Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMART HDD Virus [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It will take about thirty minutes to run the full sequence and then optimise

Once done could you screenshot the graph and post it here and then we will see where the bottle neck is/was

Advertisements

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Bootvis file is 82MB, and the imit here is 1 MB. Now what?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
A screenshot of the last graph will do (jpeg format 0

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Here are the bootvis graphs.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bootvis Graph 1.JPG
  • Bootvis Graph 2.JPG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
All of the AOL and Apple mobile devices are taking the time, do you need them to run at start ?

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm confused. First, how come this Apple Mobile Device startup isn't on my codestuff starter program? And all those AOL startups are only from the AOL fast Start?

What about it taking so long to get to the User window? That's 4 mins that shouldn't be.

How do I disable that Apple program from starting?

It's always been fast with the AOL fast start checked on startup.

We're almost there. I can feel it. :-)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets start

Go to BlackVipers page here

Select the safe column and following the directions set the services as directed. Any Apple services should be set to manual

Once done let me know if there is an improvement

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I switched 2 thiings to Manual, the Apple Mobile Device and BonJour.

I rebooted and unfortunately, I think it was even worse. It took 1:30 to get to the Wndows User screen, and 6 minutes to boot up after that.

I saw someone online that used a program, Startup Delayer, to delay certain starting programs that conflicted eachother so they wouldn't battle eachother at startup, therefore speeding up the load.

I downloaded it and have attached a jpeg of what programs I have starting up. Which programs would you recommend delaying so it would startup quicker? Do you think this will help?

Attached Thumbnails

• DelayedStart.JPG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You will still have a problem as they will need to load at some stage

I would suggest that you download Startup.cpl from here
Download the Startup Control panel version. This will install it to your control panel from where you will run it

Now run the programme and disable everything bar your antivirus
Reboot and see if there is an improvement
If a programme does not run properly then just run the control panel programme again and re-enable the relevant programme

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I stopped a lot of programs from starting. Unfortunately, there was no difference. It still took over 4 mins after the User screen. what could the virus have done to make this so slow? Something must have changed the parameters somewhere? But where?

I thank you for the continuous trying. Are you getting tired of this yet?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not yet :lol:

OK there are more things we can try

First will be a disc check

A nice little step by step guide here

Follow that up with a good defragment using a third party tool (much better than windows)

Download Auslogics disc defrag (untick the Babylon toolbar, you do not want it )

Set Auslogics to boot defrag and optimise system files... The first run may take an hour

Once done let me know the result

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Essexboy, I have a lot to tell you.

1. I ran the check disk and fix, and it took several hours. Unfortunately the first time I thought I told it to run, it didn't, even though I thought it did, and then I defragmented with the program you told me to use. There was an advice to check my file disk and then I reran the check disk, and it ran. For hours! LOL.

2. While it was defraging, a virus waring popped up. Check out the attachment. I removed it, however, this TR virus warning has been popping up over the last week, several times. I attached the jpeg of the defrag as well. Let me know if I have to do that again?

3. I just went to start my computer, and it took forever this time. I notice that it hangs up for a few minutes after the Avira closed umbrella icon loads. It takes forever for it to open, but it REALLY takes forever after the wireless icon loads. The Avira is starting it's update then, and the entire computer, even though it's a dual processor Dell Vostro 1500, is useless until the update is finished! Noting will open. Tha never used to be the case.

4. I had unchecked the Aol fast start yesterday when you told me to see if that made a difference, which it didn't. Now, even though I have rechecked it to start on windows, it doesn't exist in my starter program. It will only comeback AFTER I go to aol settings, and open my start up page, and even though it's checked there to start on windows startup, unless I hit save, it won't appear on my starter. I refresh my Starter after I save the settings, and it's there again. Any ideas why it keeps disappearing?

5. It took 13 minutes from the User screen until I was able to open AOL, after the update for Avira.

Thank you as always.

Allan

Attached Thumbnails

• Virus warning.JPG
  • defrag results 4-10-12.JPG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I am not that conversant with Avira, but would you be averse to swapping it for another free AV ?

The detected element is in the system restore folder and is of no real import

slippybippy

slippybippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I wouldn't mind trying another free AV. I also notice that there is a 3-4 second hang up on certain clicks, when it used to pop open quickly.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK download the following programmes to your desktop

Avast

Avira Cleaner

From control panel add/remove programmes uninstall Avira
After the reboot run the Avira tool

Run the Avast installer
If you do not want the Chrome browser then deselect it