Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Svchost.exe Memory Leak exceeding 500k

• Please log in to reply

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Maybe I just need a restart but the internet's behaving really glitchy with pages half-loading or taking a bit longer to pull up. I suppose I'm okay with updating to 9 but I'm not that thrilled with the formatting on the page and I'm a bit worried about losing all my favorites, is there a way I can import them?

Also I'm gonna see if a quick reboot helps and get back to you on the computer behavior.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't need to update IE if you are comfortable using 8 and have no problem with it.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alright - unfortunately svchost is still exhibiting the enormous memory leak, it's broken 560,000K since logging back in, went down and right now it's around 370K.

...And as I forgot to do this earlier, once it calms down I'll remove Eset in the control pannel.

Edit 2: Eset's gone but I'm also noticing some bizzare issues with Flash Player now that it's updated, it's creating a strange exception whenever I try to run Flash-based programs. I tried reinstalling it but the installer hangs at "Retreiving Installation" - I'll paste the exception below:

Error #2044: Unhandled AsyncErrorEvent:. text=Error #2095: flash.net.NetConnection was unable to invoke callback onBWDone. error=ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property onBWDone not found on red5recorder and there is no default value.
at red5recorder/init()[C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Flex Builder 3\red5recorder\src\red5recorder.as:56]
at red5recorder/___red5recorder_Application1_applicationComplete()[C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Flex Builder 3\red5recorder\src\red5recorder.mxml:2]
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:9051]
at mx.managers::SystemManager/preloader_preloaderDoneHandler()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:2251]
at mx.preloaders::Preloader/displayClassCompleteHandler()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\preloaders\Preloader.as:434]
at mx.preloaders::DownloadProgressBar/timerHandler()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\preloaders\DownloadProgressBar.as:1451]
at mx.preloaders::DownloadProgressBar/initCompleteHandler()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\preloaders\DownloadProgressBar.as:1503]
at mx.preloaders::Preloader/dispatchAppEndEvent()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\preloaders\Preloader.as:291]
at mx.preloaders::Preloader/appCreationCompleteHandler()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\preloaders\Preloader.as:442]
at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:9051]
at mx.core::UIComponent/set initialized()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:1167]
at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:698]
at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8460]
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8403]

Edit 3: I'm leaving the errors from above up in case it didn't fix the problem but I was just able to successfully get Flash Player 11 to reinstall whereas it was hanging on me last night.

Edited by Itachirumon, 09 April 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It appears netsvcs and LocalSystemNetworkRestricted are the two svchost processes that are taking up the most space, at least that's what it looks like if i'm reading the resource monitor correctly. The speed problem when the svchost data leak hits is getting even more pronounced, to the point that even opening task manager seems to almost crash the whole system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I ran the program twice, didn't find any issues. Unfortunately later in the night a new symptom arose, while I was watching netflix on two seperate occasions the entire screen just glitched out to grey with black horizontal lines resulting in a complete crash. I'm not sure what caused it and I'm a little afraid to touch the computer now, since if it's the mobo I need to quickly back everything on there up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Backup your data first and then we need to try a repair installation.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
That means reimaging the drive right?

Edit: wait, never mind, you mean backup the data just as a safety precaution, I used google-fu, I will need to track down an install-upgrade disc.

Edited by Itachirumon, 12 April 2012 - 08:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me know when the data is secure and then I will post the Repair instructions for you.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Data should be secure within the next 5 hours, I'm transferring it all to a flash drive as we speak - would have been secure 'now' except it decided it wouldn't take the 7.zip file so I'm doing it manually

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem just post you are ready and we will continue. :thumbsup:

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It's backed up, I'm as ready as I'll ever be, I want my baby to be alright again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Vista...guide is here...
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alrighty, I read it over and I'm just a bit confused with regards to the installation CD. I bought my computer back right when Vista came out so I'm fairly sure the CD doesn't have SP1 or SP2 on it, so I need to set up a CD for Slipstream Vista SP2 right? Or is there some other process I need to do that would be easier, like uninstalling Sp1 & 2 and just going forward with the Vista CD since Slipstreaming looks a bit difficult with regards to writing new things on the already-written Windows Vista DVD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try it just the way it is but if there is a problem then you may need to uninstall SP2.
Slip streaming is a little nerve racking for those who have never done anything like that. Try the first option and see what happens. If it won't work it will tell you before it attempts to do anything.