Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 32Bit- Frezing Solid Intermitently

• Please log in to reply

Voland

Voland

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Let me start out be specifying what I mean by Freezing solid.

There is a blue light on the front of the case that flickers when the computer is "thinking". When the freeze occurs the light is off and there is no blinking blue CPU activity on the motherboard they are all solid blue. The mouse does not move and the system can not be shut down without holding down the power button. The best way I can describe it is like the computer is "brain dead" meaning it is not lagging or freezing it is literally frozen.

No blue screen of crash dump is generated from this event.

ALL the Hardware in my computer is BRAND NEW. However even though the intermittent with which this problem occurs suggests a hardware issue I personally suspect something is wrong with the OS.

I am including the results of my file repair, I will include any other diagnostic information requested of me.
The priority is to find the source of the problem with precision so that I can decide IF/HOW I can fix it.

Note: EVERYTHING is NEW in my computer, however the problem mentioned above started BEFORE I changed any hardware.

Edit: I was looking at event viewer attempting to find any information about what happened and the computer froze at 4:53 AM... I know this because when I woke up that's what the system time said in the bottom right hand side.

I am going to look for any and all logs from that time period and hope I find SOMETHING to indicate a cause.

The ONLY thing I can find in event viewer from that time is this thing saying WMI performance adapter stopped.

Edit: Confirmed this can also happen when booting off the windows disk and running a checkdsk.

It stopped at 50% and everything froze solid with same symptoms as listed above. If this occurs when running off of the windows disk then what does that mean? Is this truly a hardware issue? Is my brand new HDD from Hitachi defective?

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   3.2KB   256 downloads

Edited by Voland, 13 January 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Run the Hitachi hard drive diagnostics;

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

http://www.tacktech....tid=287#hitachi

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok I will try that right now...

I ran that fast test
0 Errors

I ran the Extended Test
0 Errors

Dame! What could be causing these global hangs?

I also ran a Memory Test on the default settings and it came back with no errors.

I was really hoping it was the RAM. that would have been an easy fix...

So far this event has yet to happen while I have EVE Online open and running. It also dose not seem to have happened yet when I am mining bit-coins with my CPU..

but If I minimize EVE or dont run the bit coin minner when I go to sleep I will awake in the morning to a forzen computer. Kinda poetic that as long as I do things that cause heat the computer dose not "freeze"...

Edited by Voland, 15 January 2012 - 06:48 PM.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest something crazy...

Maybe the reason the computer wont crash when its running EVE or a bit coin minner is because HEAT expands and COLD contracts.

Last night I put my air conditioner on while my computer was running EVE and I awoke to a frozen computer.

Is it possible that there is a hardware component somewhere that is defective or lose and the heat is keeping it connected?

How would I test for something like this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Couple of suggestions for you to do;

The ONLY thing I can find in event viewer from that time is this thing saying WMI performance adapter stopped.

You do not need this so disable it "how to" below;

Open System Configuration by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking System Configuration.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.
To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Use Windows own memory test tool "how to" below;

Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Choose when to run the tool.

Post back with any results please.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have already run the memory diagnostic tool.
I did 2 passes and I did not get any errors at all. The test completed without any problems.
The image of my disk is uploaded in this post. As you can see it looks healthy I even looked at the smart status and everything is GREEN OK. Speed fan says my performance and fitness is 98%.

I am really frustrated... I even replaced the SATA cables. I have quite literally replaced EVERYTHING in my computer in hopes of resolving this problem. I have been saving up money to buy windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. After I replace the OS I hope this odd problem will go away.

Attached Thumbnails

• disk.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
For more conclusive memory testing you need to do between 5 and 6 passes of memtest http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Your HDD integrity looks ok but are you aware that you should have your OS on a separate partition from other data to prevent corruption.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have tired memtest86 and the menu gave me two options, an older version which worked fine with no issues and a new version which I think was 4.0. Which got to 7% and froze. I guess because the new version uses all the cpu cores at once. But yes I will do 10 passes tonight. I will see what happens.

16 passes

no errors...

Edited by Voland, 22 January 2012 - 10:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
5 or 6 passes of memtest is enough.

Download and install Everest http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
THAT was interesting...

I tried running the program you just gave me after I installed it and it was loading and reached the point were it said something about CPU speed or fan speed or something speed.

Then I blue screened. Attached is the dump file.

I am in safe mod atm.

Edit: Ran it in safe mode and had no problems... uploaded below in report.txt is what you were requesting I think. If its not then I would be happy to do it over with different settings. I did the system summery setting which was the closest to what your instructions indicated.

Edit: Taking a closer look at the blue screen seems to indicate that I should do a FRESH instal of the Nvidia drivers... They get messed up oh so so easily. Thats the only thing I dislike about Nvidia.

Attached Files

Edited by Voland, 22 January 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
First of all what were the memtest results please!
Can you check the Device Manager for yellow ! marks possibly the HDD and Network Adapters.
If you do reinstall any drivers be sure to completely uninstall the previous drivers first using the correct uninstaller tool or you will get stability issues.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I used memtest86 and I did 16 passes, no errors whatsoever.

The only things in device manager that have anything wrong with them are..

PCI simple communications controller
SM Bus Controller

They were like that when I installed the motherboard I could never find the correct drivers for them. Maybe I should try again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ you are allowed to download two drivers a day for free.
The problem with Safe Mode is that it only uses the minimum of resources and is less likely to crash, see what drivers are recommended, good news on the memory testing though.

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Cool as this program is it dose not seem to be detecting the above listed devices missing drivers.

Edit: also not in safe mode anymore.

Edited by Voland, 22 January 2012 - 11:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Follow this procedure to use the process of elimination to identify the problem.

1.Open System Configuration by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking System Configuration.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.Click the General tab, click Selective startup, and then clear the Load system services and the Load startup items check boxes.

3.Select the Load system services check box, click OK, and then click Restart.

4.If the problem occurs after restarting, do one or both (if necessary) of the following tasks:
Identify the system service that is causing the problem

a.Click the Services tab, click Disable all, select the check box for the first service that is listed, and then restart the computer. If the problem does not occur, then you can eliminate the first service as the cause of the problem.

b.With the first service selected, select the second service check box, and then restart the computer.

c.Repeat this process until you reproduce the problem. If you cannot reproduce the problem, then you can eliminate system services as the cause of the problem. Perform the following task:

Identify the startup item that is causing the problem

a.Click the General tab, and then select the Load startup items check box.

b.Click the Startup tab, click Disable all, select the check box for the first startup item that is listed, and then restart the computer. If the problem does not occur, then you can eliminate the first startup item as the cause of the problem.

c.With the first startup item selected, select the second startup item check box, and then restart the computer. Repeat this process until you reproduce the problem.

System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems, but it is not meant as a startup management program. To permanently remove or turn off programs or services that run at startup, see Uninstall or change a program.

Above courtesy of MS.