Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build ($400-$500 budget)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header (unless your MB has a power on button) to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

Advertisements

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header (unless your MB has a power on button) to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

Power pins on the MoBo Header? Talking about the thing I plugged the power on cable from the case into? If so, how do I put a paper clip on a pin? lmao...

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Eh I give up.. I've tried adding each piece at a time,etc.. Nothing works. Switched around memory.. Nothing...

with the little audio thing that came with my MoBo, am I supposed to hear anything when I turn the PC on? Cause all I hear is all
the fans power up.

Might of found the prob.. My MoBo has a square 4 pin slot thing, in the MoBo manual, it says its the 2nd power connection slot. The thing is, my PSU doesn't have this cable... I have done some googling, but I can't find a power supply with this sort of cable...

Tips?

Edit:

Here is what I am talking about:

Posted Image

Edited by C0pyRyte, 14 January 2012 - 11:33 PM.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It's done!!! There was a 8 pin connector on my PSU, 4 of those pins plugged into that 4 pin slot, and the other 4 just sit there :P...

It was confusing, but I GOT IT :D :D.... Installing Windows now :D :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Good news I am pleased to hear you have made progress and are now installing your OS.
For future reference, where your computer case power on switch connects to the MB is called a header, these are often different colours such as blue, red, orange and green for example, this is to help you connect the likes of the power switch, the reset button, HDD activity LED and a system speaker (optional) again these are examples and not all products are the same, see the .jpeg below for an example of a case to MB header;

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I sent you that PM after my last post, I was about to install my OS, but encountered that problem I told you about in the message.

And yea, thanks :D, I decided to read my MoBo manual like 10 times front and back over and over until it finally booted :P.

Once I fix this new problem, I'll be all set and will post pics :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:thumbsup:

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry Man, just feel bad with all of the posts I have made just on this topic, you guys are free to delete whichever ones you want, I dont mind :D.

OK, Yahoo Answers people are stupid then, they told me that it will show up under IDE devices, but yes.. It is Sata.

I am not sure how to change the boot sequence, but I can put my ear up to the HD and hear it running when I boot, so that's a good sign I guess :).

Once again, sorry for all the double posts and crap, you guys can delete whichever ones you feel aren't needed anymore :) (Everyone except this one and the main one :P)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
GTG do not delete posts or topics without good reason and this is not one of them, others will learn from your topic :thumbsup:

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

This will allow for data to be copied from the OS installation disk to the HDD.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Wow huge problem... I was doing what you said to do, when I heard a loud clinking sound in my case.. I quickly turned it off, unplugged from the outlet, opened the case and there was my CPU fan hanging.. I guess the stock thermal paste wasn't very good?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Wow huge problem... I was doing what you said to do, when I heard a loud clinking sound in my case.. I quickly turned it off, unplugged from the outlet, opened the case and there was my CPU fan hanging.. I guess the stock thermal paste wasn't very good?

Not the thermal paste I`m afraid it comes down to the heatsink and CPU fan not being fitted correctly.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well, now I feel stupid.

When its on there, theres a little lever type thing on the fan, I am not sure what its for....

Edit: THANKS :D... Got it securely fastened now, I should of just read the instructions :P

Edited by C0pyRyte, 15 January 2012 - 06:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

And yea, thanks , I decided to read my MoBo manual like 10 times front and back over and over until it finally booted .

Tip: The secret is to read and understand, if you don` understand post a question and we will help.

On a side note can I ask that when you post you refrain from using words such as c**p, this is a family orientated site and such words are inappropriate and offensive to some, please edit the word out of your previous posts, thanks.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
blah sorry :(....

Temps:
CPU > 18c
System Temp > 19c

Ok, NOW I am installing Windows haha :P..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
[quote]...there was my CPU fan hanging.
I guess the stock thermal paste wasn't very good? [/quote]As mentioned above in Post #67[quotename='Digerati']It is not "paste" in the same sense some paste is used to "glue" and stick things together. In other words, it is not an adhesive. It is simply TIM - thermal interface material that sits between the CPU die and the heatsink mating surfaces.[/quote]

I recommend as soon as Windows is installed, make sure Windows Firewall is enabled. Then install the motherboard drivers from your motherboard utilities disk. Then download and install your anti-malware solution - I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Then let Windows Update update Windows. Run Windows Update again until it says no further updates are available.

At this point, I recommend running Windows Disk Cleanup to rid the system of temp files that were created during install. Once done, reboot into Safe Mode and run Windows Disk Defragger.

Now you are ready to install your other programs.