Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pages Take a Long Time to Load

• Please log in to reply

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi,

This just started a few days ago. Some load well, but others drag on forever. I run MS Essentials, CCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, & SpywareBlaster. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Edited by Athena28, 31 January 2012 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is that pages from the web are sometimes slow
OR does the perceived slowness include opening programs and windows diskcleanup for instance.

I hope you will appreciate that I do not know you level of knowledge, so when did you last cleanup the system by way of disk cleanup, disk defrag, browser history, cookies, temporary files etc.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi,

No problem -- ask away. I'd say I'm above average re: computer knowledge (as a user).

I defragged, disk cleanup -- yesterday. History, cookies, etc., several times a day.

I can open programs. But, for instance, at my bank. It takes forever for the password to be accepted. I see the green bar working along the bottom; working & working & working. Same for just clicking on a story at say NY Times. Can take much longer than it did previously.

Another example: I'm on my homepage. I open my favorites & click on ESPN. Takes a good deal longer to open than before.

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am offline until about 2330hrs Uk time it is now 2030
Send me this please
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pC<span s...pan></span>.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Wow. Very interesting. I looked over the results & saw a couple of things:

It shows gotomypc twice; cookies -- but I certainly will wait for an expert opinion.

Thanks.

Edited by Athena28, 03 February 2012 - 09:50 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I do NOT suggest that this is the cause of the problem but this is very much a process of elimination using established guidelines.
You have Spyware Blaster installed from Javacool,
http://www.javacools...r.html#Overview

Despite what it says on the Javacool site it does NOT always sit well with Microsoft Security Essentials.
If it is the free version of Spyware Blaster please uninstall it.

2. According to Pitstop you have SYSTEM RESTORE turned off. That means you have no restore points
Please check.
Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System restore - what restore point is offfered. IF ANY.
Then go Start, right click Computer on the start list, click properties and on the window that opens on the left pane click system protection - on the window that opens, IS IT turned off please and if it is HAVE YOU or someone else who uses the computer turned it OFF.

3. On 27 Dec, last you or someone installed this
SupportSoft Assisted Service
(15)SupportSoft12/27/11

It has taken QUITE a lot of research but it appears to come from here
http://www.supportso...-Not-Found.aspx

WHICH then is as you can see part of this
http://www.supportso...om/Default.aspx

The Consona Corporation and that according to what is known as the Web of Trust report
http://www.mywot.com...supportsoft.com

tends to suggest if it is the RIGHT connection with your installed software that YOU DO NOT want it on the computer as that Web of Trust link is this as well
http://www.mywot.com...crm.consona.com

SO my question is, DID you know you had installed it. That is not a trick question, if you know you have it installed it is still NOT wanted or desirable, but I need to know if you intentionally installed it please.

4. I know the computer is Toshiba - IS it an HP printer please.
On the 15 December someone installed this
HP Update
(5.003.001.001)

An update program that periodically check for new fixes, patches * upgrades for any HP software and drivers you may have installed on your computer

If all you HAVE from HP is the printer you DO NOT NEED or indeed want a program running that is periodically checking your computer for HP software updates.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Ok, first let me thank you for all the sleuthing you did. To clarify: I am the only user on this laptop. No one else.

1. It is the free version of Spyware Blaster. I have uninstalled it. Any suggestions for a replacement?

2. Re: System Restore. I have a ton of restore points (from January 30th – December 27th) & I have used system restore on this system. Once I think. A few months ago. However, you’re right. It’s off. I’m unsure why. I’ve attached a screen-shot. Which box do you recommend I tick? I'm leaning toward "Restore System Settings and Previous Versions of Files". And do you believe I should increase disk space?

3. Regarding support soft assistance. Since it’s used remotely, I bet I know what it is. I had trouble with my gotomypc.com program and they asked for permission to take over my computer to fix it. They did. That must be the program they installed to do it. I’ve uninstalled it as I followed your links & don’t care for what I see. (I also uninstalled it from my office computer).

4. Yes, I have an HP Printer. Only a printer. Therefore, I will uninstall HP Updates (did this for office computer, too).

Thanks again.

Edited by Athena28, 03 February 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Re system restore from your screenshot, go back one window and select the drive on which you are configuring the restore settings, ie C drive.
Then return to the one you have posted and YES select Restore system setings and files
Then on the lower half for the slider select approx 5%
Under Disk Space Usage you can see how much space is already allocated for system restore and how much is actually being used. Drag the slider to the amount you’re willing to give away (recommended: 5-8% of your hard drive) and hit Apply.

As you have a 500Gb HDD - 5% will be more than ample, in fact I would reduce it to 3%

2. Would you please go Start , All programs, Accessories, System tools, Internet Explorer - No add-ons - would you then test ion that environment and seeif there is any improvement. Depending of course on which web page you are then testing it maybe that you will receive the pop-up bar indicating that the page requires such an add-on. Could you test generally and see if there is a noticeable improvment.

3. If there IS then clearly that is what we need to work on.
If there is NOT then please proceed with this

http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

PLEASE be aware that the right hand corner of the TFC screen contains a small square of flashing graphics.
Also please be aware that any current temporary files will be deleted.
This would not normally be of concern but if you have any current work stored in temp files such as a download, waiting to be installed be aware that it will be deleted.

4. NOT DIRECTLY related to this issue but I think your Java is out of date.
Out of date JAVA, Flash players etc, Adobe are a security risk.
Please check Java especially
Control Panel and the JAVA icon.
You should be on version 6 update 30

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
1. When I highlighted the C drive, the settings changed (I didn't touch them). As you can see System Restore seems to be on and 2% is the max usage. So I guess my System Restore has been on all the time. Seems odd.

2. I'm unsure how to test the Internet Explorer - No add-ons environment. I did the Start , All programs, Accessories, System tools, Internet Explorer - No add-ons. But how do you test the environment? BTW, I do get the "pop-up bar indicating that the page requires such an add-on" all the time.

4. I updated my Java. I did not know it was out-of-date.

One more question, any thoughts about a replacement for Spyware Blaster?

Thank you.

Edited by Athena28, 03 February 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This is important - go start programs, accessories, system tools, system restore - if IT was ON then you will have restore points - which one is offered, then select choose another.
IF THERE are NONE, it was NOT on.

Additionally what is on that drive shown as System in your screenshot.

I was getting round to this next but if you have used CCleaner or some other program, that has deleted all your cookies, kept for your favourites then they will be slower to load, but NOT like watching grass grow this is explained on the button Safety on IE - Delete browsing history.

You should consider updating IE8 to IE9 which is recommended for 64 bit Windows.
Here is the link

http://windows.micro...dwide-languages

If you are happy that is all that matters.

Advertisements

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
1. Yes. I do have restore points, so it must be on.

2. Good question. I have absolutely no idea what that 'System' is unless it's a file regarding 'System Protection'?

System Protection:

System protection is a feature that regularly creates and saves information about your computer's system files and settings. System protection also saves previous versions of files that you've modified. It saves these files in restore points, which are created just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. They're also created automatically once every seven days if no other restore points were created in the previous seven days, but you can create restore points manually at any time.

I will upgrade to IE9.

Everything does seem to be working well, so I believe you solved the issue. I really appreciate it.

I guess I'll look around for a replacement to Spyware Blaster.

Edited by Athena28, 02 February 2012 - 04:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. It is MOST CERTAINLY not System protection - that is System restore.

2. Pitstop when it reported system restore had 0Mb allocated was clearly referring to the drive in your computer referred to as System on your screenshot, NOT the one above C drive (System)
Would you click Start, right click Computer and click Manage. Then please click on Disk management in the left pane. When the data appears in the main window
What please is shown in addition to C Drive and your DVD drive.

When you ran Pitstop - Did you have another drive connected.?

3. SuperAntiSpyware is a good alternative.
http://www.superanti...play.html?faq=6

and here is the actual download link to the free edition
http://www.superanti...m/download.html

It is NOT active real-time protection, so there is NO CHANCE of it conflicting with your MSSE.

Here is some general advice from our site on such matters
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi,

1. I’ve attached a screenshot of what I see when I click Start, right click Computer and click Manage & click on Disk management.
2. I DID not have another drive connected when I ran Pitstop.

Thanks for the link to SuperAntiSpyware. Edit: Wow, found Adware & a Trojan already!

Edited by Athena28, 03 February 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
FIRSTLY
Below is the response to the general issues of this thread.

HOWEVER

][/u] Wow, found Adware & a Trojan already!

NOW OF FAR GREATER IMPORTANCE is the above quote from your last post. You are strongly advised to go to this link. Had SAS found only spyware/adware, it would not be necessary as these are often only the various cookies etc connected with your browsing, such as revealed on your Pitstop results

afy11.net
casalemedia.com

contextweb.com
go.com
insightexpressai.com
interclick.com
newsvine.com
quantserve.com
revsci.net
turn.com
wunderloop.net

IN VIEW of the fact that it reports finding
MALWARE, I advise you to go to the link below
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Follow carefully the advice and if you do create a topic in Malware please include a link to this thread so that the Malware expert may see what has been done here.

ISSUES from the original topic.
1. That System shown on the screenshot in your post 9 is part of your Toshiba recovery, usually activiated when all else has failed and to restore the computer to its original condition. NOTE it may well have softer restore functions and of course you may already know what those are.

HOWEVER it is clearly that, that Pitstop reported as having 0Mb allocated and you DO NOT WANT system restore turned ON for that. In otherwords LEAVE IT OFF FOR THAT
System shown in the screenshot.

There can be NO doubt that this is the case, with the report of 0Mb as of course if, all System Restore was allocated 0Mb YOU WOULD not have had any restore points listed. When you reduce the slider - if the space is then too small for the existing restore points the OLDER ones are deleted. Just as they are by Windows, automatically when no more space within the allocated capacity is available

2. Re Spyware Blaster.
I have read a number of reports that it is NOT recommended with Microsoft Security Essentials.
HOWEVER it is ONLY correct that I tell you, that there are many other reports that it does NOT in anyway conflict with MSSE

Another member of the Tech Staff on GeekstoGo, happyrock has commented that he uses it with MSSE on Windows 7 and has experienced NO problems
spywareblaster only blocks access to known bad web sites

Here is a Microsoft article on Microsoft Security Essentials
http://answers.micro...bc-767e6acb26c4

Here is a link providing opinions BOTH ways
http://answers.micro...b4bb2352?page=1

3 I apologise if you find this confusing, but IT is only right that I pass onto you the opinion of my colleague happyrock and ensure that you have, all the information you need to make a decision.

It is really a matter of choice.
I suggest you try both - what you have now and back to MSSE and SpywareBlaster.

You can of course leave SAS as it offers NO real time protection of ANY form. It is simply a scan and quarantine/remove.

Depending on the nature of your browsing and appreciating that the main object of the topic was NOT this matter but slowness in opening web pages
You may find this useful. I have it on all four computers.

http://www.google.co...PGQ7KWmAAEqBXug

It immediately shows you on a green coloured SAFE. yellow coloured WARNING or red DANGEROUS the reputation of the site you are opening and if it is known to be dangerous - it blocks its opening until you agree.

Regards
Macboatmaster

NB Acknowledgement to happyrock for his advice re SpywareBlaster

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
The Trojan was something I downloaded. I realized what it was right away & got rid of it.

I appreciate your consulting with your colleague and his/her taking the time to give an opinion. I may use Spyware Blaster & Super Anti Spyware unless that's too much & won't work well together.

Thank you.