the settings - normally F10.
Reboot check Device manager - see if it will now uninstall and reboot. Then reboot AGAIN - that restart TWICE is important as on my post 19.
Go back to BIOS and reenable USB while there was the controller mode set high speed or full speed. If full speed try High speed. Also try diabling the usb 2. and leave just the usb 1.1. enabled.
See if the alternatives produce any different result.

1. See this and run the troubleshooter
http://windows.micro...ting-in-Windows

2. Although it is shown for Vista - run this one

3. PLEASE NOTE I have no knowledge of the correctness of the solutions found here - or indeed of the safety of implementing them. I PROVIDE it only in an attempt to assist and you MUST understand that the use of it is AT YOUR OWN RISK. (I apologise if that sound a little sharp - but I hope you will understand that I cannot provide the link without such a warning.)
http://www.nforcersh...cks-t70915.html

4. A system restore to a date before all the problems started.

5.. A repair install of Windows 7.
http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html

IN 7 it is not called the repair install as it was in XP - it is called the upgrade option.
BE EXTREMELY careful with this, one wrong click and you will initiate a clean install losing all your programs and data.
ITEM 8 on the link is the MOST IMPORTANT.

I regret I am unable to offer any other suggestion. I do not believe that it is a hardware issue in itself HOWEVER you may if you feel competant remove the connection to the motherboard header for the front usb ports and see if the situation changes with only the rear ports. The information you need is on section 2.2.3 of the manual. The USB 56 and 78 headers are on the lower edge of the board to the left of the SATA connectors and the 9/10 header is immediately above the main power connection from the PSU

Good luck please do let us know how you go on.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

I regret I am unable to offer any other suggestion. I do not believe that it is a hardware issue in itself HOWEVER you may if you feel competant remove the connection to the motherboard header for the front usb ports and see if the situation changes with only the rear ports. The information you need is on section 2.2.3 of the manual. The USB 56 and 78 headers are on the lower edge of the board to the left of the SATA connectors and the 9/10 header is immediately above the main power connection from the PSU

I have done as you have said, plus more:
I have physically disconnected the front USB module from the motherboard. I then rebooted, then un-installed all the "Other devices" including the "Universal Serial Bus controllers". that were in the "Other devices" rebooted, No Change!
I then, still having the physically disconnected front USB module from the motherboard, Rebooted and in the BIOS I then switched the USB completely off, Rebooted, Noticed that in the "Device Manager" that all USB related devices were not there (logic tells me they would not be there due to switching them off in the Bios) But I did see one "Unknown Device" in the "Other devices" list.
I rebooted with switching only the USB 1 on, rebooted, noted only 1 "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and one "Unknown Device"in the "Other devices" list.
Rebooted switching on both versions USB 1 and 2
with the result of two "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and two "Unknown Device"in the "Other devices" list.

I will now look into your other sugestions

Advertisements

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

This goes through the routine of trying to solve the problem ..serching for "Unknown device" / "Universal Serial Bus controllers" with the result of unable to find driver etc...... then giving the following in the
"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Message Details"

Address a problem with Away Mode System
This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between your computer's Away Mode System and your 64-bit version of Windows. The Away Mode System is only compatible with 32-bit versions of Windows.

This problem is not critical, but you can prevent it from occurring again by disabling the Away Mode System in your computer's BIOS. Refer to the instructions that came with your computer that explain how to access the BIOS and turn off Away Mode System support.

I will now try to look into this and get back to you.
But First I also addressed

2. Although it is shown for Vista - run this one

This as mentioned before with the FIXIT thing give the result of
solving problems with USB devices.jpg

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

This goes through the routine of trying to solve the problem ..serching for "Unknown device" / "Universal Serial Bus controllers" with the result of unable to find driver etc...... then giving the following in the
"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Message Details"

Address a problem with Away Mode System
This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between your computer's Away Mode System and your 64-bit version of Windows. The Away Mode System is only compatible with 32-bit versions of Windows.

This problem is not critical, but you can prevent it from occurring again by disabling the Away Mode System in your computer's BIOS. Refer to the instructions that came with your computer that explain how to access the BIOS and turn off Away Mode System support.

I will now try to look into this and get back to you.

Went into the Bios and could not find the "Away Mode System" ??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Noticed that in the "Device Manager" that all USB related devices were not there (logic tells me they would not be there due to switching them off in the Bios) But I did see one "Unknown Device" in the "Other devices" list.

I agree, - my thinking was that it may. having disabled them in BIOS and rebooting, I have cleared the error and then allowed Windows to find the drivers for the USB root hub controllers, when you renabled them in BIOS and rebooted.

WOULD that unknown device that remained - uninstall.

My other line of approach was that if there was a fault of some nature on the front ports then disconnecting them may have allowed us to sort the problem out for four rear ports.

Re the Away Mode system this is a form of hibernation / sleep. However it is NOT exactly either of those. See below.
Windows 7 64 bit does not recognise the 32 bit driver for this system and that is the reason for the error report.
IT DOES NOT effect the system and is I think unconnected with the USB issue.
Here is the explanation.
http://www.sevenforu...-away-mode.html

I have again searched your motherboard manual and I cannot find the setting either. Neither can I find it on the Asus forums, although it is mentioned for other boards. insofar as you simply disable
On my ASUS M3N78 board (and i assume some other ASUS boards) you need to enter the BIOS and disable "AMD LIVE!"

I am still of the opinion that the answer lies in either a repair (upgrade option) of the O/S as per my post 24 para 5 as a last resort, as I would try all other options first

Re the chipset drivers for the Nvidia NForce430 - again on my post 24. Although I must again stress that Nvidia, nor Asus offer them for Windows7 - any version and not even for 64 bit Vista, except a BETA version, on the Asus site.

IT MAY BE WORTHWHILE doing this first to see if we can glean any more information
Go device manager again on the View tab click - Devices by connection
expand the ACPI entry and each sub entry fully to get to the position on my screenshot

Now what is shown there please for the usb entries.

ESEA

ESEA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have disabled "AMD LIVE!" It was off at one stage then I thought it might be a factor so I switched it on but now it id off.
I have done point 3 in your post 24, no worries for the "YOUR OWN RISK" I do understand and I will not give you a bad rap if thing go wrong.
the following is the "Device Manager list!
Divice Manager02.jpg
Nothing like yours but at one stage (before deleting all USB devices)the USB were not in the "Other Devices"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your last screenshot
I THINK you may be at the wrong place
IT MAY BE WORTHWHILE doing this first to see if we can glean any more information
Go device manager again on the View tab click - Devices by connection
expand the ACPI entry and each sub entry fully to get to the position on my screenshot