Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wont run 16 gigs.

• Please log in to reply

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i bought a new build (i know its cheap) but here it is AMD FX 4100, Gigabyte 970A-D3 AMD970 ATX AM3+ DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI RAID SATA3 USB3.0, with 8 gigs of mushkin ddr3 ram. bought the 4x4 gigs but cant get it to run 16 properly without crashing out. runs fine on the 2 dims @ 8gigs. anyone know why this would be? i dont really need 16 but hey.. i want it in there. a buddy of mine tried running them at a lower voltage and it worked but rated about the same as the 8. also he's saying i might run on windows 7 pro. i have home pro. im a noob so any help would be good! thanks!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

i have home pro

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7
The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64
Windows 7 Ultimate 4 GB 192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise 4 Gb 192 GB

Windows 7 Professional 4 GB 192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB

Windows 7 Starter 2 GB N/A

However that is what Windows can see, so if for instance you install 16Gb on a 32 bit system using Win 7 Professional it will only see 4GB actually about 3.5 Gb of the 16Gb. That is the same with all 32 bit O/S apart from Windows 7 starter edition.

NOW to your second point, dual channel ram SHOULD only ever be inserted in matched pairs.
That means that each stick in the channel must be the same exactly in specification.

In view of the fact that the AMD FX4100 is AM3+ that meets the requirments of the board for using DDR3 to 1866 or 2000 for OC.
I am unsure as what your 16Gb of ram IS.

with 8 gigs of mushkin ddr3 ram. bought the 4x4 gigs but cant get it to run 16 properly

Please explain and WHICH of the Mushkin ddr3 IS IT please.
and what is the other 8gb.

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The Mushkin Ram came in a 4pack of 4gigs each. I can only run 2 of them. since i dont know what im talking about.. ill type out what i seen on the dim's label: Mushkin Blackline (4x4GB) 993995. PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 1.5v
so all 4 sticks of ram are identical. also yeah it is windows home professional. i think i read somewhere that the gigabyte board prefers a certain brand of ram but... i dont know.

thanks for the help man!!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

also yeah it is windows home professional

Start (Windows button)
right click Computer (Previously My Computer on XP)
click Properties
on the Window that opens WHAT please does it say - to the left of the Microsoft Insignia
eg. View Basic Information about your Computer
Windows Edition
Windows 7 - WHAT PLEASE exactly as it is shown
Copyright Microsoft Corporation etc
Service Pack 1 - is that listed please.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I suggest you do the following
1. Go here, register and post asking for compatability if known
http://mushkingames....dc5c32563644d0a

2. Try the two sticks in the two slots in two slots - using single channel
With four pieces of paper or card simply write on ONE TWO THREE and FOUR

Put a stick of ram on each.
Then put two sticks in as above. - placing the stick from ONE in the slot nearest the processor.

Does it work OK
Take out one stick and place it back on the piece of card etc to which it belongs
Replace that stick with one from THREE
Does it work

Take out the other stick place it on the card eg TWO
replace that with the stick from FOUR

I am sure you have the gist of it by now.

IF ALL four sticks pass that test repeat the exercise, testing the slots using dual channel.

Do they all pass that - you are now still only inserting TWO sticks.

NOW insert the four sticks and run the voltage at the recommended one for the board - 1.5 volts I think it was.
DOES IT WORK.

NOW set the ram in the COMOS to Auto.
DOES IT WORK.

In summary - the problem is as you so correctly say - either THAT board does not like that ram.
OR you have a NON PERFECT stick. - I will not say DEFECTIVE, as I think you mean in your post that all four ran in your computer at the lower voltage. OR does this mean

a buddy of mine tried running them at a lower voltage and it worked but rated about the same as the 8.

IN HIS computer., in which case ALTHOUGH the chance is EXTREMELY slight compared with the chance of the ram not being fully compatible YOU MAY have a fault on the motherboard in ONE particular ram slot.
YOU can test that using the same procedure I outlined above.

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it says.. Windows 7 Home Premium, copyright 2009, service pack 1

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK Please do the rest of what I asked.
I was NOT making a point I just needed to know what version of Windows you had

i have home pro

as I knew it was NOT home Pro

also yeah it is windows home professional

Please go back there and under the next section System Type please confirm - that it says 64 bit
as per this

http://windows.micro...ut-32-or-64-bit

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
sorry im definately not a comp pro.. i meant premium, i was told to upgrade to 7pro... anyways.. i will try the test you suggest. but on this board #1 slot is farthest from the cpu.

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
and yes it does say 64

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you will have to consult the motherboard manual. When I said the slot nearest the processor, that is USUALLY but not always the slot that MUST be populated for the computer to boot.
I did not actually SAY slot one, I do not think, I said the stick from the piece of card marked ONE.

If you do NOT establish some system of knowing which stick you have tried and which you have not you will soon become mixed up.

DO NOT even think of marking the actual RAM stick in case, just by chance you have to RMA it.

Also as I asked, and maybe I have just not grasped it - did you mean in your buddy`s computer or a buddy in YOUR computer.

Re the ram.
I have just had a look at your motherboard and I will stand corrected but as I read it
from the processor and moving to the right the slots are
slot 1. blue colour
slot 2 white
slot 3 blue
slot 4 white
and slot 4 is the one nearest to the main 24 pin power from the PSU

ALSO am I reading this incorrectly

with 8 gigs of mushkin ddr3 ram. bought the 4x4 gigs

IF IT CAME with 8Gb of mushkin ram - are you saying you have still bought 16Gb in a 4 x 4Gb, and if so what was the 8Gb of muskin., as there is ONLY one listing for muskin ram on the sertified and tested ram for that motherboard on the Gigabyte site.
That does NOT mean that you MUST use ram from the list, but if the 8Gb was in the configuration of 4 x 2Gb, then one might suspect, the ram you have bought is either going to need setting up in the CMOS - rather than on Auto, or it is JUST not going to work on that board.

Finally for this post here is the ram certified and tested with that board
http://download.giga..._ga-970a-d3.pdf

Advertisements

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for helping so much once again.. and as i read on my board... slot one is farthest from the cpu and is white, then blue, white, blue.. it goes 1,3... 2,4 4 being blue and closest to cpu.
and also i bought the ram in the 4 pack, none came with the board.
And yes as it is i only have 2 sticks in.. one in slot 1 and one in slot 2.. that being both white slots. one in each channel.

its all brand new out of box, and was never in his machine.

my friend is decent with computers and has built many for himself and others.. but i can tell he messes up once in a while so i thought id come here. he recommended me order this build, due to price and decent performance values. he put it together for me, i believe he said he also tried to switch the dim's around to see if one was imperfect. He also mentioned something about a possible compatibility problem and tried a patch of some kind for it on the board but did not work.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is this your board please

http://ca.gigabyte.c...spx?pid=3907#ov

I was wrong, I was looking at the wrong motherboard.

YOU are indeed correct in that you have a stick in slot ONE and a stick in slot TWO, hence you have one stick in each channel.

I am not sure to which patch you refer.

If it is NOT from the site of the manufacturer of one of the components I would unpatch it.

I doubt if you will make any real progress until you email Gigabyte support and muskin support to ascertain compatability.

Just as a matter of interest this was the board I was looking at
http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3908#ov

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
this is the board here. exact one. http://ca.gigabyte.c...e.aspx?pid=3908

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We are starting to go round in circles.

PLEASE do not think that I mean in aynway that it is your fault.

Nor indeed do I think it is MINE.

It appears and I am NOT certain that Gigabyte have either posted the wrong image on their site OR you AND I have found the wrong motherboard.

THAT link that you have sent is the SAME link that I sent you at the end of my post 12.

Have a LOOK at YOUR link and select the image of the board, when it enlarges
The slots are CLEARLY numbered from the processor DDR3 -1 to DDR3-4 furthest away from the processor.

NOT that I think that alters anything to do with why it crashes with all four sticks in.

I still recommend that you refer to support on Gignabyte and Mushkin.

jasonmvt

jasonmvt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
lol oops i looked at the first link in your last post... similar looking board but it is the one linked in my post and the bottom of your post. i will contact them too to see if there are compatibility issues. as you said the dims i have are not listed on their compatible ram list.